Schiit Owners Unite
May 5, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #11,761 of 13,350

The 2 versions have pretty similar performance to the originals, the biggest update to both was extra features. Modi 2 got the simple/expert switch to enable 24/192 and Magni 2 got a gain switch.

Yeah I had a Modi and bought a Modi 2 Uber, no discernible difference in my experience.

May 6, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #11,763 of 13,350
Just showed up today!

Look real neat!

I believe you are running HD600's on these. Thats a real warm & sweet sound
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #11,770 of 13,350
I am just very into the Schiit product with the very competitive price to performance ratio. I also like their appearance design of the stacks. Sometimes its just the aesthetics that makes me feel better and more satisfied. Well the sound quality is also very important and Schiit pulls it of perfectly. 
I am seriously looking into the Gumby/Mj2 stack upgrade.

May 7, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #11,771 of 13,350
I too feel Schiit is a great brand.

Especially their Magni & Modi, which provide excellent sound quality & value for money, an average music lover can buy those without breaking a bank.

Say, you can get Q701 for 200$ & Magni/Modi for 200$ = 400$, you have an excellent mid-level setup
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #11,772 of 13,350
I've contacted Schiit about this and already got an email from Nick T. but thought I'd throw this out to the collective wisdom.

I'm using my Uberfrost into an older Krell integrated amp (KAV-300IL).  The source into the Uberfrost is a preamp with digital out so digitally volume controlled.  Because the source is volume-controlled the Uberfrost uses a full-volume HT bypass input to the Krell.

Wit this setup I am getting hum.  If I disconnect the coax source to the Uberfrost I still get the hum.  Nick suggested I test with a cheater plug so I used a cord with the ground plug ripped off. Still with the hum.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions?  After I tried with no ground I told Nick that I think the unit needs to be serviced.

May 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #11,773 of 13,350
  I've contacted Schiit about this and already got an email from Nick T. but thought I'd throw this out to the collective wisdom.

I'm using my Uberfrost into an older Krell integrated amp (KAV-300IL).  The source into the Uberfrost is a preamp with digital out so digitally volume controlled.  Because the source is volume-controlled the Uberfrost uses a full-volume HT bypass input to the Krell.

Wit this setup I am getting hum.  If I disconnect the coax source to the Uberfrost I still get the hum.  Nick suggested I test with a cheater plug so I used a cord with the ground plug ripped off. Still with the hum.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions?  After I tried with no ground I told Nick that I think the unit needs to be serviced.

Do you have another amp to test the Uberfrost with? Also, does the hum go away if you unplug the RCA outs on the Uberfrost?

I suspect you've already tried the latter, but doesn't hurt to check :)

May 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #11,774 of 13,350

Do you have another amp to test the Uberfrost with? Also, does the hum go away if you unplug the RCA outs on the Uberfrost?

I suspect you've already tried the latter, but doesn't hurt to check :)

I have other amps but they are all inconveniently located for such a test.  But maybe I'll bestir myself!

And, yes, unplugging the RCA outs from the Uberfrost or the amp does eliminate the hum.

May 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #11,775 of 13,350

I have other amps but they are all inconveniently located for such a test.  But maybe I'll bestir myself!

And, yes, unplugging the RCA outs from the Uberfrost or the amp does eliminate the hum.

Definitely a ground loop of some kind. Switch to optical if you can. I've used optical for years just because it breaks up electrical connections between devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back