Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,781 of 13,350
OG's will be warmer and lush. The bugle boys will have more resolution, airy and tighter bass. The laradiotechique are crazy expensive and I have not heard them. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,782 of 13,350
Well, I got some Orange Globes. We'll see! In for a penny, in for a pound, as we say over the pond...
redface.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,783 of 13,350
Can't see that one. What about the other Orange Globes? Bugle Boy?

I like the OG' over the BB's again 1967 and earlier. I didn't care for dimple getters or A frames. My tastes are "o" getters preferably large "O" getters. Like the RTC's. Beware of new Mullard RTCs. Again my tastes.

I do have a set of 1958 Bugle Boys "D". Getter.

I had a Lyr with HD650 and an ÜberFrist. The I loved the. OG's. Then I moved to LCD2 and it really came together. Then I sold the Lyr and built the 300B. Im using the same receiver valves above.
My preferences. If you'd like some valve material and links send me a PM

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3,784 of 13,350
  Let us know what you think of the Lyr/650 pairing :D.

Also what tubes are you using with the Lyr?

Well, now - after 8+ hours of burning-in - the Lyr is opening up the soundstage of the HD650s and giving a tight and controlled bass. The bass 'bulge' of the HD650s is no longer a bulge - it's an opportunity which the Lyr makes full use of. This is my first experience of valves since the radiogram in the family home in the 1960s (wish that I had pocketed the tubes,actually). They are finicky things, though. They need wooing. When I came back home this evening, I turned the Lyr on and started listening within ten minutes. The sound was colourless, weak in timbre, exactly the stong point of the HD650s with my SS amp. Now, an hour later, it sounds better and has some amazing aspects to it - spatial freedom and amplitude, fine detail and so on. Timbre is still not what it was, but there is a control of soundstage and imaging which is very good. I'm looking forward to the next 90 hours or so.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3,786 of 13,350
I was in a similar position re: Valhalla vs Lyr (plus others, such as Woo, Bottlehead, etc.). I opted for a Lyr for a) ubiquity, b) tube rolling options, c) possible ortho choice down the road and d) resale price, in case I wasn't happy. Oh, and I am totally electronics-blind, so Bottlehead was pretty much out the question. 

Whilst I have never heard a Valhalla, one might argue that tube selection might have a whole bunch to do with timbre and soundstage, though I'll be honest with you, I am not 100% sure what timbre actually is, although I imagine it to be similar to tone? 

Has anyone heard both Valhalla and Lyr with same chain who cares to comment?  

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,787 of 13,350
I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while, I have gained a lot of useful knowledge from many different users and I was led in the direction of the Schiit brand.  Maybe it was their name, their reputation, their great website... Whatever it was, I was intrigued. I started out with the Bifrost/Asgard 1 combo and I knew right then I was on to something special.  My original headphones were the Denon D5000s and at first, I was sure that nothing could top what I already had........

How wrong I was.

With a relatively short span of time, my Asgard 1 became an Asgard 2 and my perfectly good Denons became Audeze LCD-2s.   Upgrading finished, right?

Wrong.

I just set up my Gungnir/Mjolnir stack this week and without hesitation, I say that my music currently sounds the way I've always wanted it to sound. Extremely rich and detailed.  In a word, awesome in almost every respect.  The exciting part is that my new gear isn't even completely broken-in based on others' experiences. 

I have yet to be disappointed by anything made by Schiit, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would be.  It's just great gear. I'm not an audio expert and I don't know why these components sound the way they do.  I just know what sounds good to my ears, and the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo does it for me.  All in all, I'm a very happy Schiit owner.        

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3,790 of 13,350
  Google and you tube are your friend. 
biggrin.gif

i'm about computer/techno/geeked out, just spent the last 1-2 hours "untangling" the wife's numerous email, facebook cell phone accounts !!
time for some music !

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #3,793 of 13,350
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

The biggest problem is finding a PS3 with the right firmware (3.55 or below).

Thanks Radioking, I had done the searches but had come up with a mountain of hits, many of which seemed to have little relevance. I had found the thread you have linked to, it is good to know it is the one I need to look at further rather wasting my time with many other google hits. PS3  of the right technical ability shouldn't be an issue :wink: was my first Region A player but has not been on for years now, think it probably has firmware of under 3. It looks like it may be worth doing as I have all the hardware, software and could then treat myself to a Schiit Loki :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #3,794 of 13,350
  I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while, I have gained a lot of useful knowledge from many different users and I was led in the direction of the Schiit brand.  Maybe it was their name, their reputation, their great website... Whatever it was, I was intrigued. I started out with the Bifrost/Asgard 1 combo and I knew right then I was on to something special.  My original headphones were the Denon D5000s and at first, I was sure that nothing could top what I already had........

How wrong I was.

With a relatively short span of time, my Asgard 1 became an Asgard 2 and my perfectly good Denons became Audeze LCD-2s.   Upgrading finished, right?

Wrong.

I just set up my Gungnir/Mjolnir stack this week and without hesitation, I say that my music currently sounds the way I've always wanted it to sound. Extremely rich and detailed.  In a word, awesome in almost every respect.  The exciting part is that my new gear isn't even completely broken-in based on others' experiences. 

I have yet to be disappointed by anything made by Schiit, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would be.  It's just great gear. I'm not an audio expert and I don't know why these components sound the way they do.  I just know what sounds good to my ears, and the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo does it for me.  All in all, I'm a very happy Schiit owner.        

Your journey is nearly the same as mine. I started with the Denon D5000s without an amp and thought that I had reached my endgame. After a while I started reading about DACs so I went through a bunch of cheap ones finally ending up with a Emotiva XDA-1. Then Schiit released the Asgard. Well, I had to find out what headphone amplification was all about so I bought one and again thought that this was about as good as it could get. Here I am many upgrades and eBay sales later with an Emotiva DC-1, a very recently purchased Mjolnir, and LCD-2s. The Mjolnir really takes the LCD-2s to a new level and I couldn't be happier. I never thought that I would own gear that makes music sound this good. I will never make the mistake again of thinking that I have reached my endgame though. I've only had my LCD-2s about a month and a half and I have started wondering just how much better LCD-3s might sound...

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,795 of 13,350
I recently picked up a Bifrost with the Uber upgrade. Here's a photo of it with my Lyr: 

yPvI9nP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back