Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 1, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #12,136 of 13,350
The tube glow is so awesome. The minimalist design on Schiit amps is nice. Much better than some other tube amp with tubes and boxes sticking out at all bizarre directions. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #12,137 of 13,350
  The tube glow is so awesome. The minimalist design on Schiit amps is nice. Much better than some other tube amp with tubes and boxes sticking out at all bizarre directions. 

I like the minimalist look on my Schiit as well. I just ordered a Jodie a few hours ago to complete my pile of Schiit. This will fill up my equipment rack as well. Now I can get focused on auditioning and finalizing my stable of headphones. 

But, I still get nostalgic every time I see gear by Woo, or Bottlehead, and others still building in the time honored tube tradition of days past. There's nothing like a couple of rows of EL34's or KT88's, (or 300B's for the well heeled) providing enough glow for mood lighting that you don't need any other lights on the room at night. Good times!

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #12,138 of 13,350
  Even the cheapest of my better grade headphones, Sennheiser HD600's have separate wires right down to the plug. These cans are 300 Ohms and if they shared a common ground wire I doubt that any resulting crosstalk would be audible.
My Planar/Ortho cans are much lower impedance and might be more susceptible to such a problem, however, they have separate wires so that's not an issue.

Hello Stan,

Thanks for your comments.  This is a really late reply so I don't expect an answer from you but welcome responses from everyone.  Perhaps I wasn't clear: keeping separate wires merely *to the plug* will lower crosstalk in any circuit, but that is far inferior to a balanced *or* single-ended circuit which separates the grounds *within the amplifier.*  Connecting the grounds at the amp terminal is roughly equivalent to connecting the negative terminals of a power amp.    You could manage to do it with certain cheap, protective circuits and prevent catastrophe, but it would measure and sound lousy.

Now, of course the current and reactance of a pair of headphone transducer negative terminal are vastly smaller than with loudspeakers, so you can easily get away with that topology without the need for protective circuits.  But the channel crosstalk of a linked ground SE circuit compared to a balanced or an unlinked circuit is vastly higher.  Headphone amps of the first type are not high-fidelity instruments.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #12,139 of 13,350

Hello Stan,

Thanks for your comments.  This is a really late reply so I don't expect an answer from you but welcome responses from everyone.  Perhaps I wasn't clear: keeping separate wires merely *to the plug* will lower crosstalk in any circuit, but that is far inferior to a balanced *or* single-ended circuit which separates the grounds *within the amplifier.*  Connecting the grounds at the amp terminal is roughly equivalent to connecting the negative terminals of a power amp.    You could manage to do it with certain cheap, protective circuits and prevent catastrophe, but it would measure and sound lousy.

Now, of course the current and reactance of a pair of headphone transducer negative terminal are vastly smaller than with loudspeakers, so you can easily get away with that topology without the need for protective circuits.  But the channel crosstalk of a linked ground SE circuit compared to a balanced or an unlinked circuit is vastly higher.  Headphone amps of the first type are not high-fidelity instruments.

In the case of balanced headphones cabling, there are three wires per channel, the ground connection leads still end up at the same chassis ground as a SE cabling with independent ground leads. In a balanced output the two signal leads are 180 Deg out of phase around the common ground. I see no cause for difference in SQ.
Some folks seem to think that balanced headphones cabling prevents RFI, etc. I don't buy into this as the impedances are pretty low (output) and the lengths relatively short. This is not the same scenario as a high gain Mic input.

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #12,140 of 13,350
Anyone seen / have photos of the new Schiit? (Saga, Freya, Vidar)

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #12,142 of 13,350
Very cool, thanks.

I'm headphones only since retirement and downsizing, even had to settle for Bose 5.1 surround for my H/T, but I enjoy keeping up with Schiit-Co. Those amps look like the real deal.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #12,143 of 13,350
Hey does anyone Know if the Schiit Vidar is headphone compatible or is it speaker only? 

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #12,144 of 13,350
Hey does anyone Know if the Schiit Vidar is headphone compatible or is it speaker only? 

