Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #4,516 of 13,350
SPDIF-out through optical from my PC. However, for some reason my PC isn't seeing that I connected anything to the optical out. I have Realtek HD Audio with R2.73 drivers. Usually in windows if you choose properties under your sound devices it will show the jack information and which one is connected to a device. It just isn't seeing the Bifrost. I might try installing my EMU 0404 PCI card and use that for optical SPDIF.

There's no way for your Realtek card to know what is connected to it by S/PDIF. It's not USB. Just stream the audio to Realtek S/PDIF device and your Bifrost will do the job.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4,517 of 13,350

While we are on the topic of the Bifrost's USB connection, I found that my music tends to get cut off randomly when my Bifrost is connected via USB. The sound will be cut off for a second or so before coming back. I emailed Schiit and Nick said that it's most likely something to do with Windows 8's USB power management. 

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Nick recommended getting an external powered USB hub but I've yet to find time to get one.

I run Windows 8.1 on my laptop and have experienced what you are talking about.  For me this only happens if I connect an ethernet cable instead of wifi.  Consequently I only connect ethernet when I need to transfer very large files and no music playing.  I haven't been able to solve this yet, but all is good with it disconnected.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,518 of 13,350

Got it working. For some reason my optical SPDIF-out won't work so I tried out my coax SPDIF-out and it passed 24/192 just fine. Oddly enough, I tried my EMU 0404 PCI card and it won't pass 24/192 through its SPDIF /shrug

Optical S/PDIF doesn't support anything higher than 24/96 (not enough bandwidth). To pass 24/192 you need either coaxial or USB 2.0. Why do you need 24/192 anyway?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,519 of 13,350
There's no way for your Realtek card to know what is connected to it by S/PDIF. It's not USB. Just stream the audio to Realtek S/PDIF device and your Bifrost will do the job.

lol its not that simple, in theory yes. However, the onboard audio controller can determine if its connected to "a device" once the data stream syncs up with the end device. If it doesn't sync up then its going to tell windows a big ol "nope" regardless what you try to send through the output; hence why I can press test in my audio device settings and there's no sound. One thing I've noticed, when the data stream does sync up, a relay in the Bifrost will click and voila! Sound...

So to sum up my issue that I fixed. My onboard clock generator for my optical out is probably ****. My coax output works fine.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #4,520 of 13,350
  Windows --> Power Options -->Change plan settings ---> Advanced --> USB power management --> USB selective suspend setting --> Disabled. 

Should fix it.

Thank you, I'll try and see if it works.

I run Windows 8.1 on my laptop and have experienced what you are talking about.  For me this only happens if I connect an ethernet cable instead of wifi.  Consequently I only connect ethernet when I need to transfer very large files and no music playing.  I haven't been able to solve this yet, but all is good with it disconnected.

Well it's good to see that I'm not alone here 
dt880smile.png

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,521 of 13,350
  So to sum up my issue that I fixed. My onboard clock generator for my optical out is probably ****. My coax output works fine.

Yeah, looks like a sync issue. Have you tried another optical cable?
Also have you tried another mode? Like 24/96 or 16/44? As I said 24/192 is a no-no for optical, my Realtek is producing some garbage.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4,522 of 13,350

Yeah, looks like a sync issue. Have you tried another optical cable?
Also have you tried another mode? Like 24/96 or 16/44? As I said 24/192 is a no-no for optical, my Realtek is producing some garbage.

Yeah I tried a different optical cable. I tried every mode possible and it just wouldn't sync up, so I guess my optical out is just plain crap... oh well. The Bifrost works as advertised :wink:. I have some 24/192 FLAC and since the Bifrost supports it I figured why not try.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #4,524 of 13,350
  Yeah I tried a different optical cable. I tried every mode possible and it just wouldn't sync up, so I guess my optical out is just plain crap... oh well. The Bifrost works as advertised :wink:. I have some 24/192 FLAC and since the Bifrost supports it I figured why not try.

Glad you have it working... Enjoy. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4,525 of 13,350
Feb 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4,526 of 13,350
  Hmmm, Rem0o's solution didn't work. The audio went bonkers for a second again. I'll try getting a powered USB hub the next time I leave the house. 

Wait.  You're running the DAC off a hub with other components?  That's probably a big factor.  Ideally, the DAC is connected directly to the computer in its own dedicated USB port.  

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,527 of 13,350
  Wait.  You're running the DAC off a hub with other components?  That's probably a big factor.  Ideally, the DAC is connected directly to the computer in its own dedicated USB port.  

That would depend on the traffic. If there is little or none other than for the DAC, why would it make a difference. The question is what's going on at the hub.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4,528 of 13,350
  That would depend on the traffic. If there is little or none other than for the DAC, why would it make a difference. The question is what's going on at the hub.

That could be some really ****ty (not schiitty) chinese hub. I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, I wouldn't plug anything critical (like DAC) to any sort of external hub.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4,529 of 13,350
BTW, there's a nice tool called USBlyzer. Very handy to see what's going on USB, which devices share the same hub, bandwidth, etc...

http://www.usblyzer.com/download.htm

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4,530 of 13,350

No, I'm currently running it straight off my laptop's USB port. Nick from Schiit recommended getting a powered USB hub, so I may get one just for the Bifrost. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back