Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #5,582 of 13,350
Jun 7, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #5,583 of 13,350
Lots of great reading on this thread! I think I'm finally caught up with the posts (whew).

It's taken a couple of years, but I finally have my complete Schiit setup at home and at work:

At home I'm alternating between a Gungnir + Mjolnir combo with balanced Senn HD650s and a Gungnir + Lyr combo with AKG K712 Pros. Still deciding on the tubes I like in the Lyr. At work I have a Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 into a pair of VMODA XS headphones (need to keep it quiet at work, and I like that I can take the VMODAs with me on-the-go...). 

So far I'm extremely happy with both of my setups, but I'm still working on developing my "ear" for all the subtleties. The HD650 chain I find to be deeply engaging -- even intoxicating. The AKG K712 chain with the Lyr is a lot of fun to listen to, especially while swapping tubes to discover the nuances of music I didn't realize I had been missing.

Might I be missing something with my setup at this point? A mismatch perhaps in gear? I know I could get more out of the at-work setup with a better set of headphones, but I need a closed, over-ear pair (i.e., that nobody near my desk can overhear as it's rather tight quarters). So, I'm still exploring the head-fi forums and online reviews for pair that will best compliment the Bifrost and Asgard.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #5,584 of 13,350
  Lots of great reading on this thread! I think I'm finally caught up with the posts (whew).

It's taken a couple of years, but I finally have my complete Schiit setup at home and at work:

At home I'm alternating between a Gungnir + Mjolnir combo with balanced Senn HD650s and a Gungnir + Lyr combo with AKG K712 Pros. Still deciding on the tubes I like in the Lyr. At work I have a Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 into a pair of VMODA XS headphones (need to keep it quiet at work, and I like that I can take the VMODAs with me on-the-go...). 

So far I'm extremely happy with both of my setups, but I'm still working on developing my "ear" for all the subtleties. The HD650 chain I find to be deeply engaging -- even intoxicating. The AKG K712 chain with the Lyr is a lot of fun to listen to, especially while swapping tubes to discover the nuances of music I didn't realize I had been missing.

Might I be missing something with my setup at this point? A mismatch perhaps in gear? I know I could get more out of the at-work setup with a better set of headphones, but I need a closed, over-ear pair (i.e., that nobody near my desk can overhear as it's rather tight quarters). So, I'm still exploring the head-fi forums and online reviews for pair that will best compliment the Bifrost and Asgard.

you're set up looks very good to me ! as long as you're happy with the sound if it, i just looked at your inventory, the tele's are some of my favorite tubes !! more to my liking than most of the tubes i'd used, and i tried quite a few,

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,585 of 13,350

I think both your setups are great!

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,586 of 13,350
Brilliant systems! Can't see any weak spots there. But since we're human we can always come up w stuff... The XS are on ears, if I remember right. On ears sometimes bug me so I might look at over ear closed phones for comfort - eg, Momentums, focal, hp50, full size vmodas, etc. But that's just me projecting my personal ear comfort issues :grin:

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #5,587 of 13,350
Hello just a question how does the uber bifrost dac compare to fiio x5 dac? I know it's not fair to com p are the two for the x5 is portable and the schiit uber bifrost is desktop. But I was just curious, thanks.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #5,589 of 13,350
  Finally caught up as well. With the announcements of the new Lyr and Valhalla 2's, does this mean the end of the famous "fully-upgradable" equipment in this price category? 

Only some of their DACs are listed as upgradeable. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #5,590 of 13,350
Jun 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #5,591 of 13,350
Its one thing to swap out an upgraded USB or analog stage plugin board for a DAC yet altogether different to upgrade an amp. The newer versions of the amps may have changes all over the board (including the power supply) and it doesn't appear to me (simply by looking a the pics) that you could even save the case as its doesn't have the holes needed for the gain switch or preamp outputs. 

I've got to hand it to Schiit Audio, over the years I've seen companies advertise products as "upgradeable" yet not many actually follow through and make available meaningful upgrades not only at a reasonable price but with the choice to do them yourself or have them done in-house by the manufacturer. I know some companies will upgrade your product, but I can't think of any off hand that does this at Schiit Audio's price points. 

Keep in mind that just because a newer version of your AMP or DAC is now available that it doesn't lessen the performance of the product you already own. I do understand that it can be a bit of a bummer if you buy a product and a couple months later its replaced by a different version but just take a deep breath and recall how much you've been enjoying your music through your current model. Go find your so more music that you love, I find that this cures most anything. Good luck and enjoy your music! 

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #5,592 of 13,350
I know this subject has been discussed many times on head fi but i was wondering how much warm up time (not break in time) do you guys feel it takes your gear to sound optimal. I've noticed the valhalla sounds noticeably better after 1.5 - 2 hours and this time is pretty consistent day after day. Not sure if both my dac and amp warming up are improving the sound or if it's mostly the tubes.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5,593 of 13,350
I know this subject has been discussed many times on head fi but i was wondering how much warm up time (not break in time) do you guys feel it takes your gear to sound optimal. I've noticed the valhalla sounds noticeably better after 1.5 - 2 hours and this time is pretty consistent day after day. Not sure if both my dac and amp warming up are improving the sound or if it's mostly the tubes.

I've always found that my tube amps sound fuller after 1-1.5 hours of use.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #5,594 of 13,350
I've always found that my tube amps sound fuller after 1-1.5 hours of use.

I found that as well with my old Woo6SE.

However I also feel my SS amp also benefits from an hour warm up for best results.

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #5,595 of 13,350
My tube gear usually came into its own around 1 hour and my solid state gear did so in under 20 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back