Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #11,056 of 13,350

Dude.... hall, as in a room in which some serious schiit is likely to be going down, esp. in Norse mythology.  Try a little reading comprehension:

"In Norse mythology, Lyr is Menglad’s hall in Jotunheim."

In case you're in doubt, google this:  define: hall

a large room for meetings, concerts, or other events.
"Carnegie Hall"

Isn't Jotunheim the land of the giants?  If so that's one huge hall.  Maybe it should be Carnegie Stadium.  Not sure how it relates....

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #11,057 of 13,350
Hi guys and girls.
I've recently purchased a pair of HD650's and I've used an Meridian explorer DAC for previous headphones with no amp. With the 650's being harder to drive can anybody offer advice regarding a suitable amp?
I also have a pair of ACS T2 IEMs which I'd also be using with it.
I've been looking towards a Schiit products, they any good.
Cheers. :cool:

Yes. I have a set of 650s. I'd suggest a Lyr2 with the Lisst solid stated tubes. I use my 650s almost exclusively with the Valhalla 2. But that isn't ideal for iems.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #11,058 of 13,350
Hi guys and girls.
I've recently purchased a pair of HD650's and I've used an Meridian explorer DAC for previous headphones with no amp. With the 650's being harder to drive can anybody offer advice regarding a suitable amp?
Cheers. :cool:

Also might want to look into either Asgard 2 or magni 2 uber. I've not heard either but they would be better option for iems. Tbh, the Vali (119) for the 650s and a magni 2 for your iems could work great and it's cheap. Lots of options.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #11,059 of 13,350
Appreciate the quick reply.
The vahalla2 and Lyr2 were my choices. I've also heard that tube amp's have a different sound, how would you describe the difference? What difference will the LIIST add.
Would they work with the Meridian?

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #11,060 of 13,350
Appreciate the quick reply.
The vahalla2 and Lyr2 were my choices. I've also heard that tube amp's have a different sound, how would you describe the difference? What difference will the LIIST add.
Would they work with the Meridian?

I'm not sure. Not familiar with outputs on the meridian. I thought is was integrated DAC/amp. Might want to look into that further.

Some tube amps can be syrupy and colored. Schiit does not do it that way thank god. Tubes done right will be very articulate and clear with tremendous dynamics. They can warm up the overal tone because they have even order harmonics which reinforce the fundamental tones. I prefer the solid state tubes in the lyr2. It works very well with the hd650. That headphone already has a warm sound. With the Valhalla 2, the stock tubes are phenomenal and it's such a great amp for those 650s. The lyr 2 can be better with different tubes than stock.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #11,062 of 13,350
  Isn't Jotunheim the land of the giants?  If so that's one huge hall.  Maybe it should be Carnegie Stadium.  Not sure how it relates....

LOL.  Since I pulled that quote from the Lyr 2 manual, I'll let Jason field that one 
wink.gif

The definition of "hall" came from Google, Carnegie Hall being their example.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #11,063 of 13,350
Hi guys and girls.
Cheers.
cool.gif

I've driven my HD650s with several amps, and none are better than the TEAC HA-501. It's an overlooked amp, but it's my go-to. Seriously, it's magnificent. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #11,065 of 13,350
I ordered a Gumby on Friday and got a shipped email about 40 minutes later.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #11,067 of 13,350
I ordered a mjo2 on Friday morning and got the shipped notice about an hour later. The package was not picked up till about 3 though. Just doesn't get much more efficient than that IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back