Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 17, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #11,821 of 13,350

@ruleof72  The Vali 2 has preamp outs; you can just connect your powered speakers to that.  That's what I do with my Valhalla 2 and it works fine.

@ruleof72
Yup, just use the preamp outs. I had a similar setup where my previous Vali 2/Modi 2U stack (these powered the K7xx when I still had them) was connected to my speaker receiver.
Used to do the same with the Valhalla 2/Bifrost MB setup. Although, now I just run it straight from the Bifrost.

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #11,822 of 13,350
I do the same with a Valhalla 2 and some Martin Logan powered speakers and the results are quite good. I did eventually add a quality switch box so I could run a turntable pre-amp and other devices into the amp.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #11,823 of 13,350
  Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop system with some new Schiit and have a question on the best way to set things up.

My plan is to get the Modi2 Uber and connect it to my desktop computer. From there I want to add the Vali2 to power my K7xx and MadDog Pros.

The question comes from the fact that I also run a pair of powered monitors and would like to use just one DAC. Can I safely add splitters to the RCA outputs from the Modi2 and send signal to the Vali and my monitors?

Just want to be sure before I do anything.

Thanks for the help!

@ruleof72  The Vali 2 has preamp outs; you can just connect your powered speakers to that.  That's what I do with my Valhalla 2 and it works fine.

@ruleof72
Yup, just use the preamp outs. I had a similar setup where my previous Vali 2/Modi 2U stack (these powered the K7xx when I still had them) was connected to my speaker receiver.
Used to do the same with the Valhalla 2/Bifrost MB setup. Although, now I just run it straight from the Bifrost.

OK, I forgot about that option. Thanks for reminding me. Are the preamp outputs active when headphones are plugged into the amp or do I have to plug/unplug the headphones to use the preamp? My preference is to leave the headphones plugged in as I don't want to "wear out" the connector in the amp. Is that something I really need to be concerned about?

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #11,824 of 13,350
I have the Asgard 2 which also has preamp outputs. My M-Audio AV 40s are plugged into the preamp outs and when I plug in a pair of headphones the preamp outputs automatically shut off. If I remove the headphone plug the preamp outs turn back on.

You'll be fine so go ahead and enjoy that Schiit!

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #11,825 of 13,350
  I have the Asgard 2 which also has preamp outputs. My M-Audio AV 40s are plugged into the preamp outs and when I plug in a pair of headphones the preamp outputs automatically shut off. If I remove the headphone plug the preamp outs turn back on.

You'll be fine so go ahead and enjoy that Schiit!

The same is true of the Valhalla 2 of course. The only thing you might want to watch is the pre-amp output level that you feed into power speakers. The volume control on the Valhalla 2 will vary the pre-amp output level. I generally start at a low level and work my way up. If I want more power I adjust the speaker volume.  This may not be a factor for the powered speakers you mentioned but it is an issue for mine since they are expecting a line level source.
One of the biggest reasons I chose the Valhalla 2 was the pre-amp out. 

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #11,826 of 13,350
  The same is true of the Valhalla 2 of course. The only thing you might want to watch is the pre-amp output level that you feed into power speakers. The volume control on the Valhalla 2 will vary the pre-amp output level. I generally start at a low level and work my way up. If I want more power I adjust the speaker volume.  This may not be a factor for the powered speakers you mentioned but it is an issue for mine since they are expecting a line level source.
One of the biggest reasons I chose the Valhalla 2 was the pre-amp out. 

Right now I have the DAC connected to a Schiit Sys (which I forgot to mention in my original post) feeding the powered monitors. I have the volume level from the computer set at 100% and then adjust the volume to the monitors using the Sys. If I add the Vali to the chain would I need the Sys anymore?

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #11,827 of 13,350
  Right now I have the DAC connected to a Schiit Sys (which I forgot to mention in my original post) feeding the powered monitors. I have the volume level from the computer set at 100% and then adjust the volume to the monitors using the Sys. If I add the Vali to the chain would I need the Sys anymore?

I know you can run straight from the Dac to the Vali and then on to the speakers through the preamp out if you like. Like I said though, I can overdrive my speakers if I am not careful. I am sure there are plenty of people here who know about the Sys.
I would probably experiment but that is me, with my equipment. Vali 2 has a preamp out, the Sys is a passive preamp and powered speakers most likely have a preamp and amp so my short answer would be no, leave it out. While I might experiment, the Sys is one more thing that would be between the Vali and the speakers and that is rarely a good idea IMHO.

