Schiit Owners Unite
May 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #5,476 of 13,350
2.  I've only seen "drawing too much power" when a USB DAC (GO450, Concero HD) is attempting to hook up to an iPad/iPhone.  never to a "real computer" like my iMac or Macbook Pro or Air.

FWIW, I've had this happen on my "real" MacBook Pro retina, both directly from it and through a powered hub. With several DACs. But I imagine it would solve this issue.

May 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #5,477 of 13,350
I too am a huge supporter of Schiit products and I appreciate their ethos as well-lets re-ignite the audiophile community and make high quality sound affordable and available to all! 

I own a fully upgraded Bifrost paired with the Lyr with EAT ECC-88 Cool Valves rolled into the picture. I listen with Audeze LCD-2 and a Moon-Audio Silver Dragon V3.  I say unhesitatingly that the sound experience is heavenly- I can die a happy man!  I have no need for any social interaction because of my sound system.  

Does anyone have any info/updates on new product info from Schiit-especially Ragnarok consumer availability. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #5,478 of 13,350
Alex relayed some info: 

[COLOR=222222]It has one input port and one output port as it is meant to improve a single USB signal.  It couldn't do that if multiple items were plugged in.  It is not a simple powered hub, it is a signal cleaner and reclocker also.  Essentially it sits between your computer and your DAC.  It takes the underpowered, noisy, fragmented signal from your computer and brings the voltage and amperage up to spec, filters out the noise, and reclocks the packets to ensure a regular flow of data and power to your DAC.  Most powered hubs will simply bump up the power without dealing with signal noise or packet flow.[/COLOR]

Thanks Cory. My order is going in.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #5,479 of 13,350
Thanks Cory. My order is going in.

Thanks guinea pig. 
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #5,480 of 13,350
+1 to that, would like to see that in BiFrost Uber immediately.   (should it be possible)
 :)

Ok I got an answer on this. Jason said,

"Most likely not. It would really change the power supply on the existing products."

No big deal to me! If it had been an upgrade feature, it probably would have cost just as much anyway.

I'll also be a guinnea pig :)

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #5,484 of 13,350
  Look harder where ?  Looking harder on the Products page won't help him, nor will looking on the Schiit "news" page. Perhaps you could be of help, rather than just saying "You're doing it wrong " ?

Koth knows I'm joking. So just keep calm.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #5,485 of 13,350
settle, settle .....
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5,488 of 13,350
  Anyone have any information on the design of the Wyrd compared to the iFi iUSB? 

double +1.
that would be a great USB descrewifier shoot-out !

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #5,489 of 13,350
Well it's not the cheap adapter.  It's either interference at work or (my guess) not very clean/properly grounded power.

Going from my MacBook Pro through Dragonfly to the Magni to my HD650's isn't as impressive as the Magni/Modi P7 combo is.  Not that it's a slouch, but the P7's I can only take 1/3 of the power of the Magni.  I have it turned up to 100% with the HD650.  Turning it down to about 80% sounds better, but I've now decided I'd rather the Lyr than the Valhalla. :)

How much of the sound quality comes from the DAC?  If I got a Lyr and kept using my Dragonfly as the output would it sound much better, or would I be better served to carry my Modi back and forth until I can get a Bifrost?

Now to find a powerstrip or something I can use at work to see if I can fix this.  If not this is really of little use to me.  I wanted it for work to power my P7's, not for home with my HD650.

Edit: I had my MacBook turned up to 100%, but iTunes was not.  Now with it at 100%, I can only take about 50% of the Magni. :)  And it smokes my Onkyo home theater receiver headphone out. :)

So what is recommended on a $300-500 "Father's Day" ticket?

A Lyr 2 of course, though not to make your decision more difficult the Valhalla 2 puts out 880 mW into the 650's 300 ohms :flushed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back