Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #7,471 of 13,350
Thanks guys. I need to do more research on the Wyrd. It keeps popping up on my radar.

i've heard good things, and its cheap

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #7,472 of 13,350
  i've heard good things, and its cheap

But we don't know why it works! (if it works)

The 'why' here is a subcategory of the question of why different DAC input sound different -- they are all the same digital data, reclocked by the DAC.  Is this all ground noise?  That can't be for optical, and USB sounds better than optical on the Gungnir with Wyrd and Gen 2 UBS...are optical cables that bad?  I do think so for really cheap cables (I've heard differences, which I can put into the category of dysfunctional cables), but I have the same issue, to a lesser extent, with quality optical cables.  I do buy that my optical out might be really crappy.  Still, 12 MBs or so on an optical out shouldn't be that hard.  But you can mess anything up (or not, in this case?).      

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7,473 of 13,350
  But we don't know why it works! (if it works)

The 'why' here is a subcategory of the question of why different DAC input sound different -- they are all the same digital data, reclocked by the DAC.  Is this all ground noise?  That can't be for optical, and USB sounds better than optical on the Gungnir with Wyrd and Gen 2 UBS...are optical cables that bad?  I do think so for really cheap cables (I've heard differences, which I can put into the category of dysfunctional cables), but I have the same issue, to a lesser extent, with quality optical cables.  I do buy that my optical out might be really crappy.  Still, 12 MBs or so on an optical out shouldn't be that hard.  But you can mess anything up (or not, in this case?).      

i haven't heard the wyrd myself, i've just heard others say the like it, and it is pretty cheap, so i may try it one day

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #7,474 of 13,350
Finally, a photo of my Schiit at rest and no, I don't store the MDR1Rs on the amp when it's on! But she sure looks nice all the same. It's temporary home is on top of my Yaqin tube integrated amp until I find a permanent home to place the Asgard 2.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #7,475 of 13,350
Hey, it seems that Schiit internet site products section have been modified, new categories (preamps, usb interface, upgrades) Nice !

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #7,477 of 13,350
I'm very happy with how the gun plays with the hd800 and that's all that matters right now :)

I would consider other dacs when they are released.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #7,478 of 13,350
I'm very happy with how the gun plays with the hd800 and that's all that matters right now :)

I would consider other dacs when they are released.

That's great to know for I plan on getting a Gungnir early next year, then I start to save up for the Yggdrasil.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #7,479 of 13,350
Hey, it seems that Schiit internet site products section have been modified, new categories (preamps, usb interface, upgrades) Nice !

Just looked...which reminds me that the USB 2 upgrade is $150 and the Uber Analog upgrade is $100.    It's a crazy world in audio that USB inputs cost more than anlog stages. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #7,480 of 13,350
That's great to know for I plan on getting a Gungnir early next year, then I start to save up for the Yggdrasil.

Why not save a bit longer and go straight for Yggy? Or get Bifrost instead, and have a shorter savings-period. 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #7,481 of 13,350
Why not save a bit longer and go straight for Yggy? Or get Bifrost instead, and have a shorter savings-period. :wink:

Yes I agree it would be wiser to wait and save up for the Yggdrasil. I just wanted a good dac to go with the Ragnarok, which I plan to order within the next few weeks. But my old Reciever does a fine job. Thanks for the advice mate, it's appreciated

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #7,482 of 13,350
Hoping my Gungnir plays nice with the Ragnarok which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It sounds really nice with the current Mjolnir so it is logical to assume it will work nicely with the rok as well. With this stack sounding really awesome thru LCD2.2, LCD3c, and now LCD-X, it's kinda hard to imagine how much better the Ragnarok will sound comparatively. Looking forward to finding out!

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #7,483 of 13,350
Hoping my Gungnir plays nice with the Ragnarok which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It sounds really nice with the current Mjolnir so it is logical to assume it will work nicely with the rok as well. With this stack sounding really awesome thru LCD2.2, LCD3c, and now LCD-X, it's kinda hard to imagine how much better the Ragnarok will sound comparatively. Looking forward to finding out!

Sweet I hope that the Gungnir and the Ragnarok put a big smile on your face as you jam out to your favorite tunes.:)

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #7,484 of 13,350

popcorn.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #7,485 of 13,350
  I too am expecting delivery tomorrow of the "Rag" that I ordered back on day one of the open orders...and it just so happens that I am scheduled for a root-canal tomorrow afternoon...lol...hoping that once I get home I will have the energy and desire to unpack, and connect that beast...so that listening with my "Classic" LCD-2.2's for the first time in balanced mode, with a world class amplifier will sufficiently salve my discomfort...  :)  ...multiple firsts for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back