Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #8,881 of 13,350
There may be a clip inside the knob , that may have compressed to much when being built. It looks like a pressure fit knob. Best solution is to glue it on or see if you can bend the clip inside the knob , outward. Hope it all works out for you. Cheers.
It would be easier for me to find a thin metal object. XD

Thanks for your help.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #8,883 of 13,350
Ok here's my Schiit

Home system:  Lyr 2 with Sennheiser HD650
Work system:  Valhalla with Denon AH-D1000
Extra:  Vali, being replaced by the Valhalla

I struggled over purchasing the Lyr vs. the Valhalla without having listened to either, now I have both to compare.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #8,885 of 13,350
The difference that I found between the Valhalla and the lyr , was dynamics and soundstage. Imo the lyr wins in both categories.YMMV. Sold my Valhalla.
Ok here's my Schiit

I struggled over purchasing the Lyr vs. the Valhalla without having listened to either, now I have both to compare.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,886 of 13,350
  Ok here's my Schiit

That is a nice problem to have. I also have both and enjoy them both.
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #8,887 of 13,350
Yeah, I've read the same, but I didn't want to spend that much on another Lyr 2.

The Valhalla I got is new in box but at a significant reduction in cost.  I felt like I had no choice but to try it out.  It's also for my work system, which I typically cannot sit back and just concentrate on the music nearly as much.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #8,888 of 13,350
No doubt it's an awesome amp. Especially when you get a good deal on it. I probably wouldn't have my lyr, if I didn't see the blow out sale at schiit when they had the lyr1 for $259 b-stock.
Yeah, I've read the same, but I didn't want to spend that much on another Lyr 2.

The Valhalla I got is new in box but at a significant reduction in cost.  I felt like I had no choice but to try it out.  It's also for my work system, which I typically cannot sit back and just concentrate on the music nearly as much.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #8,889 of 13,350
Just got my Valhalla 1, which is techinally my first tube amp.
Question: 
Is it better to leave it running rather than turn it off and on for short gaps of time; for example, turning it off for 5-10mins for a shower then back on?

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #8,890 of 13,350
  Just got my Valhalla 1, which is techinally my first tube amp.
Question:
Is it better to leave it running rather than turn it off and on for short gaps of time; for example, turning it off for 5-10mins for a shower then back on?

Leaving it on unattended for short periods like that is fine. 24/7 probably not the best idea. Your concern really is tube life. The electronics inside the amp will be fine of course.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #8,892 of 13,350
  How do they differ, soundwise?

I, and other owners of Schiit amps will tell you that there is little or no perceived sonic differences between the Schiit amps.  This is to be expected in a well designed amplifier. An amplifier should add no coloration, only faithfully reproduce what it is given. 

I'm not a tube roller so I cannot speak to the sonic differences obtained by the practice.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #8,893 of 13,350
I, and other owners of Schiit amps will tell you that there is little or no perceived sonic differences between the Schiit amps.  This is to be expected in a well designed amplifier. An amplifier should add no coloration, only faithfully reproduce what it is given. 

I'm not a tube roller so I cannot speak to the sonic differences obtained by the practice.

+1 Well said sir.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #8,894 of 13,350
Hi all.
I posted a few weeks ago about receiving my HD600 and a modi/vali combo. High end seems too tame for my 60 year old ears. It was recommended I try some brighter headphones. I did. Tried a pair of Beyer and a pair of v-moda. They were brighter. Problem was I couldn't wear them for any length of time. So,I know it's admirable to make an amp neutral,but is there an amp or amp/dac combo that would be brighter than the Schiit combo?
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #8,895 of 13,350
  Hi all.
I posted a few weeks ago about receiving my HD600 and a modi/vali combo. High end seems too tame for my 60 year old ears. It was recommended I try some brighter headphones. I did. Tried a pair of Beyer and a pair of v-moda. They were brighter. Problem was I couldn't wear them for any length of time. So,I know it's admirable to make an amp neutral,but is there an amp or amp/dac combo that would be brighter than the Schiit combo?
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Hi Howard,

I don't think the problem is with your amp. However, the tube amps (vali) tend to sound a bit warmer (less tame you could put it that way). Solid State amplifiers would perhaps be just ever so slightly better. I think your best bet would be to try more headphones with more high-end emphasis. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back