Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,486 of 13,350
I have some incoming Schiit.  I got uprade-itis, so today I placed an order for the Bifrost Uber with USB.  I wanted a more dogmatically vigilant DAC, and I'm pretty sure this will do the trick.  My V-DAC II will join the bedroom or office rig.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,487 of 13,350
  I have some incoming Schiit.  I got uprade-itis, so today I placed an order for the Bifrost Uber with USB.  I wanted a more dogmatically vigilant DAC, and I'm pretty sure this will do the trick.  My V-DAC II will join the bedroom or office rig.

Uhm, now I'm tempted as well. I have the V-DAC II too. Let me know how it sounds compared to it.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #4,488 of 13,350

Uhm, now I'm tempted as well. I have the V-DAC II too. Let me know how it sounds compared to it.

Will do.  I do like the V-DAC, but the one thing I don't like (and this is an extremely small point) is it lacks a little bite in its attack.  Also, sometimes it lacks some depth and loses a little focus during complex passages.

Everything I read says the Bifrost Uber will be better.  Plus, being upgradeable is huge for me.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4,489 of 13,350
  Will do.  I do like the V-DAC, but the one thing I don't like (and this is an extremely small point) is it lacks a little bite in its attack.  Also, sometimes it lacks some depth and loses a little focus during complex passages.

Everything I read says the Bifrost Uber will be better.  Plus, being upgradeable is huge for me.

Hmm, do you have an upgraded PSU with V-DAC? 

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #4,491 of 13,350
  I do.  I can hear slightly more bass and less etchy treble, but the end result is not breathtaking like some reviews may suggest.

OK, let's see how it goes with Bifrost for you. Then I might pull the trigger as well.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #4,492 of 13,350
  I do.  I can hear slightly more bass and less etchy treble, but the end result is not breathtaking like some reviews may suggest.

A PSU (Power Supply Unit) should influence noise, hum, possibly interference from the power line. How is that going to affect bass or treble? A really bad PSU might drop voltage under load in an amp, but not in a DAC.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #4,493 of 13,350
  A PSU (Power Supply Unit) should influence noise, hum, possibly interference from the power line. How is that going to affect bass or treble? A really bad PSU might drop voltage under load in an amp, but not in a DAC.

I heard weak PSU can increase source impedance in low frequencies? Does it make sense?

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #4,494 of 13,350
  I heard weak PSU can increase source impedance in low frequencies? Does it make sense?

A weak PSU might drop voltage under load, if that's what you mean by weak. I can't see that being a problem in a decent DAC. A low supply voltage would probably cause more serious problems. LIke I said the possible issues would be noise, hum and interference. How is the power supply of a DAC going to affect the impedance of what you plug into it?
We are easily influenced by what others say. Some people start stuff for going for the oddest reasons and it takes on a life of its own. This is human nature, more so with audio kit. All too often people are hurt by the chatter. I feel bad when I see this happen to others.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #4,496 of 13,350
Not in your case probably

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,498 of 13,350
  Would one notice a difference between the older Bifrost and the new "uber"? I am using AKG K702 + Asgard.

Even though I bought my Bifrost with the Uber option, I'm not sure if a human being can hear the difference. The differences in distortion are in the thousandths of a percent. The distortion figures for the basic Bifrost are so far below perception that any improvement is for the benefit of spec sheets and lab equipment. I'm not sure of how many people could tell the difference in noise levels, if so they might have to squeeze so hard as to injure themselves.

Bifrost:
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB, 2Hz-100KHz, -1dB
Maximum Output: 2.0V RMS
THD: <0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at max output
IMD: <0.007%, CCIR
S/N: >106dB, referenced to 2V RMS

Bifrost Uber:
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB, 2Hz-100KHz, -1dB
Maximum Output: 2.0V RMS
THD: <0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at max output
IMD: <0.002%, CCIR
S/N: >110dB, referenced to 2V RMS

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4,499 of 13,350

Got my Bifrost today. Schiit stacks complete!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back