Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #11,806 of 13,350

Nice entry-level stuff, when you gonna go high end?

LOL. After a 14 year hiatus from high-end gear, (as I retired and downsized to a smaller home and had to abandon my dedicated listening room, sigh), I decided to return to it with a high quality headphone station on a moveable rack/stand. After spending weeks reading on this and a few other forums/websites I decided to take the plunge. I've been using an MJ2 (my first Schiit) with tubes for several weeks and it is the best sounding Schiit I've heard in years. At first listen to those tubes my romance with the music in my CD collection was back like it hadn't been in years. I'm awaiting delivery of my Yggy and some LSST tubes (can't beat the flexibility MJ2 offers). And while I probably won't ever abandon some tube sound in my signal path I will probably go for a little action on the side with Raggy at some point. After I get some quality time in with Yggy (fed by the digital outs on my Emotiva ERC-3), the search for some additional top shelf headphones is my next step.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #11,807 of 13,350

LOL. After a 14 year hiatus from high-end gear, (as I retired and downsized to a smaller home and had to abandon my dedicated listening room, sigh), I decided to return to it with a high quality headphone station on a moveable rack/stand. After spending weeks reading on this and a few other forums/websites I decided to take the plunge. I've been using an MJ2 (my first Schiit) with tubes for several weeks and it is the best sounding Schiit I've heard in years. At first listen to those tubes my romance with the music in my CD collection was back like it hadn't been in years. I'm awaiting delivery of my Yggy and some LSST tubes (can't beat the flexibility MJ2 offers). And while I probably won't ever abandon some tube sound in my signal path I will probably go for a little action on the side with Raggy at some point. After I get some quality time in with Yggy (fed by the digital outs on my Emotiva ERC-3), the search for some additional top shelf headphones is my next step.

...Yggy (fed by the digital outs on my Emotiva...? You probably meant the Raggy.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #11,808 of 13,350
...Yggy (fed by the digital outs on my Emotiva...? You probably meant the Raggy.

Have I got it wrong? Emotiva digital outs (AES/EBU or Coax or Toslink) into Yggy the DAC's digital inputs and on to either MJ2 or Raggy inputs, and out to the headphones?

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #11,809 of 13,350

Have I got it wrong? Emotiva digital outs (AES/EBU or Coax or Toslink) into Yggy the DAC's digital inputs and on to either MJ2 or Raggy inputs, and out to the headphones?

No, not wrong ... your Emotive CD player feeds the DAC (Yggdrasil) via any of its digital outputs; Yggdrasil then feeds whichever amp you wish to use with either it's balanced or single-ended connections (balanced for either MJ2 or Ragnarok of course) and then that drives your headphones.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #11,810 of 13,350

No, not wrong ... your Emotive CD player feeds the DAC (Yggdrasil) via any of its digital outputs; Yggdrasil then feeds whichever amp you wish to use with either it's balanced or single-ended connections (balanced for either MJ2 or Ragnarok of course) and then that drives your headphones.

OK. After so many years out of the loop I have to stop and double check my thinking every time. My last DAC was the original Wadia with it's own separate transport, and there really wasn't much available in the way of true balanced outputs on equipment (that I was aware of - or that I could afford) back in 2000!

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #11,811 of 13,350
I will probably spend more time reading this thread than commenting. I do own a Valhalla 2 and was curious what you all think of the original tubes compared to others I might try. I am mainly interested in rolling the 6N1P's.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #11,812 of 13,350

Re: ... hum on the Uberfrost ...

For those who are interested I finally resolved my hum issue with my Uberfrost.  Different amps (my new-to-me Odyssey) and using XLR->RCA cables did it.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #11,813 of 13,350

It took many years of sacrifice and countless nights spent reading the innermost reviews (6moons head) and any news on matches between disparate hi-end components, to get to this configuration but now I enjoy the most of all this good of God to the sound of Studio Masters. Still advise everyone to buy the Yggdrasil, it is an extraordinary DAC and certainly the most amazing purchase I've ever made, does come to life to any music engraving!

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #11,814 of 13,350
It took many years of sacrifice and countless nights spent reading the innermost reviews (6moons head) and any news on matches between disparate hi-end components, to get to this configuration but now I enjoy the most of all this good of God to the sound of Studio Masters. Still advise everyone to buy the Yggdrasil, it is an extraordinary DAC and certainly the most amazing purchase I've ever made, does come to life to any music engraving!

Anyone compared the Yggdrasil with the PS Audio DirectStream DAC or the Junior version?

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #11,815 of 13,350
Anyone compared the Yggdrasil with the PS Audio DirectStream DAC or the Junior version?

Yes, I have ... with both, in fact ... as part of a big series of high-end DAC auditions preceding a DAC purchase for an additional headphone rig, which is being discussed in the "Life After Yggdrasil?" thread.

Right now I'm using the Yggdrasil to feed both a WA5LE and a Ragnarok, but the WA5LE is going to be moving to my main listening room and will need it's own, dedicated, DAC, so I'm seeing what's out there.

I haven't posted impressions yet ... probably won't until I get a bit further through the process, but figured I'd mention the thread in case you were interested and/or don't get any other feedback.

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #11,817 of 13,350
Never saw this thread before (I spend most of my time in the STAX thread) but I'm the satisfied owner of an Uberfrost. It's the source I use to feed my SRM-1 Mk2 amp and all of my electrostatic headphones. I really like it, though I am considering sending it in to get the multibit upgrade. Has anyone done the upgrade and is it worth the price?

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #11,818 of 13,350

You really need to audition the MB (multi bit) Uberfrost. IME, the MB is a little more revealing and resolving with deeper lower end extension. The regular Uberfrost is smoother (and lack of a better word, more digital).

I love the multi bit sound. You need to pick your flavor.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #11,819 of 13,350
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop system with some new Schiit and have a question on the best way to set things up.

My plan is to get the Modi2 Uber and connect it to my desktop computer. From there I want to add the Vali2 to power my K7xx and MadDog Pros.

The question comes from the fact that I also run a pair of powered monitors and would like to use just one DAC. Can I safely add splitters to the RCA outputs from the Modi2 and send signal to the Vali and my monitors?

Just want to be sure before I do anything.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back