Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #4,861 of 13,350
Hey all, just last night I noticed some background noise and static on my Mjolnir when previously it was dead silent from end to end, I think it may have been the fact I had it running for a while and maybe it got too hot? I turned it off but won't be able to check till I next get home. Has anyone else experienced this? I turned off DAC, checked cables, et cetera. It is a first, hoping I didn't hurt the amp but that seems unlilely

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #4,862 of 13,350
Hey all, just last night I noticed some background noise and static on my Mjolnir when previously it was dead silent from end to end, I think it may have been the fact I had it running for a while and maybe it got too hot? I turned it off but won't be able to check till I next get home. Has anyone else experienced this? I turned off DAC, checked cables, et cetera. It is a first, hoping I didn't hurt the amp but that seems unlilely

Static can come from the volume pot.  Turn it around and see if the static intensifies.  If so, a simple clean may be the trick.  Otherwise, be sure to use the 5-year warranty Schiit gave you.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #4,863 of 13,350
Is there any chance of Schiit making a version of the Modi with a sabre chip? I'd like to see their take on the HiFiMeDIY U2

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #4,864 of 13,350
Considering Mike's stance on delta sigma, I'm gonna say no.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #4,865 of 13,350
  Is there any chance of Schiit making a version of the Modi with a sabre chip? I'd like to see their take on the HiFiMeDIY U2

The Sabre chip isn't the end-all of DACs.  I'm more concerned with the output stage, personally.

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4,866 of 13,350
Just compared the two. Not entirely sure what to make of it but I'm guessing the lower the output voltage the better? Which goes to the Mode at a full mega volt less than the U2

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4,867 of 13,350
  Just compared the two. Not entirely sure what to make of it but I'm guessing the lower the output voltage the better? Which goes to the Mode at a full mega volt less than the U2

Not really.  What's more important is the interplay between THD and output voltage. Manufacturers like to massage these numbers to make their THD look better.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #4,868 of 13,350
Just got my new Lyr a couple days ago. Superb amp and totally quiet even with my Grado's. Schiit is, as every body says, an excellent company to deal with and make the best amps for the money I have ever seen. It is like I have all new headphones.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #4,870 of 13,350
Lyr owners, over the last two months, I've noticed a tendency of the front tube to start leaning to the right side (if you view it from the front). Thus causes an intermittent crackle to the sound coming from the Hp. I straighten it out and presto, no problem.Any suggestions for a permanent fix? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #4,872 of 13,350
Lyr owners, over the last two months, I've noticed a tendency of the front tube to start leaning to the right side (if you view it from the front). Thus causes an intermittent crackle to the sound coming from the Hp. I straighten it out and presto, no problem.Any suggestions for a permanent fix? Thanks.

I use socket savers and I haven't had that issue.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #4,874 of 13,350
I wonder if it's a tube problem?
The only time I ever heard crackling with my Lyr is when I used a pair of Toshiba 6DJ8s. Definitely not good tubes to use for audio btw, very microphonic and one of the tubes had lots of crackling and static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back