Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #11,731 of 13,350
I have the Bifrost 4490 and the Asgard 2

I too wanted to try a tube amp. So went with the Ember 2 from garage1217.com. It is a giant step up to my ears. I couldn't be happier.

My LCD-X sound amazing with this configuration.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #11,732 of 13,350
hey guys, I have the Modi and Vali stack, Straight after power up I get a high pitch ringing noise in the right ear. I can then turn off the amp and turn it back on and the ringing is gone for a few minutes. After a while it comes back, so I power cycle again.

Is this a ground loop? and can I buy an isolator to fix?

Thanks,
Brendan.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #11,733 of 13,350
  hey guys, I have the Modi and Vali stack, Straight after power up I get a high pitch ringing noise in the right ear. I can then turn off the amp and turn it back on and the ringing is gone for a few minutes. After a while it comes back, so I power cycle again.

Is this a ground loop? and can I buy an isolator to fix?

Thanks,
Brendan.

I actually sold my original Vali - the current Vali I have I bought used.

My current Vali exhibited the issue you describe. Sent it into Schiit for repair - it now sounds better than my original Vali. I'm quite impressed!

Welcome to Head-Fi! Contact Schiit for assistance - they're probably closed on the weekend, but will get back to you immediately on a weekday. I am 110% satisfied with my repair.

P.S. I sold the original Vali not because I disliked it, but because I sold my headphones that paired with it. Vali is good!

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #11,734 of 13,350
Just notice there is a closeout sale of Mjolnir for $499. I was originally planned to get the Valhalla 2 $349. By just $150 difference, will the Mjolnir be much better than the Valhalla 2?

I will pair it with Gungnir 2 Multibit + HD650/Adam A7X...

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #11,735 of 13,350
  Just notice there is a closeout sale of Mjolnir for $499. I was originally planned to get the Valhalla 2 $449. By just $50 difference, will the Mjolnir be much better than the Valhalla 2?

I will pair it with Gungnir 2 Multibit + HD650/Adam A7X...

I had both in my system, connected to Gungnir Multibit, and played through Sennheiser HD650.
I preferred the Valhalla 2 over the Mjolnir.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #11,736 of 13,350
I had both in my system, connected to Gungnir Multibit, and played through Sennheiser HD650.
I preferred the Valhalla 2 over the Mjolnir.
They just replied me the same thing. Saying Valhalla 2 is better for high impedance headphone.. But I love the look of Gungnir 2 stacking up with the Mjornir and being able to use Mjornir as a pre-amp for my active speakers through balanced XLR..
I just couldn't have the best of both world unless I spend more :\

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #11,738 of 13,350
Anyone here that owns both the Magni 2 and the Vali 2? I already own the Magni 2, but I am really curious about tube amps. Is there a big enough sound difference between the two to justify owning both? Any comparison between the two would help a lot!

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #11,739 of 13,350
They just replied me the same thing. Saying Valhalla 2 is better for high impedance headphone.. But I love the look of Gungnir 2 stacking up with the Mjornir and being able to use Mjornir as a pre-amp for my active speakers through balanced XLR..
I just couldn't have the best of both world unless I spend more :\
I personally would not get a Mjolnir 1, even at closeout prices. The Mjolnir 2 can do single ended if you want it to (not possible on the original), and the 2 offers tube options, so you have a high-end amp that can be run entirely SS or as a tube hybrid depending on your mood.

The 2, IMO, is a much better value.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #11,740 of 13,350
Picked up an Asgard 2 to pair with my new set of LCD-X's.. The combo sounds amazing!! Next purchase will probably be a Bifrost

Nice. We have the same system.

I have the Bifrost 4490 and the Asgard 2 along with the LCD-X. I loved the combo.

Recently I wanted to experience what a tube amp would do for me. So I upgraded to the Ember 2 from Garage1217. And holy smokes, what a difference. A good one. And the amp is inexpensive. But what a difference.

Anyway, you have a great system. I love mine.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #11,741 of 13,350
Nice. We have the same system.

I have the Bifrost 4490 and the Asgard 2 along with the LCD-X. I loved the combo.

Recently I wanted to experience what a tube amp would do for me. So I upgraded to the Ember 2 from Garage1217. And holy smokes, what a difference. A good one. And the amp is inexpensive. But what a difference.

Anyway, you have a great system. I love mine.

Yeah for now I am using my Oppo HA-2 as a DAC only for my desktop setup.. Then the HA-2 for my off site (work) DAC/AMP.. Just picked up the LCD-X and Asgard so I better chill on the wallet fir a few months before the wife gets too annoyed lol.

May 1, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #11,742 of 13,350
I personally would not get a Mjolnir 1, even at closeout prices. The Mjolnir 2 can do single ended if you want it to (not possible on the original), and the 2 offers tube options, so you have a high-end amp that can be run entirely SS or as a tube hybrid depending on your mood.

The 2, IMO, is a much better value.
Taking what you mentioned above, I totally agreed with you. But the Mjornir 2 will be over my budget GUMB + MJ2 will be $2k+.. I guess I will just stick with Valhalla 2..

May 3, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #11,743 of 13,350
Which amp responds better to tube rolling. The lyr 2 or the Valhalla 2? I'm looking for something to compliment my asgard 2 and I love glass, so I figured let's go tubes. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Valhalla 2, but I keep getting conflicting reports on how it sounds. I may just have to try for myself.

May 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #11,744 of 13,350
Which amp responds better to tube rolling. The lyr 2 or the Valhalla 2? I'm looking for something to compliment my asgard 2 and I love glass, so I figured let's go tubes. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Valhalla 2, but I keep getting conflicting reports on how it sounds. I may just have to try for myself.

Well this is just my experience with tube vs ss guitar and bass amps but generally full tube amps are altered more by tube changes than hybrid ones. 

May 3, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #11,745 of 13,350
Well bad for me but great for you. Post your impressions. What are you connecting to the Yggy? I will be driving the Ragnarok with either my Grace or Oppo BD105. But I could be swayed. :sunglasses:

Sorry for the late response. Between letting the Yggy break in and being busy I haven't had a chance to post until now.

I might not be the best person to give a comparison type of impression since the only other DAC I own right now is the iDSD. I also have not heard either the Grace or Oppo BD105 before so I can not comment of the differences between the Yggy and those. I can say the Yggy has a wonderful sound to it that I've never heard before. The sound stage is quite impressive, and I can focus on voices and instruments that are playing in realistic way, almost like they are really there in front of me. Lead singers become almost tangible to me, and this is listening to music with headphones (Oppo PM-2) that I would consider to be upper mid-fi. I've read people say that better headphones, or better yet, good speakers, will make it sound even better.

Here is my setup: 2009 Dell PC running Windows 10 with Fidelizer Pro 7.1 streaming Tidal lossless over WASAPI --- Schiit Audio USB Cable --- Schiit Yggdrasil --- Schiit Balanced Cables --- Schiit Ragnarok --- Oppo PM-2 Headphones with Oppo Balanced Cable. 

Here is something that I noted in case you decide to try one for yourself:

The Yggy's sound really does change after it has warmed up for 3-7 days. When I first listened to it the day I received it, I loved it. Later that day I didn't like it anymore. In fact I started to think about returning it. After 3 days I started to notice a change in the sound. After a week it was like it went from being to warm and muddy to being just the right amount of warmth with excellent instrument separation and sound stage. Thoughts of returning the Yggy are completely gone.

I could go on and on about how much I love the Yggy, but I will stop here, unless you have more questions which I will gladly try to help answer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back