Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4,831 of 13,350
So maybe someone can help me…

I’ve had my Lyr for about 4 months now and I’ve already had to send it in for a repair because the right channel had a lot of noise. They said they replaced the gain resistors. Ever since I’ve gotten it back I’ve noticed a very high pitch ringing on the same channel. I did hear this ringing when I first got the amp. It’s sporadic and quite irritating. Swapping the position of the tubes doesn’t change the channel that the ringing is on. I contacted Schiit and they assured me that the amp was fine because it was just tested by them. I haven’t been able to try a different set of tubes (I don’t own any), but moving their position doesn’t change the problem. Im not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #4,832 of 13,350

I’ve had my Lyr for about 4 months now and I’ve already had to send it in for a repair because the right channel had a lot of noise. They said they replaced the gain resistors. Ever since I’ve gotten it back I’ve noticed a very high pitch ringing on the same channel. I did hear this ringing when I first got the amp. It’s sporadic and quite irritating. Swapping the position of the tubes doesn’t change the channel that the ringing is on. I contacted Schiit and they assured me that the amp was fine because it was just tested by them. I haven’t been able to try a different set of tubes (I don’t own any), but moving their position doesn’t change the problem. Im not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help.

If it's intermittent, they might not have heard it. Problems that are intermittent or hard to repeat, are the hardest to fix.

You swapped the tubes once, so I would stop worrying about them.

On the off-chance that it's something else in your setup, have you tried changing anything else? Such as, the position where the amp is located? Other components near it? Trying a different power outlet? Different headphones? Different cables? Basically, try to rule out all external influences. It will give you more ammunition.

True story: many years ago I worked at a place that repaired car stereo's. The guy who sat next to me, would hook up each unit for repair, and give it a listen. If it worked, he would grab the dial shafts and beat it on a rubber mat! After several of these, my curiosity got the best of me, and I had to ask him. He was a Japanese gentleman, and in his broken English he replied: "Make sure broken."

So, yeah. It helps if the device is really broken before sending it to the shop.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,833 of 13,350

Thanks for your help.

Starting point just to strike them off the list:

Different AC Outlet/Circuit in the house

Different set of headphones  

Move the source or other devices away from the amp

Second set of ears -  don't tell the person the problem you're experiencing, see if they call it out after listening on their own.

Another set/type of tubes  

Those are the basic things you can do ( if you haven't already done them)

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #4,834 of 13,350
my new cable

new cable for q701 by plussound. great job. exo series with viablue T6s 1/4", 28awg / 10 strands copper cable and red heatshrink

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4,836 of 13,350
How is the Viablue T6S plug? I might put one on an upcoming build.

i cant say yet on how the cable build redefines the sound, but the viable is quite big and fits sturdily on the amp, that pic btw was supposed to go to Q701 thread, but instead mistakenly put it in here haha, oh well~

in front of the Q701, the amp looks illusionally tiny :D

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4,837 of 13,350

If it's intermittent, they might not have heard it. Problems that are intermittent or hard to repeat, are the hardest to fix.

You swapped the tubes once, so I would stop worrying about them.

On the off-chance that it's something else in your setup, have you tried changing anything else? Such as, the position where the amp is located? Other components near it? Trying a different power outlet? Different headphones? Different cables? Basically, try to rule out all external influences. It will give you more ammunition.

True story: many years ago I worked at a place that repaired car stereo's. The guy who sat next to me, would hook up each unit for repair, and give it a listen. If it worked, he would grab the dial shafts and beat it on a rubber mat! After several of these, my curiosity got the best of me, and I had to ask him. He was a Japanese gentleman, and in his broken English he replied: "Make sure broken."

So, yeah. It helps if the device is really broken before sending it to the shop.
wink.gif

Yeah I've tried different headphones, cables, outlets, sources, and locations. Not sure what else to try. Thanks

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #4,838 of 13,350
Not to take away from Chris's valuable concerns about his (potentially) busted Lyr, but I have something to share:

Tonight I plugged in my first non-stock tubes in my Uberfrost/Lyr/HiFiMan HE-500 combo, and the difference is astounding!

I bought a pair of Matsu****a tubes off a really great guy on Head-Fi (thank you mwillits!), and I will never put the stock tubes back in my Lyr.  Nothing against the stock tubes, but they're overly bright with a slightly-weak low end.  These Matsu tubes instantly brought the Lyr back in line.  The treble went from ear-cracking (which was kinda fun, but also hurt at loud volumes) to a more realistic sound, while also bringing the bass up to a normal level when compared to the mids and highs.  I'm finally getting the right balance between highs and lows that I was looking for in an amp.  The sound is accurate, warm, and the tubes simply get out of the way.  EVERYTHING is punchy and super fast.  Wow!

I listen to all kinds of music, but when you throw some good Industrial music at it (Front Line Assembly, Nine Inch Nails) you'll realize what the Lyr is capable of.  And this is without any significant burn-in - these tubes sound amazing right now, and I frankly don't want them to change!

If you're thinking of tube rolling the Lyr, I highly recommend it!  But don't ask me to part with my Matsu's - they're total keepers! :)

Happy Rolling!

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #4,839 of 13,350
  Not to take away from Chris's valuable concerns about his (potentially) busted Lyr, but I have something to share:

Tonight I plugged in my first non-stock tubes in my Uberfrost/Lyr/HiFiMan HE-500 combo, and the difference is astounding!

I bought a pair of Matsu****a tubes off a really great guy on Head-Fi (thank you mwillits!), and I will never put the stock tubes back in my Lyr.  Nothing against the stock tubes, but they're overly bright with a slightly-weak low end.  These Matsu tubes instantly brought the Lyr back in line.  The treble went from ear-cracking (which was kinda fun, but also hurt at loud volumes) to a more realistic sound, while also bringing the bass up to a normal level when compared to the mids and highs.  I'm finally getting the right balance between highs and lows that I was looking for in an amp.  The sound is accurate, warm, and the tubes simply get out of the way.  EVERYTHING is punchy and super fast.  Wow!

I listen to all kinds of music, but when you throw some good Industrial music at it (Front Line Assembly, Nine Inch Nails) you'll realize what the Lyr is capable of.  And this is without any significant burn-in - these tubes sound amazing right now, and I frankly don't want them to change!

If you're thinking of tube rolling the Lyr, I highly recommend it!  But don't ask me to part with my Matsu's - they're total keepers! :)

Happy Rolling!

Haha... that should read Matsush*ta.  I guess the Head-Fi bot doesn't like four-letter words in their tube manufacturers :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #4,840 of 13,350

Haha... that should read Matsush*ta.  I guess the Head-Fi bot doesn't like four-letter words in their tube manufacturers :)

Well, if you had simply typed MatsuSchiita, it woulda worked just fine
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #4,845 of 13,350

Collect the entire lineup :D

i only need the vahalla, and gungnir to complete the set
although i didn't have it all at the same time !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back