Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,811 of 13,350
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Schiit amp with a pre-out option to connect to my desktop speakers. I see that the Asgard 2 states that it has a preamp output connection, what about asgard 1 or the Lyr?

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,813 of 13,350
  Lyr gives you the added bonus of tube rolling. Unfortunately, it gives the added cash burden of being skint for about 6 months, as you scour eBay for everything you have read about in the tube rolling threads. 

This man never said a truer word. I have three pairs of tubes coming a week after getting the Lyr. Another head-fier has confessed to amassing a tube supply before getting a Lyr. The next stage of madness is only buying the best tubes and then not using them for fear of wearing them out. Help!

And I've got it bad - the memory has come back to me of the valves glowing happily in the family radiogram in the 1950s, There is nothing left between me and a credit card exhausted by tubes...is this a recognized addiction?

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3,814 of 13,350

This man never said a truer word. I have three pairs of tubes coming a week after getting the Lyr. Another head-fier has confessed to amassing a tube supply before getting a Lyr. The next stage of madness is only buying the best tubes and then not using them for fear of wearing them out. Help!

And I've got it bad - the memory has come back to me of the valves glowing happily in the family radiogram in the 1950s, There is nothing left between me and a credit card exhausted by tubes...is this a recognized addiction?

well, i have all the symptoms !

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3,815 of 13,350

Tubeitis is the name of the addiction :smile:. I cured myself by getting the Mjolnir !

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,816 of 13,350
:D

The wallet worries of you headphone amp tube rollers are hilarious. Try it with speaker amps-- NOS rectifiers and pairs of input tubes (but you need at least three matched in case one fails), matched quads of power tubes (but you need to buy a matched sextet in case one fails), then you still "hope" you like the tubes you're buying. It's a rough deal.
:D

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #3,817 of 13,350

The wallet worries of you headphone amp tube rollers are hilarious. Try it with speaker amps--

What is this thing you speak of, Speaker Amps?

L3000.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #3,818 of 13,350
Dec 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,821 of 13,350
  MattTCG has like eleven Pioneer vintage speaker amps. You might want to ask him
wink_face.gif

I try to sell a few as I get them back into working order. Of course I just go out and buy more at that point. Right now I have only three. 

Have not photographed the 1050 much as it's still being restored. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,822 of 13,350
:beerchug:
What is this thing you speak of, Speaker Amps?

:L3000:

Amplifiers for boxes which, when placed in a room, emit sound that may closely resemble music, while at the same time creating painful room interaction resonances.

Thankfully, the "rooms" our headphones play in don't have this problem.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3,823 of 13,350

I try to sell a few as I get them back into working order. Of course I just go out and buy more at that point. Right now I have only three. 

Have not photographed the 1050 much as it's still being restored. 

Matt.

I'm speechless.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3,824 of 13,350
^^ Why thank you sir!! 
biggrin.gif
 That pic of the 1280 doesn't do it justice. It's a stunning piece of gear in person. To me, these old receivers just seem to have a soul to them. Man, do they make some beautiful music. And will drive anything on the planet including the he-6 with aplomb.  

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #3,825 of 13,350
  ^^ Why thank you sir!! 
biggrin.gif
 That pic of the 1280 doesn't do it justice. It's a stunning piece of gear in person. To me, these old receivers just seem to have a soul to them. Man, do they make some beautiful music. And will drive anything on the planet including the he-6 with aplomb.  

so i should have kept that (i forget the model#) mid 70's pioneer i got out of a cabin in helen that was being sold  ??
i gave it to somebody when i moved over here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back