Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #12,601 of 13,350
Honestly, I think the issue some of us have is that it sounds like you have an axe to grind against headphones and, well, this is head-fi and we kind of like being positive about headphones. And, Schiit's wheel house IS headphone amps. AND, this is a Schiit unity forum... like, we kind of wanna talk about our communal love of both those things. Maybe you'd have better reception in the Fulla impression forum? In that sorta setting it's all about pros and cons. Here tho, I always had the feeling it was about excentuating the positivity.

Not looking to pick a fight - just trying to explain how some might be feeling.

In case you missed this part:

I owned five figures worth of headphones and auditioned five figures worth of others on top of that, so you could say I've gotten a good idea of what headphones can do, and up until recently, I preferred their more intimate presentation.

I've made thousands of posts about headphones, with quite a few of them being nothing but positive. I have the right to criticize them, because I've gone down that road for years and invested considerable resources into procuring (or otherwise hearing) them, and no one has the right to demand that I be only positive towards them. I don't care what it is, whether it's a headphone or speaker: when something comes along that outperforms what I've heard before, I'm going to be happy and positive about it. I am honest and share my subjective experiences. That is all. If that upsets others and they choose to interpret my words as putting down something they like, that's not my problem. At any rate, I've barely made any specific criticisms of headphones in this particular thread. I've gone into far greater detail about all sorts of headphones in various other threads. All I've really said here is that my speakers sound better to me than all the headphones I've heard. (An opinion that plenty of others have shared here.) What do you want me to do: lie and say they don't sound better to me? It's not like I don't love headphones too. I do! Music is my life. All my audio buddies (who I talk to via PM) have been happy for me that I found something I like more, even when I basically told them the same thing I've said here. They weren't offended that I like these more than headphones. I don't see why anyone should be.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #12,602 of 13,350
  All I've really said here is that my speakers sound better to me than all the headphones I've heard. (An opinion that plenty of others have shared here.) What do you want me to do: lie and say they don't sound better to me? It's not like I don't love headphones too. I do! Music is my life. All my audio buddies (who I talk to via PM) have been happy for me that I found something I like more, even when I basically told them the same thing I've said here. They weren't offended that I like these more than headphones. I don't see why anyone should be.

I have no idea what people are getting all excited about here. First, I can't see anything that Music Alchemist has written as controversial enough to cause criticism. Second, speakers do sound more realistic and natural than headphones. Which, to me, means speakers sound better than headphones. Quality speakers can have as much detail as headphones too. Generally, you are going to spend a lot more on preamps, amps, and speakers to get that quality sound. But it is available.

That doesn't means speakers are better than headphones for all people in all situations. And it doesn't mean headphones sound bad. I prefer to listen to speakers when I can. But I often listen to headphones because sometimes I need to be quiet. I do enjoy listening to both speakers and headphones.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #12,603 of 13,350
I have no idea what people are getting all excited about here. First, I can't see anything that Music Alchemist has written as controversial enough to cause criticism. Second, speakers do sound more realistic and natural than headphones. Which, to me, means speakers sound better than headphones. Quality speakers can have as much detail as headphones too. Generally, you are going to spend a lot more on preamps, amps, and speakers to get that quality sound. But it is available.

That doesn't means speakers are better than headphones for all people in all situations. And it doesn't mean headphones sound bad. I prefer to listen to speakers when I can. But I often listen to headphones because sometimes I need to be quiet. I do enjoy listening to both speakers and headphones.

I also agree, as I tend to listen to speakers alot more than headphones. Atleast until recently.
These days with my son and family around all the time I need to be isolated.
Otherwise I have always listened to speakers and in my new house I'll have some nice speakers for my office, and even my bathroom.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #12,605 of 13,350
Does anyone know how the Modi Multibit compares to the iFi micro iDSD?

As mentioned, I've been using the Fulla 2 as a DAC/preamp for speakers. I'm going to get RCA to XLR cables to use my iDSD as a DAC/preamp and see how it compares. But I'm curious whether the Modi Multibit would be even better.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #12,606 of 13,350
I also agree, as I tend to listen to speakers alot more than headphones. Atleast until recently.
These days with my son and family around all the time I need to be isolated.
Otherwise I have always listened to speakers and in my new house I'll have some nice speakers for my office, and even my bathroom.

I mostly just keep a subwoofer in my bathroom.

Don't think about that one too hard.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #12,607 of 13,350
I definitely listen to both speakers and headphones, when shopping for a Schiit amp I chose the Valhalla 2 because of the preamp out and I like being able to roll tubes and change the sound slightly. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #12,608 of 13,350
  Does anyone know how the Modi Multibit compares to the iFi micro iDSD?

As mentioned, I've been using the Fulla 2 as a DAC/preamp for speakers. I'm going to get RCA to XLR cables to use my iDSD as a DAC/preamp and see how it compares. But I'm curious whether the Modi Multibit would be even better.

