Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #4,697 of 13,350
Will try some of that, starting with cable, thanks.
The computer is powerful enough and I'm running Win7 64bit.
DCP latency 60 µs average, 71 max.
I don't think there are better drivers for Modi than ones supplied with Win ?

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #4,700 of 13,350
  I'm having a sound problem since I got Schiit Magni&Modi (a week ago).
Every now and then, the sound disappears for few seconds, usually when loading some apps (like Chrome, etc.).
It is most prominent while playing Battlefield 4, during one game it disappears at least 5-6 times randomly.
Anyone had this problem before? Could the problem be caused by a cheap USB cable (2m length) ?

The major clue here is that you're playing game(s) when this happens. Games are absolutely the most CPU intensive chores, period. If you're using a nice graphics card, then some of the processing chores are offloaded to the GPU on the card. But it is still possible to drag down the system under heavy load.

While I have heard of difficulties with cheap USB cables, I'm betting that's really not the issue here. It's more likely your game is dragging system performance down to the point where the machine can't deliver a constant stream of audio to your Schiit gear. I base that diagnosis entirely on your description above.

Now, if you had said "gee, my audio cuts out when I wiggle my cables LIKE THIS", well, then I'd suggest trying another cable. I'm betting that's not the issue. The issue is more likely that you're stressing your machine with the game, and the audio can't keep up.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,701 of 13,350
  Will try some of that, starting with cable, thanks.
The computer is powerful enough and I'm running Win7 64bit.
DCP latency 60 µs average, 71 max.
I don't think there are better drivers for Modi than ones supplied with Win ?

You still don't mention what sort of system.

Here's an idea: decrease the graphics quality on the game, and see if the problem goes away. Cutting down on the processing required to render high quality graphics will free up some CPU to process your audio.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #4,702 of 13,350

Here's an idea: decrease the graphics quality on the game, and see if the problem goes away. Cutting down on the processing required to render high quality graphics will free up some CPU to process your audio.

Much earlier my advice was to jiggle the cable, switch cables, check performance with task manager and then drivers. I left details, don't know if it was tried,

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4,704 of 13,350

I highly doubt it's the system's fault. I never had sound problems before, even while benchmarking the system (extremely CPU and RAM hungry app - IntelBurnTest).
I'll try tonight to switch the cable.

CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4 / EK Waterblocks mod
MBO: ASRock P67 Extreme6
RAM: 2 x 4gb DDR3 G.skill Sniper Series CL9 @ 1866mhz
HDD: Samsung 470 Series 128gb
VGA: nVidia GTX580 / EK Waterblocks mod
PSU: Corsair HX850

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #4,705 of 13,350
  Much earlier my advice was to jiggle the cable, switch cables, check performance with task manager and then drivers. I left details, don't know if it was tried,

Understood. It's certainly worth a shot.

About 4-odd years ago, I was into some high performance gaming. I had a chance to experience a 25-man raid in a D&D style game, and the old machine absolutely choked up and died an ugly death, as soon as the battle started. I decided my old computer was worthless, and decided to drop $1000 on a nice gaming computer. I got an i5-750, with a nice Nvidia graphics card, a WD 10,000 rpm hard drive, a very nice ASUS mobo, etc. That CPU clocks in stock close to a Passmark of about 4000, and overclocked it can get close to 5800. And the 25-man raid was no longer a problem
biggrin.gif

Today, you can get a laptop on sale at Fry's for about $300 bucks, that will clock a passmark of about 2500-3000. Just another hundred bucks or so will get you a machine that can outdo my now 4 yr old desktop (stock speed, not overclocked). The high performance laptops are insane, the high end chips are well above 10,000 passmark now.

If you're not crazy into gaming, then you can still get an inexpensive Nvidia card for about $30-40 that is a decent improvement over the built in graphics processing on either the Intel or AMD chips. That alone might resolve any lag in the audio reproduction.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #4,706 of 13,350

I highly doubt it's the system's fault. I never had sound problems before, even while benchmarking the system (extremely CPU, GPU and RAM hungry app - IntelBurnTest).
I'll try tonight to switch the cable.

CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4 / EK Waterblocks mod
MBO: ASRock P67 Extreme6
RAM: 2 x 4gb DDR3 G.skill Sniper Series CL9 @ 1866mhz
HDD: Samsung 470 Series 128gb
VGA: nVidia GTX580 / EK Waterblocks mod
PSU: Corsair HX850

Holy Cow. 
eek.gif
LOL. Passmark 8600 for the CPU and 4900+ for the GPU.
That's a lovely motherboard, by the way.

Ok, that system should not be choking up on the game. ROFL. Now I'm laughing at myself for doubting your computer. Hah.

So, yeah. Let's go back to the cables.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #4,707 of 13,350

Holy Cow. 
eek.gif
LOL. Passmark 8600 for the CPU and 4900+ for the GPU.
That's a lovely motherboard, by the way.

Ok, that system should not be choking up on the game. ROFL. Now I'm laughing at myself for doubting your computer. Hah.

So, yeah. Let's go back to the cables.
wink.gif

And drivers.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #4,708 of 13,350
  And drivers.

Hmm. Interesting thought. He is using win 7 ultimate. I just use windows 7 home premium (which really means, the cheap version). I haven't had any driver issues with my Modi on win 7 home premium. No clue if ultimate would be an issue.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #4,709 of 13,350
 "Ultimate" cannot be an issue, it's the same platform, just with some features unlocked 
smile.gif

Regarding drivers, I don't know if they may cause problems, but I have 2 drivers installed currently, Modi's and my old Realtek's, which I use to listen to my mini-Hifi connected to my computer's soundcard. If cables don't work then I guess I should just format it and reinstall everything from scratch.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #4,710 of 13,350
   "Ultimate" cannot be an issue, it's the same platform, just with some features unlocked 
smile.gif

Regarding drivers, I don't know if they may cause problems, but I have 2 drivers installed currently, Modi's and my old Realtek's, which I use to listen to my mini-Hifi connected to my computer's soundcard. If cables don't work then I guess I should just format it and reinstall everything from scratch.

The Modi doesn't have a special driver, it uses what either Microsoft has provided or you have installed for your specific hardware. Sometimes the registry setting or the driver or some other stuff goes sour. If that's the case a proper uninstall and reinstall of the latest and greatest for your hardware can fix it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back