Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #11,626 of 13,350
I wonder how much difference in sound there is between the basic Modi 2 and the Uber.  I just have the Realtek onboard sound in my computer for now. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #11,627 of 13,350
I have the M2U stack and a pair of HD600 on the way. I read over in the Vali2 thread that the sound of the HD600 would improve on high gain. I feel a bit confused as I thought the only difference on high gain would be the volume.

So my question is; will there be an improvement to the SQ of the HD600 with the Magni2U on high gain instead of on low gain?

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #11,628 of 13,350
I can speak for the Magni 2U, but I'm running my Vali2 into my RS1e's right now (burning in the new cans) and the high gain mode makes everything sound fuller to me.  The low gain didn't sound bad, but the high gain is where it's at for me, but that's a different set of cans and amp, so YMMV significantly. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #11,630 of 13,350
I have the M2U stack and a pair of HD600 on the way. I read over in the Vali2 thread that the sound of the HD600 would improve on high gain. I feel a bit confused as I thought the only difference on high gain would be the volume.

So my question is; will there be an improvement to the SQ of the HD600 with the Magni2U on high gain instead of on low gain?

Sound will be equally good, but the hd600 will need the high gain

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #11,631 of 13,350
Hi guys, i'm new and i got some questions. Who have a good motherboard with shield iem protection,ALC1150  and can compare to his Schiit setup objectivly?
Does it sound better? Have a nice day :) (quote my post for better sav :D)

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #11,632 of 13,350
Feb 28, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #11,633 of 13,350

With the HD600 300Ω impedance they should be driven definitely in high gain. I am running 250Ω cans with the Vali 2 and subjectively the SQ is better on high gain, it feels like the highs open up a bit more. ​

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #11,634 of 13,350
My only Schiit product before recently was the original Magni. I switched it out for a Garage Polaris and listened to it for a while with my old DAC (MSii+) before finally breaking down and getting the BiMBy.

I now think Yggdrasil is my end game DAC.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #11,635 of 13,350
  Hi guys, i'm new and i got some questions. Who have a good motherboard with shield iem protection,ALC1150  and can compare to his Schiit setup objectivly?
Does it sound better? Have a nice day :) (quote my post for better sav :D)

Back to an other question: Lots of people compare high end soundcard like the STX II vs the schiit stack. In the end, i think the DAC are basicaly of the same quality.
But the integrated amp of the STX is not very good. Good for some headphone but bad for low impedance ones if i'm not mistaken. And people just say over it "drivers sucks and even with protections, it's still in a "dangerous" place and can not stop every parasites.

But if the STX II which does have better specs than the ALC1150 is the "same" in regard of the DAC, i do think (logicaly) that's the mod2 is better than the ALC1150..(??).

And an other thing bother me a lot, i'm sorry for not knowing so much on this subject, but an integrated codecs and a sound card does have a SNB value.
A very "marketed" value. The best integrated onboard is at this optimal performance "115db SNR" and for the soundcard it's never more than 124 if i'm not mistaken.

But this value... i don't see it on the Schiit or ODAC products? WHERE is the "Signal-to-noise ratio" of a DAC? is it the equivalent of the "Dynamic Range (A-Weighted)" you can find on odac specs? but the magni 2 is "> >104dB " (when the odac is 112) so it's inferior to an optimal integrated onboard dac and it even more compared to 124dB soundcard.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #11,639 of 13,350
  Ok, and how does the others stats does compare?

You can't reduce it to simply "stats".

If we went on spec, the highly integrated chipsets, like the ALC-1150, with their heavy software-augmentation are likely to always claim better performance.  Whether the implementation, in a given system or motherboard, ever approaches that theoretical spec is another matter entirely.  In most cases, they don't ... too much else going on that isn't properly remedied with a bit of tin slapped around the audio circuits.

It'd be like comparing the parts-cost of the ALC-1150 chipset to a decent modern 2-channel DAC chip with on-board filtering.  Looked at from that perspective, you'd expect the 2-channel DAC to significantly outperform something like the ALC-1150 since it's implementing FAR less functionality at the same, or lower, price point (I think the ALC-1150 has 10 DACs, 2 ADCs, multiple amps and all sorts of other stuff on board ... vs. 2 DACs and a couple or so filters).

However, the "proof" is in the listening ...

I haven't heard any on-board audio chipset, ALC-1150 included, that I preferred over the entry-level Schiit products.  Whether that's down to the hardware itself or an effect of the morass of Windows-Audio nonsense riding on top of it, I don't know.  Now, that's not MY system ... but it is a system I'm pretty familiar with - and it's owner would take the Schiit gear over the on-board stuff, or his more recently acquired higher-end sound-card when it comes to listening to music.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #11,640 of 13,350
Greetings All,

I just found this thread and am a proud owner of a Valhalla 2 & Bifrost (not multibit).  The Val runs stock tubes and the Bifrost is connected to my PC via USB.  Between my ears and the electronics sit a pair of HD700's.  I gotta say I love the setup which is only a couple months old.  Being an apartment dweller and computer geek, I spend most of my waking time in front of the keyboard and the bass from my subwoofer can easily punch through the paper walls of the apartment.  So, in trying to be a good neighbor, I'm doing a LOT more headphone listening and I don't think it's a compromise at all.  I'm definitely glad I found out about all this Schiit!
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back