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #11,828 of 13,350
Paladin - I, too, lower the amplifier volume before plugging or unplugging the headphones. Also, when powering everything up I turn on the Asgard and wait for it to get up to full power (it's running Class A), next I turn on the Modi 2 DAC and then my AV 40's. (The AV 40's do not like having a power surge shot at them.)

ruleof72 - I agree with Paladin: skip the SYS. It isn't needed since your Vali will have its own preamp so no benefit in duplicating the circuitry.

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #11,829 of 13,350
  I know you can run straight from the Dac to the Vali and then on to the speakers through the preamp out if you like. Like I said though, I can overdrive my speakers if I am not careful. I am sure there are plenty of people here who know about the Sys.
I would probably experiment but that is me, with my equipment. Vali 2 has a preamp out, the Sys is a passive preamp and powered speakers most likely have a preamp and amp so my short answer would be no, leave it out. While I might experiment, the Sys is one more thing that would be between the Vali and the speakers and that is rarely a good idea IMHO.

Paladin - I, too, lower the amplifier volume before plugging or unplugging the headphones. Also, when powering everything up I turn on the Asgard and wait for it to get up to full power (it's running Class A), next I turn on the Modi 2 DAC and then my AV 40's. (The AV 40's do not like having a power surge shot at them.)

ruleof72 - I agree with Paladin: skip the SYS. It isn't needed since your Vali will have its own preamp so no benefit in duplicating the circuitry.

Thanks. That makes sense to me now. I guess when I get the amp I can ditch the Sys. Now the question is which amp to get. The Vali 2 is definitely affordable but I'm strangely drawn to the Valhalla 2 since it is a "pure" tube amp. I wonder how it would drive the AKG K7xx? I know the low impedence of the AKG might not be the best match but the efficiency is pretty high.

Any feedback.....? 

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #11,830 of 13,350
I am pleased with the Valhalla 2 and like the fact that I can swap tubes and shape the sound a bit. I doubt I have hooked more than five brands of headphones to the amp so there are certainly people with more experience who can help you with your choices.
I have a couple solid state amps but I lean toward the tube equipment personally; each to his or her own. 

I do hope to hear the MicroZOTL 2 (based on the patents of David Berning) the next time I am in DC and may grab one but it is triple the price of the Valhalla 2. I like choices and I like the fact that people are building equipment here.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #11,831 of 13,350
I have this hope that Schiit will make a rack for their stuff like SOTM does.  Or would the SOTM rack work?  Or is just stacking them good enough?

Here's the rack I mean: http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/audioarack/

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #11,832 of 13,350
I've had the vali 2 for a couple of months now and I couldn't be happier. I've been interested in adding some speakers to my setup for when I'm watching videos, editing, or working on music or anything else that I need a break from my headphones. Does anyone have any suggestions of some speakers that would pair well? I'm not trying to spend too much money and don't need anything crazy. Just something small that won't break the bank. I have some really old Logitech speakers that I've been using for about 8 years and they've finally died on me.
Guitar Center has a few options for $150 and under. I was looking at the http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/CR3-3-Creative-Reference-Multimedia-Monitors-Pair.gc

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #11,833 of 13,350
  I've had the vali 2 for a couple of months now and I couldn't be happier. I've been interested in adding some speakers to my setup for when I'm watching videos, editing, or working on music or anything else that I need a break from my headphones. Does anyone have any suggestions of some speakers that would pair well? I'm not trying to spend too much money and don't need anything crazy. Just something small that won't break the bank. I have some really old Logitech speakers that I've been using for about 8 years and they've finally died on me.
Guitar Center has a few options for $150 and under. I was looking at the http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/CR3-3-Creative-Reference-Multimedia-Monitors-Pair.gc

Consider the Dayton B652:
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/home-audio-video/finished-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/b652-air-6-1-2-bookshelf-speaker-pair-with-am.html
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-AIR-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00NOA58RS

Seems like one of the best entry values around, and I've heard of people using them with $10K electronics upstream with some degree of satisfaction. At 50 bucks, it won't break the bank...

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #11,834 of 13,350

Consider the Dayton B652:
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/home-audio-video/finished-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/b652-air-6-1-2-bookshelf-speaker-pair-with-am.html
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-AIR-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00NOA58RS

Seems like one of the best entry values around, and I've heard of people using them with $10K electronics upstream with some degree of satisfaction. At 50 bucks, it won't break the bank...

The Vali 2 preamp out is enough power for these I'm assuming?
Thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #11,835 of 13,350
Parts Express carries the Dayton B652 as well as several other speaker pairs in a similar price range. I have only run powered speakers from my Valhalla 2 but if speakers are efficient enough the vali 2 might push them.  I checked out the spec sheets I could find on the B652 but they did not give any minimum power requirements, only maximum power handling ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back