Definitely only intended for speakers, as the vidar is a traditional power amplifier. However if you really wanted to, you could use a Hifiman HE adapter, or another device known as the Robinette Box, to facilitate headphone use (just make sure you have a preamp as well! And don't use low impedance dynamics).

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #12,145 of 13,350
Ok so I have a pair of AKG K7xxs and I think I want to try tubes. I currently run a JDS labs element and its nice but too neutral for my taste. I would like something a bit more fun and musical sounding. I had a Fiio e10 before and that actually sounded more fun than the element but it didnt have enough power.

So Im looking at maybe tubes....obviously Im looking at the vali 2 and the Lyr 2. Obviously the Lyr is far more expensive and has far more power than the Vali. How much of a difference will I notice between the 2? The thing is with the Lyr every time I tube swap if I choose to, and Im sure I will, I will need 2 tubes. That will get expensive quick. The power of the Lyr is really sexy but do I really need it all of the headphones Im using.

Is there anything in the SS line of Schiit I could also look at too?

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #12,146 of 13,350
Ok so I have a pair of AKG K7xxs and I think I want to try tubes. I currently run a JDS labs element and its nice but too neutral for my taste. I would like something a bit more fun and musical sounding. I had a Fiio e10 before and that actually sounded more fun than the element but it didnt have enough power.

So Im looking at maybe tubes....obviously Im looking at the vali 2 and the Lyr 2. Obviously the Lyr is far more expensive and has far more power than the Vali. How much of a difference will I notice between the 2? The thing is with the Lyr every time I tube swap if I choose to, and Im sure I will, I will need 2 tubes. That will get expensive quick. The power of the Lyr is really sexy but do I really need it all of the headphones Im using.

I think, you need to think about what in the sound signature of your headphones that bothers you before taking any action. I wouldn't expect an Amp to make big changes for you. If it's FR related either try using some EQ or you might consider getting a pair of headphones that will scratch that itch the best. The Magni 2 (or Uber version) will most likely provide more power than you will need for all but a few headphones that are out there and is probably in your budget. It is low in distortion and doesn't affect SQ. IMO it's the headphones that make the big difference.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #12,147 of 13,350

The Vali 2 would be a good place to start if you are new to tube rolling.  Only one tube to roll, half the cost of rolling in the Lyr.

As far as SS Schiit,  try the Jotunheim...

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #12,148 of 13,350
I think, you need to think about what in the sound signature of your headphones that bothers you before taking any action. I wouldn't expect an Amp to make big changes for you. If it's FR related either try using some EQ or you might consider getting a pair of headphones that will scratch that itch the best. The Magni 2 (or Uber version) will most likely provide more power than you will need for all but a few headphones that are out there and is probably in your budget. It is low in distortion and doesn't affect SQ. IMO it's the headphones that make the big difference.

Power isn't the issue I don't think and from most things Ive read the Magni just doesn't sound that good with the K7xxs. I'm not looking to completly change the sound signature...just maybe warm them up a little.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #12,149 of 13,350
Power isn't the issue I don't think and from most things Ive read the Magni just doesn't sound that good with the K7xxs. I'm not looking to completly change the sound signature...just maybe warm them up a little.

Power is in reference to your statement that the FiiO E10 didn't have enough to please you and was meant to reassure you the the Magni would deliver. I found the Magni being too bright as a myth. I purchased one for a second listening station and volume matched A/B compared it with a switch to other Amps and didn't find any tonal differences. IMO a flat FR is just that, flat. I believe one really needs to do a proper comparison where they switch between the Amps using the same music, within seconds. I've done this on many occasions and found the experience to be enlightening. Keep in mind what I said, "it's the headphones that make the big difference." I wouldn't expect Amp magic.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #12,150 of 13,350

I had a pair of K702 with an original Vali. Sound was OK. Upgraded to a Lyr 2. Sound was still just OK, not much of a difference.
Turns out that K702s didn't really do it for me so I sold 'em. But I heard a bigger difference by upgrading my DAC from Modi to Bifrost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back