Schiit Owners Unite
May 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #5,462 of 13,350
  What is a USB Descrewifier?
blink.gif

A lot of DACs hate being plugged into hubs and USB 3 ports.  I'm guess that this gizmo allows users to use this as a power hub that DACs can stop freaking out over.  Also, I bet it makes using USB 3 ports more possible.  

These are all guesses, of course.  As another guess, I bet it might help break ground loops and clean up background noise fed by the computer. 

May 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,463 of 13,350
Alex relayed some info: 

It has one input port and one output port as it is meant to improve a single USB signal.  It couldn't do that if multiple items were plugged in.  It is not a simple powered hub, it is a signal cleaner and reclocker also.  Essentially it sits between your computer and your DAC.  It takes the underpowered, noisy, fragmented signal from your computer and brings the voltage and amperage up to spec, filters out the noise, and reclocks the packets to ensure a regular flow of data and power to your DAC.  Most powered hubs will simply bump up the power without dealing with signal noise or packet flow.

May 31, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5,464 of 13,350
  Alex relayed some info: 

It has one input port and one output port as it is meant to improve a single USB signal.  It couldn't do that if multiple items were plugged in.  It is not a simple powered hub, it is a signal cleaner and reclocker also.  Essentially it sits between your computer and your DAC.  It takes the underpowered, noisy, fragmented signal from your computer and brings the voltage and amperage up to spec, filters out the noise, and reclocks the packets to ensure a regular flow of data and power to your DAC.  Most powered hubs will simply bump up the power without dealing with signal noise or packet flow.

very, very interesting

May 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #5,465 of 13,350
Extra points to the first person to post a review/comparison of the new Lyr/Valhalla vs the old ones. They don't say a whole lot on their website but it 'sounds like' they just added an impedance switch to the Valhalla but upgraded the power supply and other stuff in the Lyr. Anybody know if they upgraded the power supply in the Valhalla too? It is nice they kept the prices the same, I think most companies would have tacked on another $50 just because if for no other reason.

Look at the FAQ tab on the Valhalla 2 description on Schiit website. Quite a bit of redesign to lower noise, distortion, and output impedance.

May 31, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,466 of 13,350
Look at the FAQ tab on the Valhalla 2 description on Schiit website. Quite a bit of redesign to lower noise, distortion, and output impedance.

It certainly doesn't look cosmetic.

May 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5,468 of 13,350
Alex relayed some info: 

[COLOR=222222]It has one input port and one output port as it is meant to improve a single USB signal.  It couldn't do that if multiple items were plugged in.  It is not a simple powered hub, it is a signal cleaner and reclocker also.  Essentially it sits between your computer and your DAC.  It takes the underpowered, noisy, fragmented signal from your computer and brings the voltage and amperage up to spec, filters out the noise, and reclocks the packets to ensure a regular flow of data and power to your DAC.  Most powered hubs will simply bump up the power without dealing with signal noise or packet flow.[/COLOR]

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why don't they just incorporate this functionality into the chassis of a DAC? Like, why couldn't they have the Gungnir do this before converting a signal?

In any case, cool device. I imagine I'll get it.

May 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5,469 of 13,350
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why don't they just incorporate this functionality into the chassis of a DAC? Like, why couldn't they have the Gungnir do this before converting a signal?

It's not a 'fix-all.' I imagine throughout production of, say, Gungnir they didn't experience any problems.
However when released into the wild this is when problems pop up.

Alex also relayed:"USB connection issues are our number 1 tech support problem and this provides an easy solution."

May 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #5,470 of 13,350

Before I buy it I'll need some technical explanation from Jason regarding the guts of Wyrd.

As in:
How are the USB guts of Wyrd better than BiFrost USB?
Why don't the same guts get put onto an upgraded USB board within BiFrost?
If they don't believe/prove Wyrd will improve sonics, why even build the damn thing?

A most puzzling product coming from them until these are answered.

May 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #5,471 of 13,350
Before I buy it I'll need some technical explanation from Jason regarding the guts of Wyrd.

As in:
How are the USB guts of Wyrd better than BiFrost USB?
Why don't the same guts get put onto an upgraded USB board within BiFrost?
If they don't believe/prove Wyrd will improve sonics, why even build the damn thing?

A most puzzling product coming from them until these are answered.

The product definitely makes sense to me. A standard USB out on a computer is utter crap. There's so much noise and interference from the computer that it makes sense to filter out that dirty signal.

And a lot of DACs don't get the power they want and a lot of computers throw up warnings that a "USB device is drawing too much power." Seems like this will solve that.

I'm more wondering if they can incorporate it into future iterations of their DACs.

May 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #5,472 of 13,350
May 31, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #5,473 of 13,350

USB Gen 3 card upgrade? 

+1 to that, would like to see that in BiFrost Uber immediately.   (should it be possible)
 :)

May 31, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #5,474 of 13,350
The product definitely makes sense to me. A standard USB out on a computer is utter crap. There's so much noise and interference from the computer that it makes sense to filter out that dirty signal.

And a lot of DACs don't get the power they want and a lot of computers throw up warnings that a "USB device is drawing too much power." Seems like this will solve that.

I'm more wondering if they can incorporate it into future iterations of their DACs.

1.  a lot of great USB DACs already DO filter out and/or correct noise when possible (ala Concero HD) on a USB bus.  other (not mine) reports of adding "clean power" to a Concero HD DAC yielded little benefit when adding something like iFi iUSB Power onto it.
so maybe Wyrd isn't for that level of DAC.

2.  I've only seen "drawing too much power" when a USB DAC (GO450, Concero HD) is attempting to hook up to an iPad/iPhone.  never to a "real computer" like my iMac or Macbook Pro or Air.

3.  yes, incorporating Wyrd usb technology inside a future iteration of BiFrost would be great if possible (needed?).

use case:  I can see this new Schiit product helping out Case 2 IMHO.   (or if you have an older USB DAC without much filtering smarts in the first place.)
perhaps an iDevice wanting to feed a portable DAC that has no internal-battery (GO450, Concero HP) at a bedside set up or some such.

Big question:  would the Wyrd *charge* the battery of an iPhone/iPad while hooked up to it via Lightning USB cable?   like the CEntrance HiFi-M8  does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back