Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #11,836 of 13,350
I noticed the Dayton audio speakers only have speaker cable adapters. I don't have a stereo unit and wanted to run the speakers straight from my vali 2 because I use my pc as my main audio source. I would need to find speakers that have rca in and I'll be good to go?

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #11,837 of 13,350
I noticed the Dayton audio speakers only have speaker cable adapters. I don't have a stereo unit and wanted to run the speakers straight from my vali 2 because I use my pc as my main audio source. I would need to find speakers that have rca in and I'll be good to go?

You'll need powered speakers then, the Dayton ones are passive so they need a separate amp. For the price I quite like my B652s, I run them using a cheap amp from Amazon.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #11,838 of 13,350

If the Vali 2 can run those speakers you can go from an RCA connection to two speaker wires. I cannot comment on the ability of the vali 2 to do that but I could certainly help you out with a couple cables if those speakers are your choice. No charge.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #11,839 of 13,350

The dayton audio speakers will require a separate amp like the SMSL SA-50. To run straight off your vali 2 preamp outs you will need studio monitors with built in amplifiers.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #11,840 of 13,350

The dayton audio speakers will require a separate amp like the SMSL SA-50. To run straight off your vali 2 preamp outs you will need studio monitors with built in amplifiers.

Nice to see someone out of Indy, I am just a little south of there myself.  I was hesitant to say the pre-amp out would not push those speakers since people were recommending them but I am glad you cleared the air. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #11,841 of 13,350

Yes, sorry, as others have mentioned the Daytons require a speaker amp, so won't work with Vali 2.

A better choice would be a pair of powered monitors. Like the Mackie Mr5 MK II:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here/255#post_11971477
http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Series-MR5mk3-Powered-Monitor/dp/B00EA1U1X6

Not overly expensive either, at 100 bucks.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #11,842 of 13,350
Anyone using a Schiit Asgard 2 with Denon AH-D600's?  I just got my Asgard 2 in today. I have my windows and tidal volume set to 100%, but if I take the amp above 25% on high gain or 50% on low gain, I hear some distortion in the background at all times, wondering if that's normal?  I can't hear it until I hit those volume points, though.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #11,843 of 13,350
  Anyone using a Schiit Asgard 2 with Denon AH-D600's?  I just got my Asgard 2 in today. I have my windows and tidal volume set to 100%, but if I take the amp above 25% on high gain or 50% on low gain, I hear some distortion in the background at all times, wondering if that's normal?  I can't hear it until I hit those volume points, though.

What is your source?

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #11,844 of 13,350

What is your source?

Soundblaster Titanium X-Fi

When I completely unplug my RCA from the amp I can still hear a SLIGHT noise at 100% volume (very minimal), but it's not the same kind of buzzing I hear when the RCA plugs are in.  I have tried moving them around to see if it's some kind of interference but nothing has changed from moving the cord around.

Also when I have the RCA's unplugged from the sound card if they touch exposed skin it also causes the loud buzzing noise, same as when its plugged into the source.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #11,846 of 13,350
  What amp are you using?

Wasn't able to find it before, but took another look.

It's this (or similar, not sure if this is the exact model): https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2024A-Amplifier-Stereo-Supply/dp/B00ULRFQ1A

Very inexpensive and cheaply put together, but does work reasonably.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #11,847 of 13,350

When I completely unplug my RCA from the amp I can still hear a SLIGHT noise at 100% volume (very minimal), but it's not the same kind of buzzing I hear when the RCA plugs are in.  I have tried moving them around to see if it's some kind of interference but nothing has changed from moving the cord around.

Also when I have the RCA's unplugged from the sound card if they touch exposed skin it also causes the loud buzzing noise, same as when its plugged into the source.

This is normal. No gear is noise-free at 100% gain.

Also, since you maxed out your computer volume and you're hearing distortion, it's probably because the amp is clipping. Turn down the computer volume.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11,848 of 13,350
  This is normal. No gear is noise-free at 100% gain.

Also, since you maxed out your computer volume and you're hearing distortion, it's probably because the amp is clipping. Turn down the computer volume.

Well like I said, with the headphones and RCA cables connected, I can hear distortion at less than half volume.  I have turned the PC master volume down and that makes no difference with the buzzing noise.  It's still 100% just as audible with the PC volume turned down.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #11,849 of 13,350

So I'm assuming you're using Line Out from your Sound Blaster, so no "double-amping" involved?

Well, that's what you get with a noisy power in your PC. And then you might also have a ground loop (buzzing). Is your computer plugged into the same power outlet with Asgard 2?

And hence why external DAC is a much preferred source.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #11,850 of 13,350

So I'm assuming you're using Line Out from your Sound Blaster, so no "double-amping" involved?

Well, that's what you get with a noisy power in your PC. And then you might also have a ground loop (buzzing). Is your computer plugged into the same power outlet with Asgard 2?

And hence why external DAC is a much preferred source.

Yeah, line out from the SB card.  The PC and Asgard are plugged into the same APC surge protector but I attempted to unplug the Asgard and plugged it into a different outlet (in the same room) and that didn't help any.  It's not really "annoying", as I probably won't listen above 50% gain, but that's just music.  It's kinda annoying when I'm playing games and I can hear a constant low buzz when there's no ambient music going on in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back