Schiit Owners Unite
May 3, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #11,746 of 13,350
Any reason NOT to run a Magni 2 in High gain mode all the time?

I have MacBook Air -> Modi -> Magni 2 -> HiFiman 400i, and prefer High gain mainly b/c I can keep the volume knob lower and adjust the volume in smaller increments. 

Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks!

May 3, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #11,747 of 13,350
  Any reason NOT to run a Magni 2 in High gain mode all the time?

I have MacBook Air -> Modi -> Magni 2 -> HiFiman 400i, and prefer High gain mainly b/c I can keep the volume knob lower and adjust the volume in smaller increments. 

Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks!

Nope. Feel free.

May 4, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #11,748 of 13,350
calling schiit customer service: Since you haven't replied to my cousin's email I'll post it here... Is it possible to buy an yggdrassil with the rca outs modded to 4 volts instead of the stock 2 volts? He wanted to buy one asap but he never got a reply to the email sent last weekend.

May 4, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #11,749 of 13,350
Good evening - I'm new to this forum, and new to Head-Fi, actually new to HiFi headphones.  Loving my first expierance and thank you all for all of the advice.  Sure does beat some of the ear-buds I've been playing with.   So much to learn!

So my first question . . .   Am I the first person to lose a tube inside the hole of a Mjolnir 2?  I picked up a cheap pair of 6Dj8's.    It's like it was in my hand one moment, and poof gone the next rattling around the circuit board!    There has to be an easier way to get these tubes in and out.

May 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #11,750 of 13,350
Read this first…
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/10560#post_12555875

Then depending upon your familiarity and expertise with taking electronic gear apart…

Make sure it's turned off, unplugged, and sits for a while before you…
Take the outer case off, to retrieve the tube…

OR

send it in to Schiit to have them to do it…

OR

have your neighborhood techno dweeb do it…
Good luck.

JJ
atsmile.gif

May 4, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #11,751 of 13,350
  calling schiit customer service: Since you haven't replied to my cousin's email I'll post it here... Is it possible to buy an yggdrassil with the rca outs modded to 4 volts instead of the stock 2 volts? He wanted to buy one asap but he never got a reply to the email sent last weekend.

Read this first…
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/10560#post_12555875

JJ
atsmile.gif

May 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #11,754 of 13,350

Am I the first person to lose a tube inside the hole of a Mjolnir 2?  I picked up a cheap pair of 6Dj8's.    It's like it was in my hand one moment, and poof gone the next rattling around the circuit board!    There has to be an easier way to get these tubes in and out.

Probably not the first one to do this, but maybe the first to admit it!
biggrin.gif
It's really not that hard. Buy some tube extenders and that makes it almost impossible for it to happen. The amp will also run slightly cooler.

May 5, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #11,755 of 13,350

Thanks - I got that one out w/ some help of gravity.  I rolled the unit around upside down until I got to the tube and gently pulled it out w/ a pair of needle nose pliers against a pin.

I have some plastic wrap that's used for furniture wrapping (like when you move), and it's quite sticky, especially against glass.  So I piece of that wrapped around the warm tube certainly helped wiggle them out.   Rolling trough LISST, OEM Tubes, and the new (old) 6DJ8's . . .  I'm favoring the 6DJ8's at this point.    I'll keep them in there for a while before playing with them again. 

I'll start searching for another set of tubes to see where it can go from here.

May 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #11,756 of 13,350

Thanks - I got that one out w/ some help of gravity.  I rolled the unit around upside down until I got to the tube and gently pulled it out w/ a pair of needle nose pliers against a pin.

I have some plastic wrap that's used for furniture wrapping (like when you move), and it's quite sticky, especially against glass.  So I piece of that wrapped around the warm tube certainly helped wiggle them out.   Rolling trough LISST, OEM Tubes, and the new (old) 6DJ8's . . .  I'm favoring the 6DJ8's at this point.    I'll keep them in there for a while before playing with them again. 

I'll start searching for another set of tubes to see where it can go from here.

I'd highly recommend buying a set of tube extenders first.  They really do make tube removal much easier as well as cooling the box.  Also, I'm completely anal about this, but I always wipe down my tubes with something like Windex to remove oils and other contaminants before installation.  The fact that tubes get HOT means contaminants will be baked into the glass.  The filament emissivity will probably die long before the surface contamination will weaken the glass, but it doesn't hurt to keep things clean.  That sticky plastic wrap you're talking about might leave a residue on the glass that should be removed.

May 5, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #11,758 of 13,350
Hey mates,
Im keen on buying Modi & Magni2. Can anyone kindly compare these with O2/ODAC?

I prefer clarity, crispiness & soundstage above all.

Thanks!

Here's one here on head-fi (although comparing the original Modi/Magni against the O2/ODAC):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac/0_20#post_8981854

(the whole thread is an interesting read)

May 5, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #11,759 of 13,350
May 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #11,760 of 13,350
  Thanks mate,

Overall it appears that Magni & Modi are a little better than O2/ODAC

also now that Magni2 & Modi 2 have arrived, these must be much better than O2/ODAC Rev.B?

The 2 versions have pretty similar performance to the originals, the biggest update to both was extra features. Modi 2 got the simple/expert switch to enable 24/192 and Magni 2 got a gain switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back