Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #12,001 of 13,350
Could you post picturesof your Valhalla 2 turned on?? Mine has been on forthree days, and i am enjoying it very muvh with my HD600, but some of the tubes are quite jiggly, and their light is very dim. I cant notice iff they twosmall tubes are on when i look at them from the front . I have been comparing them to the magni 2 uber and at 12 o'clock , the magni is coniderably louder thanthe Valhalla.

Is all this normal??

Have you flipped the GAIN switch in the back to HI (as in up direction) on V2? If not, you are at low gain and your HD600 will sound "quiet" unless you turn the dial to 12 o'clock as you described.
For jiggly tubes, you may not have the tubes seated properly. I had to bend some of my tube pins to align better to the socket to seat better. No jiggling after that.

This is my first post, so I guess I can't attach an image.
When I look down 45 degrees at my V2 and I can see all the tubes glowing orange. Right tubes are slightly dimmer than the left ones though.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #12,002 of 13,350
Have you flipped the GAIN switch in the back to HI (as in up direction) on V2? If not, you are at low gain and your HD600 will sound "quiet" unless you turn the dial to 12 o'clock as you described.
For jiggly tubes, you may not have the tubes seated properly. I had to bend some of my tube pins to align better to the socket to seat better. No jiggling after that.

This is my first post, so I guess I can't attach an image.
When I look down 45 degrees at my V2 and I can see all the tubes glowing orange. Right tubes are slightly dimmer than the left ones though.

Yes, @beryguu, the gain is set to hi. I did push it and at 3 o'clock the SPL iis hearing-damaging.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #12,003 of 13,350
@alitomr, Here is a picture of my V2 tube glow for you to compare yours to. I don't know how other V2s look like though.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #12,004 of 13,350
Mine is pretty consistent with that photo, both front and back tubes look identical to their mates.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #12,005 of 13,350
i need some advice 

i have a sound card the asus stx as my dac and the Vallhalla 2 as my amp the sound is good and powerfull but the base is not that good its like its fake !!

i heard the JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 

the base was good 

i have 2 choices 

eather i get the 

JDS LABS THE ELEMENT 

or

Bifrost

wich you recomend for me

i love it to be simple 

if ther is minmum difrince for the elment vs  Vallhalla 2+Bifrost

i will go with the elment 

pls hellp me diside

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #12,006 of 13,350
The "4490" version of the Bifrost has nice bass slam, if a slight bloom/exaggeration to it compared to the Multi-bit version, and that'd be my vote vs. the Element if I was going to buy a DAC.

Of course, we don't know if you're looking for greater bass extension, higher bass volume, or you want more articulation ... since "it sounds fake" doesn't tell us very much.

Given your headphones, though, I'd first try applying some EQ in your player, as that's far more likely to give you what you want and won't cost you anything but a bit of trial and error.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #12,007 of 13,350
  The "4490" version of the Bifrost has nice bass slam, if a slight bloom/exaggeration to it compared to the Multi-bit version, and that'd be my vote vs. the Element if I was going to buy a DAC.

Of course, we don't know if you're looking for greater bass extension, higher bass volume, or you want more articulation ... since "it sounds fake" doesn't tell us very much.

Given your headphones, though, I'd first try applying some EQ in your player, as that's far more likely to give you what you want and won't cost you anything but a bit of trial and error.

thx for the reply my only isue is the base is week ther is no kick i cant feel it the wierd thing is my stx hase better base 

after searching i found that tube amps are not good for base the solid state amps have better base if i trade my amp for a 

JDS Labs - The Element will it be a upgrade or its not worth 

and thx for the reply i relay appreciate it

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #12,008 of 13,350
thx for the reply my only isue is the base is week ther is no kick i cant feel it the wierd thing is my stx hase better base 

after searching i found that tube amps are not good for base the solid state amps have better base if i trade my amp for a 

The amp in the element will be a significant downgrade from your valhalla 2 for your hd650. I use a Bifrost 4490 and Valhalla 2 stack for my own 650s and bass slam is good. If you want to spend less than what the Bifrost costs, the Modi 2 Uber now comes with the 4490 chip as well for $150. Would be almost as good as the Bifrost.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #12,009 of 13,350
The amp in the element will be a significant downgrade from your valhalla 2 for your hd650. I use a Bifrost 4490 and Valhalla 2 stack for my own 650s and bass slam is good. If you want to spend less than what the Bifrost costs, the Modi 2 Uber now comes with the 4490 chip as well for $150. Would be almost as good as the Bifrost.

Lets not forget you can now also get the Modi Multibit for 250! 

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #12,010 of 13,350

Tube amps not good for bass?  Not sure where you heard that ... but it's not accurate.  I've got three of them (WA5-LE, WA6, Lyr 2) and they definitely deliver the goods!  

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #12,011 of 13,350
Has anyone compared the upsampling done by SoX to that done by the megaburrito filter?

Right now I have minimserver using ffmpeg/sox to upsample/convert everything to 96Khz/24b WAV (limit of my system) and I think it sounds good.

Curious as to whether native samplerate WAV into Schiit MB tech sounds better.  Although, my preamplifier upsamples everything to 96Khz to do its room correction so I do not think I will actually get native sample rates to the DAC.

Due to the above I don't think I can take full advantage of the Yggy so it's either Gumby or upgrade my Uber to Bimby.  Maybe, due to the above, Bimby is as good as I can take advantage of.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #12,012 of 13,350

Tube amps not good for bass?  Not sure where you heard that ... but it's not accurate.  I've got three of them (WA5-LE, WA6, Lyr 2) and they definitely deliver the goods!  

Agreed.  Older tube designs and many tube guitar amplifiers can have a spongy bass.  But done right, like the above listed amps, bass is absolutely rocking.  

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #12,013 of 13,350
Can anyone find a V1 Modi for under $100 right now? I have the Magni V1 and just got a nice Denon SACD player with optional DAC bypass through digital coaxial.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #12,014 of 13,350
  Can anyone find a V1 Modi for under $100 right now? I have the Magni V1 and just got a nice Denon SACD player with optional DAC bypass through digital coaxial.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiit-Modi-Magni-Dac-Amp-Stack-Combo-/252489636692?hash=item3ac98e1b54:g:qoEAAOSwtnpXpOGX

This includes a Magni but right now the bid is $86 plus shipping. It may well go higher. There are also a couple Modi 2's there for reasonable prices as well but it sounds like you are seeking a version 1.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #12,015 of 13,350
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiit-Modi-Magni-Dac-Amp-Stack-Combo-/252489636692?hash=item3ac98e1b54:g:qoEAAOSwtnpXpOGX

This includes a Magni but right now the bid is $86 plus shipping. It may well go higher. There are also a couple Modi 2's there for reasonable prices as well but it sounds like you are seeking a version 1.

I saw. I'm not too interested in auctions and watching things. I'm a "buy it now" kind of guy. It seems like it's the only one available though. WHY ARE THEY SO RARE?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back