Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 4, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #4,711 of 13,350
  Your latency is excellent. I would bet its the cable. Try one with a ferrite bead if you have one. It could be an EMI issue.

my absolute max is 171, good or not?

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #4,714 of 13,350
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #4,715 of 13,350
  vali > magni ?

The amp on the right looks like an Asgard 2, not a Magni. I have the same 3 pieces of Schiit. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #4,716 of 13,350
  The amp on the right looks like an Asgard 2, not a Magni. I have the same 3 pieces of Schiit. 
biggrin.gif

he said the vali sounds amazing, but i have magni, so i was thinking should i up or not, since i really like how the magni sounds, but curious on vali

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #4,717 of 13,350
  The big one is getting embarrassed by the little one. The Vali sounds amazing!

I've also got both amps. Although the Vali sounds amazing for it's incredible price, the Asgard 2 goes even further. For example the Vali can barely drive my HE-500's while the Asgard 2 has an easy time of it.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #4,718 of 13,350
  he said the vali sounds amazing, but i have magni, so i was thinking should i up or not, since i really like how the magni sounds, but curious on vali

If you intend on driving lower sensitivity cans, the Magni has more juice. If you have very sensitive cans, the noise floor of the Vali will come through. I have an Asgard 2 as my go to amp and the Vali for some fun and placed it my house in a location for more casual listening.
The even order harmonic distortion, "tube sound," of the Vali is not overly strong and may not be apparent to all.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #4,719 of 13,350
  I've also got both amps. Although the Vali sounds amazing for it's incredible price, the Asgard 2 goes even further. For example the Vali can barely drive my HE-500's while the Asgard 2 has an easy time of it.

so it's more about the driving power rather than the quality of sound? I'm using Q701

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4,720 of 13,350
  so it's more about the driving power rather than the quality of sound? I'm using Q701

Nope, my post that followed mention that the tube sound is not as apparent in the Vali as well as the implications of its higher noise floor. If its SQ sucked, I would have ate the restocking fee and sent it home to Schiit.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,721 of 13,350
I'm finding the Vali/Grado combination softer/warmer and more enjoyable than the Asgard/Grado combination right now. Two different sounds.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #4,722 of 13,350
  I'm finding the Vali/Grado combination softer/warmer and more enjoyable than the Asgard/Grado combination right now. Two different sounds.

I wonder what you might think if you could volume match both amps and have a toggle switch to immediately flip back and forth between both amps. I bough some parts to build such a box, when I have time, I'll build it. Nonetheless, I don't have a Grado.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #4,723 of 13,350
I have a couple of switching boxes that Fiio made just for that purpose. I'll have to see if I have enough of the right cables to do it.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4,725 of 13,350
  I have a couple of switching boxes that Fiio made just for that purpose. I'll have to see if I have enough of the right cables to do it.

Cool, I've seen the FiiO box but it was never in stock so I'll have to make my own. I bought 1/8" and 1/4" jacks so every termination will have both types of connections and a two pole center off switch. I got this switch so that another person can flip it to the middle and then either way so that I couldn't tell what happend. I'll probably bring the L and R wires to some posts so that I can put a meter to either channel. In the future I'll probably add RCA jacks as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back