Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #4,891 of 13,350
I want to upgrade my system from O2/ODAC to Schiit stuffs (ubber Biofrost & Lyr). However, I dont see lot of people recomend it with flagship headphones (HD800 & Audeze phones) Same does for the Mjolnir and Gungnir 
Do you guy recommend me this combo to pair with LCD 2 and Alpha Dog? I am searching for a mid-fi all around amp ($400-$900 range) that will do the job decently with many headphones (I dont count HE-6 or K1000). My target is the Headamp GS-X, I have heard nothing but good about them.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,892 of 13,350
  I think what Schiit is saying that you can not drive two outputs at once. Most of the RCA switch boxes that I have seen with two outs means that it will drive two outputs at the same time.

Nodody drives an ouput, an output drives an input.
Read the product page, the idea is to select which of two sources connects to (drives)  a singe device, being either your powered speakers or headphone amp. One not both. The volume control is for convenience. If, for example, your powered speakers have an input selector and volume control within easy reach, this device is not necessary.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,893 of 13,350
  Hey everyone... is it just me? or did we just get some new Schiit?

http://schiit.com/products/sys-passive-preamp

Yuppers, ordered mine last night.   No more cable switching.   YAH 
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #4,895 of 13,350

Just read the "FAQ" page people  
rolleyes.gif
    It's a 2 in one out device.   

Wow good one there, ace. It doesn't change the fact that some of us are wondering if it can be used in the opposite direction, since it's a passive device. The Fiio HS-2 switcher can be, so I think this one can be as well.

The reason we emailed, was because we read the FAQ, and our question was not answered in it.

Maybe I want to split the output of my DAC to a headphone amp that doesn't have preouts, and also to active speakers where the volume control would be nice to have.

Or, if I have one output on my DAC, and three devices to output the signal to, if I were to use a Y-splitter at the DAC, adding the switch box from the y-split to two other devices would not be like splitting the signal another time, since it's actually switching it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,896 of 13,350

Wow good one there, ace. It doesn't change the fact that some of us are wondering if it can be used in the opposite direction, since it's a passive device. The Fiio HS-2 switcher can be, so I think this one can be as well.

The reason we emailed, was because we read the FAQ, and our question was not answered in it.

Maybe I want to split the output of my DAC to a headphone amp that doesn't have preouts, and also to active speakers where the volume control would be nice to have.

Or, if I have one output on my DAC, and three devices to output the signal to, if I were to use a Y-splitter at the DAC, adding the switch box from the y-split to two other devices would not be like splitting the signal another time, since it's actually switching it.

Not a good idea, because of the attenuator.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,897 of 13,350

Certainly hope your questions have been answered,  ace.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4,902 of 13,350
Yep, SYS is a new little two-input passive preamp. We never tried it backwards, which is why Nick is very confused.

Speculation: it'll probably work as a switch with the volume turned all the way up. We don't know how the volume control will work, though.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #4,903 of 13,350
  Yep, SYS is a new little two-input passive preamp. We never tried it backwards, which is why Nick is very confused.

Speculation: it'll probably work as a switch with the volume turned all the way up. We don't know how the volume control will work, though.

Can you test it backwards and report? My finger is itching to click on the order button!

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #4,904 of 13,350

That makes sense! I know a lot of us have, say, 3 or 4 amps that we would like to output our DAC to at once without swapping wires. I'm not sure daisy chaining y-splitters is a great idea since it splits the signal each time, whereas a switch like the SYS is basically just a passthrough, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #4,905 of 13,350

Used backwards, chances are that with the volume down all the way one might be close to applying a short to ground on what ever is plugged into the unswiitched jacks. This is if a conventional attenuator circuit is employed.. As you turn up the volume control the load on this input goes up to the max resistance of the volume pot in parrallel with whatever's impedance is switched into play. It will certainly not act like a proper volume control. I doubt that you guys ever intended for anyone to get their Schiit backwards,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back