Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4,546 of 13,350
  I read that the Maximus V Gene had a decent onboard DAC... that board is the **** though. ASUS did that board right.

Yeah, I love it! One of the best mATX boards money could buy. The analog output is decent, I'm only using it to power my 'el-cheapo' Logitech speakers for YouTube, though. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4,547 of 13,350
  Even though I bought my Bifrost with the Uber option, I'm not sure if a human being can hear the difference. The differences in distortion are in the thousandths of a percent. The distortion figures for the basic Bifrost are so far below perception that any improvement is for the benefit of spec sheets and lab equipment. I'm not sure of how many people could tell the difference in noise levels, if so they might have to squeeze so hard as to injure themselves.

And this is the plight of audiophilism. Too much effort is put into the reproduction of music and not the production of the music. One could easily be satisfied with ProDJ100's from a magni+modi stack listening to adequately produced music (I won't even name a genre)

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #4,548 of 13,350

Optical S/PDIF doesn't support anything higher than 24/96 (not enough bandwidth). To pass 24/192 you need either coaxial or USB 2.0. Why do you need 24/192 anyway?

While I fully agree that 24/192 is unnecessary/excessive, as far as I'm aware optical S/PDIF does support it (I believe I tried it once when I had my Bifrost, and doing net searches I don't see any reason it wouldn't, although if you're on a Mac it appears that their software won't let you go above 24/96).

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4,549 of 13,350

That's weird... I really doubt Bifrost is using any bus power from USB, so what's the point..

Try running the USBLyzer to see what other devices might conflict with Bifrost's USB device.

http://www.usblyzer.com/download.htm

Bifrost's USB board is powered through USB. Otherwise you'd see it connecting and disconnecting from Windows whenever you turned it on or off.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4,550 of 13,350

While I fully agree that 24/192 is unnecessary/excessive, as far as I'm aware optical S/PDIF does support it (I believe I tried it once when I had my Bifrost, and doing net searches I don't see any reason it wouldn't, although if you're on a Mac it appears that their software won't let you go above 24/96).

Indeed, it looks like some newer devices are really supporting it, so it's really not about the media. TOSLINK bandwidth was extended to 125 Mbit/s some time ago, so it should be plenty for anything (2 channel 24/192 is just 10 Mbit/s).

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,551 of 13,350
  Bifrost's USB board is powered through USB. Otherwise you'd see it connecting and disconnecting from Windows whenever you turned it on or off.

This is interesting. Not the case with V-DAC, for example, the USB device disappears from the system as you turn it off.
Can anyone run USBlyzer and see if the Bifrost USB device has a 'bus-powered' flag on it? If that is the case, then it could be a matter of inadequate USB power (however I doubt that Bifrost needs that much for USB operation).

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #4,553 of 13,350
Greetings all!

UPS just left a box of Schiit on my front step:

Otherwise known as my new (to me, and essentially new) Asgard 2 I picked up from a member here...

We know what you'll be up to tonight. You'll be up to your neck in Schiit. 
redface.gif

Good listen'in.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4,557 of 13,350
  I have the Schiit magni , does anyone know if it will drive the HiFiMan HE-500 ?

I have an Asgard 2 and it drives my HE-500's perfectly. The Magni has 200mW more than the Asgard 2 so you should be more than fine.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4,560 of 13,350
  Thanks StanD , im realy excited about getting the HE-500's. 

They sound like they're out of this world. It comes with two sets of pads, the leather is preinstalled.  The other pair are velour, I've switch to these as they're more comfortable for me. They're much heavier than my HD600's but the weight is evenly distributed onto the headband. I can wear them for hours on end. You're in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back