Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #12,016 of 13,350
I saw. I'm not too interested in auctions and watching things. I'm a "buy it now" kind of guy. It seems like it's the only one available though. WHY ARE THEY SO RARE?!

I rarely watch things on Ebay, I generally throw a bid out there and see if I get an email saying i won it; if not the search goes on.  I liked the fact that if won, you can sell of the Magni and not have much in the Modi but each of us has their own perspective.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #12,017 of 13,350
The amp in the element will be a significant downgrade from your valhalla 2 for your hd650. I use a Bifrost 4490 and Valhalla 2 stack for my own 650s and bass slam is good. If you want to spend less than what the Bifrost costs, the Modi 2 Uber now comes with the 4490 chip as well for $150. Would be almost as good as the Bifrost.

ok so if i use the dac in the Element and the valhalla 2 as a amp will the element dac god as the  Modi 2 Uber or the Bifrost not performance per dollar just in general 

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #12,018 of 13,350
I wonder why the Gungnir is out of stock instead of backordered. Will there be change to the Gungnir? 

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #12,020 of 13,350
I have a 2 questions a own the shiit Magni 2 Uber and the Power Supply “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer the lenght is too short in my new room.

1 - Is there an alternative for the power supply another brand of so ?
2-  Is there some kind of adapter to have more length 

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #12,021 of 13,350
I have a 2 questions a own the shiit Magni 2 Uber and the Power Supply “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer the lenght is too short in my new room.

1 - Is there an alternative for the power supply another brand of so ?
2-  Is there some kind of adapter to have more length 

Extension cord from the outlet to the wall wart.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #12,022 of 13,350
Aug 15, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #12,023 of 13,350
   Ok but i wonder if there is another alternative for replacing the big power supply ?

You can always search for a smaller supply but you have to be certain it matches what you are currently using. The voltage rating should not be too hard to match but it is the current rating (usually in amps or milliamps) that is real important. Personally I would go with Letmebefrank's suggestion.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #12,024 of 13,350
Hello All,

I am loving my Valhalla 2. I think it's a considerable upgrade over the magni 2 uber to power the Sennheiser HD600. I am considering trying the Asgard 2 because even though I really like the Valhalla 2, I can't deny I find myself longing for the attack, speed and brightness of my speakers (Klipsch). In my already extensive comparisons I have found that some songs, even when they dont sound better as more clear or dynamic, do sound more fun to me on the magni 2 uber. Granted, those are just certain songs, and identifying a genre or even a pattern of songs or styles have been quite hard. I have been unable to do it, so at this point I am thinking about it being because of synergies that depend on a lot of really hard to determine factors, in which I think the preference of the recording engineers for certain sound signature or qualities/attributes for the final mix plays a heavy role. 

With all that said, would you think the asgard 2 would give me what I am looking without sacrificing the overall clarity, resolution and smoothness that the Valhalla 2 has above the magni 2 uber??

I think the magni 2 uber sound great, but often I think it falters when driving the HD600, making it sound congested, sometimes nasal, shouty,  in complex passages of music. What I want is the overall magni 2 uber attack (solid state attribute?) without its shortcomings, already fixed by the Valhalla 2, imho. Is it Asgard 2 or are there tubes for the Valhalla that could make them sound brighter, closer to the magni 2 uber??

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #12,025 of 13,350
  Hello All,

I am loving my Valhalla 2. I think it's a considerable upgrade over the magni 2 uber to power the Sennheiser HD600. I am considering trying the Asgard 2 because even though I really like the Valhalla 2, I can't deny I find myself longing for the attack, speed and brightness of my speakers (Klipsch). In my already extensive comparisons I have found that some songs, even when they dont sound better as more clear or dynamic, do sound more fun to me on the magni 2 uber. Granted, those are just certain songs, and identifying a genre or even a pattern of songs or styles have been quite hard. I have been unable to do it, so at this point I am thinking about it being because of synergies that depend on a lot of really hard to determine factors, in which I think the preference of the recording engineers for certain sound signature or qualities/attributes for the final mix plays a heavy role. 