Most likely it would be.
I mean not to be the Chi-Fi advocate here but with things like the Topping D30 and many FiiO products being so good I would say that the iDSD wouldn't be better than the Fulla2 for DAC/Pre-Amp output and if you just want a DAC check out the D30 unless you are going to spend the $250 for the Modi Multibit (if you buy now they still have black in stock too).

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #12,609 of 13,350
Schiit plays well with speakers...

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #12,610 of 13,350
Honestly, I think the issue some of us have is that it sounds like you have an axe to grind against headphones and, well, this is head-fi and we kind of like being positive about headphones. And, Schiit's wheel house IS headphone amps. AND, this is a Schiit unity forum... like, we kind of wanna talk about our communal love of both those things. Maybe you'd have better reception in the Fulla impression forum? In that sorta setting it's all about pros and cons. Here tho, I always had the feeling it was about excentuating the positivity.

Not looking to pick a fight - just trying to explain how some might be feeling.

He has no axe to grind. He has thousands of posts over what he prefers with headphones, he's just enjoying speakers a lot and prefers them now. People like different stuff. People change. People in this thread need to stop taking people's opinion's as "axes to grind". He's still using a Fulla 2 over much more expensive equipment he could have kept. Doesn't that speak a lot to the quality of Schiit gear?

Anyway, I love my speakers, and in fact prefer them to headphones in general as well, but that doesn't change the fact that I still very much enjoy my Schiit stack, and it shouldn't prevent anyone else from loving theirs as well.

I think more people are discovering how great they can make a personal desktop speaker system sound, which is why Schiit has developed things like the SYS which became so popular that they dove into two channel, dedicated, high quality preamps and speaker amps. Once people discovered all that Multibit can do for imaging on a set of speakers, it really opened the doors wide up for Schiit gear.

All I wanted to say is it's all a journey, and it's all dictated by your own preferences and what kind of listening environment you're given. I'm glad that Schiit's gear is flexible enough that it covers all the bases except home theater.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #12,611 of 13,350
I don't think it is the content that gets her/him frequently in arguments as much as the way he/she speaks to others on this forum and pushes his/her own preferences with a blatant lack of respect for what others have to say.

I know that is why I leave most threads when the said appears, but some threads are important to my pursuits and I stand steadfast and cringe.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #12,612 of 13,350
I don't think it is the content that gets her/him frequently in arguments as much as the way he/she speaks to others on this forum and pushes his/her own preferences with a blatant lack of respect for what others have to say.

I know that is why I leave most threads when the said appears, but some threads are important to my pursuits and I stand steadfast and cringe.

I think that its fine to make whatever recommendations you want.
I see people recommending stupid cables and loving tube amps even though I think that tube amps are stupid and that cables do nothing.

I don't get raged at people for believing in myths or for spending tons of money on audio equipment only to ruin the sound with tubes but to each their own.

You can't get upset at other peoples opinions because listening is subjective. I personally plan to use my newly ordered Mimby with speakers and If I decide to keep my Fulla2 it will be driving speakers on my second desktop setup in my new home.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #12,613 of 13,350

I find it quite ironic that you put things this way. Indeed: It's not what you say; it's how you say it. But nearly everything you've ever said to (or about) me has been a sarcastic insult. You could have just supported your standpoints with coherent arguments...or even simply stated your own preferences. I wouldn't have held it against you.

I'm not trying to pick any fights either. Like I have already said, I share my subjective experiences. You phrase it as pushing my preferences, but what else can I do? I'm not someone else; I'm me. The only perspective I can speak from (as far as my impressions go) is my own. (Sometimes I may cite others' impressions for reference.)

I don't have a lack of respect for what others say; it's just that it's often not relevant to me. If I dislike something and someone else likes it, or vice versa, what can be done? All we can do is share our experiences. If they are not in agreement, well, that's life.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #12,614 of 13,350

I find it quite ironic that you put things this way. Indeed: It's not what you say; it's how you say it. But nearly everything you've ever said to (or about) me has been a sarcastic insult. You could have just supported your standpoints with coherent arguments...or even simply stated your own preferences. I wouldn't have held it against you.

I'm not trying to pick any fights either. Like I have already said, I share my subjective experiences. You phrase it as pushing my preferences, but what else can I do? I'm not someone else; I'm me. The only perspective I can speak from (as far as my impressions go) is my own. (Sometimes I may cite others' impressions for reference.)

I don't have a lack of respect for what others say; it's just that it's often not relevant to me. If I dislike something and someone else likes it, or vice versa, what can be done? All we can do is share our experiences. If they are not in agreement, well, that's life.

Don't worry about it. If people can't deal with your opinion not matching up with theirs, that is their problem. You shouldn't have to sugar coat everything to please people. What kind of world are we living in now that has to be so damn sensitive??

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #12,615 of 13,350
How about we all pause this convo. and get back on topic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back