Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 27, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #12,106 of 13,350
I have to be honest and say that the only DAC I've listened to that cost more than a thousand dollars is the AK-240 player and I don't think you can compare. (Apples and Oranges) But the quality is apparent and I don't think I'm capable of hearing detail any better. I think it's actually going to be my endgame.  Don't need tube. I get it. I mean I understand the attraction, but I think I'm fine with what I've got. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #12,110 of 13,350
  The Bifrost+Lyr stack is a bit too costly for me rn, but I'm definitely considering the Jotunheim and a balanced cable for the HD800, does their sound really change that much when you switch to a balanced cable?

Just speaking from an electronic point of view, I can't believe they still make expensive unbalanced headphones.  It's a terrible way to drive any set of stereo transducers, because the negatives on each channel directly connect.  If you did that with loudspeakers (and said so on the forums) you would be thrashed, boiled, starved, and even criticized.  Not that I'm suggesting anything.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #12,111 of 13,350
It maybe due to the reason that there are still a lot of single ended device out there. Using usb and floppy disk as an analogy. For example usb type-C 3.1 that offers 40GB/s transfer speed that totally rekt USB Type-A 3.0. However there are still a lot of USB out there and it is hard to get everyone change to usb type-c in a short while. 

However in the audio world, it is relative harder to change all single end to balance. I dont really see the total elimination of single end, like the elimination of floppy disk to usb. A majority change to usb type-c may possibily happen in the comming 5 to 10 years, but I am unable to see majority changing from single end to balanced in a short while. Most likely will only be the removal of 3.5mm jack and all switching to lightning LOL. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #12,112 of 13,350

Just speaking from an electronic point of view, I can't believe they still make expensive unbalanced headphones.  It's a terrible way to drive any set of stereo transducers, because the negatives on each channel directly connect.  If you did that with loudspeakers (and said so on the forums) you would be thrashed, boiled, starved, and even criticized.  Not that I'm suggesting anything.

And how does, "negatives on each channel directly connect" affect SQ? All of my SE cables have their commons (negative) connected at the plug, not a shared wire in the cable, which is the correct way of doing things. Even not using individual wires for the commons are unlikely to have an audible affect unless the cable has a high resistance and the transducers are of a low impedance.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #12,113 of 13,350
Are there any Schiit owners using the HD 700's? I'm looking at either the Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2, but I really can't tell if going with tubes is a good idea.

That's the setup on my computer plus the Bifrost.  I really like it!  I think the Valhalla's tubes (stock) tame the highs in some music that the HD 700's are known to accentuate.  I would recommend the setup for sure!

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #12,114 of 13,350
  It maybe due to the reason that there are still a lot of single ended device out there. Using usb and floppy disk as an analogy. For example usb type-C 3.1 that offers 40GB/s transfer speed that totally rekt USB Type-A 3.0. However there are still a lot of USB out there and it is hard to get everyone change to usb type-c in a short while. 

However in the audio world, it is relative harder to change all single end to balance. I dont really see the total elimination of single end, like the elimination of floppy disk to usb. A majority change to usb type-c may possibily happen in the comming 5 to 10 years, but I am unable to see majority changing from single end to balanced in a short while. Most likely will only be the removal of 3.5mm jack and all switching to lightning LOL. 

No doubt.  Even with the sad loss of the analog jack on iPhones, right after they were making such nice sounds, the move to USB C and other types opens up a new world.  I like my USB C connection on my Nexus 6P, even though the most important part of this expensive phone, *phone sound*, really sucks! :)
EDIT: especially compared to my old HTC M8 which was sacrificed to Poseiden: salt water :frowning2:....

And how does, "negatives on each channel directly connect" affect SQ? All of my SE cables have their commons (negative) connected at the plug, not a shared wire in the cable, which is the correct way of doing things. Even not using individual wires for the commons are unlikely to have an audible affect unless the cable has a high resistance and the transducers are of a low impedance.

A nice argument!  And correct.  I wish you were around to help me out on another forum when I was talking up the benefits of bi-wiring in certain situations.  Yes you are getting much less distortion in your cans that way. ("Four-wire?")  I don't know which high-end headphones do keep those wires separate nearly to the main jack, probably most.

But some distortion arises from the mating of those grounds.  They do sum significant currents that flow uniquely to each channel, causing crosstalk that is several times higher than a balanced or merely separated circuit should provide.  You can lessen it with low-impedance wiring, but you can't match the separation of far more independent circuits.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #12,115 of 13,350
  :
:

A nice argument!  And correct.  I wish you were around to help me out on another forum when I was talking up the benefits of bi-wiring in certain situations.  Yes you are getting much less distortion in your cans that way. ("Four-wire?")  I don't know which high-end headphones do keep those wires separate nearly to the main jack, probably most.

But some distortion arises from the mating of those grounds.  They do sum significant currents that flow uniquely to each channel, causing crosstalk that is several times higher than a balanced or merely separated circuit should provide.  You can lessen it with low-impedance wiring, but you can't match the separation of far more independent circuits.

Even the cheapest of my better grade headphones, Sennheiser HD600's have separate wires right down to the plug. These cans are 300 Ohms and if they shared a common ground wire I doubt that any resulting crosstalk would be audible.
My Planar/Ortho cans are much lower impedance and might be more susceptible to such a problem, however, they have separate wires so that's not an issue.

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #12,117 of 13,350
@kyuu 
As you may read it already Jotunheim powering the HE-6. I would prefer having a dac module or another dac instead of using a phone to power analog signal

It can and does not sound bad at all.  That said I gererally use a 45watt speaker and to drive them and I do like the sound signature from my speaker amp better than the Jotinheim with the HE-6.

I have about a dozen sets of headphones, none of them sound bad on the Jotunheim.  Some just sound better than others...

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #12,118 of 13,350
Since I haven't heard the HE-6 I can't speak for it. A guy doing a review for Headfi said the Jot can handle the HE-6. None of the comments I've read that say the Jot can' t drive the HE-6 mention that  they've used it in the balanced four pin input on the back of the unit.  I'd like to know if somebody has and if it could drive them. I don't have the proper adapters to engage the DAC or the proper right and left XLRs to go into the balanced ports in the back of the unit right now, so I can't tell you how much louder the balanced port gets over the quarter inch port. Even If I never buy headphones as hard to drive as the HE-6, I'd really like to know it could handle it. It's strictly an ego issue....LOL

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #12,119 of 13,350
  Since I haven't heard the HE-6 I can't speak for it. A guy doing a review for Headfi said the Jot can handle the HE-6. None of the comments I've read that say the Jot can' t drive the HE-6 mention that  they've used it in the balanced four pin input on the back of the unit.  I'd like to know if somebody has and if it could drive them. I don't have the proper adapters to engage the DAC or the proper right and left XLRs to go into the balanced ports in the back of the unit right now, so I can't tell you how much louder the balanced port gets over the quarter inch port. Even If I never buy headphones as hard to drive as the HE-6, I'd really like to know it could handle it. It's strictly an ego issue....LOL

I think the back is a preamp and wouldn't have the power that the front would. Also the front XLR has a LOT more power than the front SE outputs. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #12,120 of 13,350
I think the balance 4 pin xlr at the front should give enough power to drive the HE6 well. It wont sound bad, but it may be different to powering it with a 40-50w loud speaker amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back