Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 26, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #9,556 of 13,350
Hi I own both amps, and if you want a end game type of performance, then get the lyr2. You can find relatively inexpensive tubes for your lyr2. You should, contact Bob, @rb2013 a fine gentleman who, can possibly help hook you up with marvellous vokshods NOS tubes. Go to the lyr tube rolling threads and look around. One can get better r tubes, than the stock, without going down the rabbit hole.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I ever won the lottery, I would happily do a swan dive into that hole, and embrace the tube addict within:D

I'm just afraid I'll end up getting a Lyr and I look to find tubes and the only good ones are $400 or something obscene. I've heard a bunch about those Voskhod rockets, and it seems like those are going to be the ones I'll like, but I'm hoping I'll find more info on all of it. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #9,557 of 13,350
  I'm just afraid I'll end up getting a Lyr and I look to find tubes and the only good ones are $400 or something obscene. I've heard a bunch about those Voskhod rockets, and it seems like those are going to be the ones I'll like, but I'm hoping I'll find more info on all of it. 

Absolutely no need to spend that much on tubes.  What your limit is only you can answer.  You will have to do research and learn what's what, but there are plenty of good deals on eBay, and the folks in the tube rolling thread are quite willing to lend a hand with questions.  Just don't expect them to make decisions for you, though I suppose if that's what you wanted, some would be happy to spend your money for you 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #9,558 of 13,350

Ask lots of questions and read people reviews. The next tubes I get will be the voskkhod rockets. I fell down the whole and spent 200$ on Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. Those tubes are bloody fantastic but I feel bad using them all the time. Happy rolling.:)

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #9,559 of 13,350

According to what I've read from others in this thread, with the stock tubes it sounds just as neutral as their other amps. So if you (or I as well, since I have my eye on the Lyr 2 as something to perhaps buy months from now) want something other than a neutral sound, tube rolling would be the way to go, but otherwise, not really necessary, unless tube rolling also involves getting different sound signatures with the same frequency response -- which would surprise me.

I have to wonder what benefits there are to mechanical modifications that equalization cannot accomplish.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #9,561 of 13,350
  In a bit of a fudge here, though I settled on the Lyr2 to be my end-game amp by the end of this year when I get it, I'm torn now between that and the Asgard2. I know that the Asgard has more solid performance (lower distortion, noise floor, stuff) than Lyr but I don't know about how it sounds in comparison. I keep reading good things about the Lyr, but 'upgrade tubes' comes up in almost every intelligent review or opinion. Tubes aren't exactly all over the place and easily affordable, so I'm getting weary of the Lyr and starting to do research on the Asgard. Do the two amps sound really different, and what do they sound like in comparison with eachother? Also, which one has closer to end-game performance without getting too close to analytical? 

I'm also going to have to go through the whole Lyr tube rolling thread, aren't I? :p

So what is it about the Magni + HE-500 that falls short for you?

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #9,562 of 13,350

Absolutely no need to spend that much on tubes.  What your limit is only you can answer.  You will have to do research and learn what's what, but there are plenty of good deals on eBay, and the folks in the tube rolling thread are quite willing to lend a hand with questions.  Just don't expect them to make decisions for you, though I suppose if that's what you wanted, some would be happy to spend your money for you 
wink.gif

I'm definitely looking to be led around on a leash, it'll be a change from what I usually do. ;p Probably $200, maybe less'll be my price range, and I'll only get a few pairs.

Ask lots of questions and read people reviews. The next tubes I get will be the voskkhod rockets. I fell down the whole and spent 200$ on Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. Those tubes are bloody fantastic but I feel bad using them all the time. Happy rolling.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like you're having yourself a good time. Give into it, become a tube hoarder!

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #9,563 of 13,350

According to what I've read from others in this thread, with the stock tubes it sounds just as neutral as their other amps. So if you (or I as well, since I have my eye on the Lyr 2 as something to perhaps buy months from now) want something other than a neutral sound, tube rolling would be the way to go, but otherwise, not really necessary, unless tube rolling also involves getting different sound signatures with the same frequency response -- which would surprise me.

I have to wonder what benefits there are to mechanical modifications that equalization cannot accomplish.

I like neutrality, but I also like my music to be exciting as well. I'll learn more about what tubes to to the frequency response when I look it up. :p

Nothing's really falling short other than the lack of preamp outs and gain switch. I've never actually heard another amp, so I don't know what anything else sounds like, but I figured if I'm going to be upgrading I might as well throw in the extra power and control over the volume knob, as well as gain and preamp outs when I do so. Besides, I'm getting into speakers next. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #9,564 of 13,350
Reddog,
You have Lyr and Ragnarok?

Look on his profile. He has more than that.

By the way, someone told me this yesterday about the HE-500:

The only thing I think I need to mention is, your amp is not powerful at all to drive well HE-500. You really need a good amp with huge current. I tried Schiit Lyr, which was great. Also the ALO PanAm is another great matchl.

I don't know the calculation but the power is not the only thing that matters. You need right power for details, treble, bass etc. Lyr did great job, I don't know about Magni.

Thoughts?

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #9,567 of 13,350
Quote:

By the way, someone told me this yesterday about the HE-500:

Thoughts?
The only thing I think I need to mention is, your amp is not powerful at all to drive well HE-500. You really need a good amp with huge current. I tried Schiit Lyr, which was great. Also the ALO PanAm is another great matchl.

I don't know the calculation but the power is not the only thing that matters. You need right power for details, treble, bass etc. Lyr did great job, I don't know about Magni.

If you do the math the Magni has more than enough clean power to hurt your hearing. There are far too many myths about power requirements that are excessive and thus are never used and cannot contibute one iota to SQ. Thus such claimed "power reserves" are useless and part of the ongoing anecdotes that spin on the forums.
I'm sure you remember the string of posts on DR and how many dBSPL one really needs. For some folks, imagination rules over all sense.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #9,569 of 13,350
I'm definitely looking to be led around on a leash, it'll be a change from what I usually do. ;p Probably $200, maybe less'll be my price range, and I'll only get a few pairs.

Sounds like you're having yourself a good time. Give into it, become a tube hoarder!

I would but I just preordered MrSpeakers ETHER headphones and planning on getting the Yggdrasil, soon too. I will get some tubes, in November, to celebrate my birthday.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #9,570 of 13,350
  If you do the math the Magni has more than enough clean power to hurt your hearing. There are far too many myths about power requirements that are excessive and thus are never used and cannot contibute one iota to SQ. Thus such claimed "power reserves" are useless and part of the ongoing anecdotes that spin on the forums.
I'm sure you remember the string of posts on DR and how many dBSPL one really needs. For some folks, imagination rules over all sense.

Yeah, I was the one who sparked that conversation here, if I recall.

I just calculated the power, voltage, and current requirements for the HE-500:

I don't know how relevant voltage and current is. Schiit doesn't seem to release those specs for their amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back