With all that said, would you think the asgard 2 would give me what I am looking without sacrificing the overall clarity, resolution and smoothness that the Valhalla 2 has above the magni 2 uber??

I think the magni 2 uber sound great, but often I think it falters when driving the HD600, making it sound congested, sometimes nasal, shouty,  in complex passages of music. What I want is the overall magni 2 uber attack (solid state attribute?) without its shortcomings, already fixed by the Valhalla 2, imho. Is it Asgard 2 or are there tubes for the Valhalla that could make them sound brighter, closer to the magni 2 uber??

What do you mean by nasal and shouty? Do you mean dull or lacking treble as one's hearing might be affected by a cold?

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #12,026 of 13,350
@StanD, I really dont know how to describe nasal. I think it's as if you had a cold yes. The shouty part is what I hear when the lack of instrument separation and prominent MIDS are really hard to bear, get really uncomfortable to listen to. It happens quite often with the magni 2 uber. 

To be honest, the Valhalla 2 brings out qualities in the HD600 that I thought they didn't have. Noticing how things that bothered me improved or disappeared makes me think about upgrading the amplification of my speaker system... that's for another thread...

Did I explain myself better now?

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #12,027 of 13,350
  @StanD, I really dont know how to describe nasal. I think it's as if you had a cold yes. The shouty part is what I hear when the lack of instrument separation and prominent MIDS are really hard to bear, get really uncomfortable to listen to. It happens quite often with the magni 2 uber. 

To be honest, the Valhalla 2 brings out qualities in the HD600 that I thought they didn't have. Noticing how things that bothered me improved or disappeared makes me think about upgrading the amplification of my speaker system... that's for another thread...

Did I explain myself better now?

Maybe there's something wrong with your Magni, you should check with Schiit. Some folks have complained that the Magni is too bright, which is not what you seem to have described. I have never found it to be bright. and also have an Asgard 2 and HD600 and found that or with the Magni sounded very similar. So perhaps there is something going on with your Magni. Did you try it on a low impedance can that requires some measure of power, like a Planar?

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #12,028 of 13,350

Maybe there's something wrong with your Magni, you should check with Schiit. Some folks have complained that the Magni is too bright, which is not what you seem to have described. I have never found it to be bright. and also have an Asgard 2 and HD600 and found that or with the Magni sounded very similar. So perhaps there is something going on with your Magni. Did you try it on a low impedance can that requires some measure of power, like a Planar?

I never thought there could be something wrong with it. It IS BRIGHT, but it doesnt bother me at all. To the contrary, I like its brightness and it's the attribute I am looking for in another amp or maybe tube rolling with the Valhalla 2. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #12,029 of 13,350

I never thought there could be something wrong with it. It IS BRIGHT, but it doesnt bother me at all. To the contrary, I like its brightness and it's the attribute I am looking for in another amp or maybe tube rolling with the Valhalla 2. 

The Valhalla 2 with stock tubes is already considered a bright amp. If you want more brightness, maybe you should consider another headphone? Beyer DT990 comes to mind as a brighter headphone than HD600. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #12,030 of 13,350

Sounds like you are getting caught up in the downward spiral of "upgraditis"! You make it seem that your Val2 and 600's are synergistic enough to bring you enjoyment about 90% of the time. Seems pointless to chase a solution for only 10% of your problem. Trust me, you will never find a combo that gives you absolutely everything you are hoping to hear each and every time. If you manage to find another amp, tubes, etc. that corrects the small issues you notice, what effect will there be on the rest of the music that you are currently enjoying? If there is a sonic difference to the 10% there will also be a difference to the rest and it might not be a good change! Time to sit back and start enjoying the music and stop chasing a fix that will only have you end up trying to fix something else later. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back