Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4,276 of 13,350
O.K. When I left the Gungnir to go and eat (you can tell that I'm not a serious audiophile) it was hooked up to the Lyr with 1961 Bugle Boys. The experience was very HD650, despite the use of the HD800s - cosy, warm, enclosed with an extraordinary (excessive?) rendition of hall ambience. Now I'm going for extreme soundstage: Gungnir + Lyr with E288CCs + HD800.  (CDs) Already it is a quite different sound: much more focused, accurate and yet open, yet slightly clinical.
confused_face_2.gif
Timbre is still excellent. I miss the absolute sense of precision that I got with the M-DAC and the HD800s, but it's early days yet, and the sound has gone from flash and a bit harsh when first heard it to warm and a bit fuzzy in 6- hours. Things could be totally different in another 10 hours. Can't be doing with the  E288CCs! In go the E88CCs. Much better. The focus is completely back, the warmth is in check. I now feel that I am listening to HD800s. I don't dare go and get the HD650s and the Q701s from upstairs. It's complicated enough already...

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #4,277 of 13,350
  Obviously there is no career waiting for you at the State Dept. 
biggrin.gif
 So what was it? Cables? Amps? DACs? Cans?

Has to have been cables. Only the subject of cables drives head-fiers to acts of homicidal violence. Even tube versus solid state is nowhere close. Maybe the HD800 is closer, but nothing like cables as a divisive topic. Some people adore cables and some hate them with a bitter vengeance. It's Middle Ages versus Enlightenment, Catholic versus Protestant, Lenin versus Trotsky, music versus 'historically deformed' performance (sorry, my bias is showing)... it's deep, atavistic, savage. Yup. I reckon cables.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,278 of 13,350
biggrin.gif

All of the above. I commend Schiit for making quality products (I know from experience) but past a certain point the human ear can only hear so much. If you disagree, there is a great company you should try

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4,280 of 13,350
I really, REALLY hope so.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #4,282 of 13,350
No I'm not, /g/ has me covered

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #4,283 of 13,350
As far as cables concerned, Blue Jeans Cable has me covered for life.. anything more fancy/expensive is a snake oil and pixie dust.
Honestly I think BJC is a schiit of cable world.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #4,284 of 13,350
  As far as cables concerned, Blue Jeans Cable has me covered for life.. anything more fancy/expensive is a snake oil and pixie dust.
Honestly I think BJC is a schiit of cable world.

Yeah, ok. Have fun with that

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #4,285 of 13,350
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #4,286 of 13,350
biggrin.gif

All of the above. I commend Schiit for making quality products (I know from experience) but past a certain point the human ear can only hear so much. If you disagree, there is a great company you should try

Don't you know? The CIA is behind the business of premium priced headphone cables as part of their mind control experiments.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4,287 of 13,350

Don't you know? The CIA is behind the business of premium priced headphone cables as part of their mind control experiments.

Projecting won't justify your purchases

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,288 of 13,350

Projecting won't justify your purchases

Are you speaking about that goofy Projectionist that writes about audio equipment? Steve what's his name

Users who are viewing this thread

Back