Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 15, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #4,291 of 13,350
Hey everyone, i own a set of HD800 headphones and i am thinking about getting a Schiit Lyr,

However i've read some horror stories of Schiit amps blowing / damaging headphones in the past.
(Headphones get damaged at the amp startup / shut-down because of power spikes?)

Does this problem still exsist?, or did they fix this issue.

Would like to hear this from a Lyr owner if possible.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #4,292 of 13,350
  Hey everyone, i own a set of HD800 headphones and i am thinking about getting a Schiit Lyr,

However i've read some horror stories of Schiit amps blowing / damaging headphones in the past.
(Headphones get damaged at the amp startup / shut-down because of power spikes?)

It should have been fixed. I don't see any new reports of headphones blowing up. I used to run the Lyr with LCD-2s for around a year and I didn't encounter any problems.  

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4,293 of 13,350

This is straight from Schiit's Lyr FAQ on their website.

"Wait, you mean my headphones might blow up?
Dood, 6 watts is more than enough to let the magic smoke out of most headphones. Lyr packs a serious punch, and we expect that you’re grown-up enough to use it with respect. Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay, but we still recommend caution, especially if you’re tube-rolling. We will not be responsible for headphones damaged by Lyr."

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #4,294 of 13,350

Has to have been cables. Only the subject of cables drives head-fiers to acts of homicidal violence. Even tube versus solid state is nowhere close. Maybe the HD800 is closer, but nothing like cables as a divisive topic. Some people adore cables and some hate them with a bitter vengeance. It's Middle Ages versus Enlightenment, Catholic versus Protestant, Lenin versus Trotsky, music versus 'historically deformed' performance (sorry, my bias is showing)... it's deep, atavistic, savage. Yup. I reckon cables.

Yes I have already learned that Cablers are the biggest religious zealots at Head-Fi. I find the USB and Power Cord sects to be the most hard core.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #4,295 of 13,350
  Obviously there is no career waiting for you at the State Dept. 
biggrin.gif
 So what was it? Cables? Amps? DACs? Cans?

All of the above. I commend Schiit for making quality products (I know from experience) but past a certain point the human ear can only hear so much. If you disagree, there is a great company you should try

We're on the same page. When I recommend a Asgard 2 and one of the elitists chimes in, they get very upset when I bring up the facts. Increased expenditures enhances their ability to perceive what is either not there or not perceptible. Go figure.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #4,296 of 13,350
This is straight from Schiit's Lyr FAQ on their website.

"Wait, you mean my headphones might blow up?
Dood, 6 watts is more than enough to let the magic smoke out of most headphones. Lyr packs a serious punch, and we expect that you’re grown-up enough to use it with respect. Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay, but we still recommend caution, especially if you’re tube-rolling. We will not be responsible for headphones damaged by Lyr."

I guess we shouldn't recommend hanging his HD800 off the speaker taps of an Emotiva Mini. Actually 50W into 8 Ohms is 20V which  assuming the same voltage swing at 300 Ohms will crank out 1.3 W. Yep that's enough to fry his HD800's as well and remove two ears at the same time.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4,297 of 13,350
Nah he's good. He will have at-least 2mm of rotational play on the volume knob before the headphones start smelling funny :wink:

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4,298 of 13,350
Some people are just cheap and won't spend anything extra on something nice, and look down on others that do. The BJC are nice, and feel solid. You know what I'm talking about.

I don't mind people buying fancy stuff, that's what I occasionally do either (like 150$ Cardas cable for my HD600 long time ago, because I wanted it). I'm not eluding myself into some perceptible differences, though (except a joy of owning something nice), but I guess that's "subjective" and I have no intention of fueling another flame war. 
wink.gif

I know what you mean, though. "I'm driving a Toyota and it's as good as your yuppie BMW and has better mileage too"....

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #4,299 of 13,350
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4,303 of 13,350
  Brings some old sayings to mind, "A fool and his money are soon parted," or "There's a sucker born every minute."

Hey, don't look down on them..

PS: we still have our right for a little ridicule... right?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #4,305 of 13,350
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but let's keep the thread on focus with Schiit, otherwise the mods might lock it based on the cable sniping going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back