Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 6, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #8,176 of 13,350
  I've been doing some A/B testing between plugging my headphones hd 650s straight into my computer and plugging it into the bifrost uber/lyr 2 stack and I'm literally not hearing any differences in sound quality at all.

Any updates on this yet? Biting my nails here 
ph34r.gif

I'm honestly a bit surprised that there is no difference for the hd650s. The Sennheiser hd600/hd650 are supposed to scale up very well with nicer components. Though my HE-400 is supposed to be comparable sound quality-wise to the HD650, and I do personally feel like the sonic improvements with any dac in general is not really worth the cost for my HE-400.

From my personal experience, sonic improvements of extra components are quite subtle regardless (compared to upgrading headphones). Often times, more expensive does not always equate to something that you prefer more. More along the lines of different flavors/subtle tuning of the sound signature, though sometimes you can tell that one is more technically capable from micro-detail or imaging.

@scizzro, for you specifically, I personally feel like that $500ish dac may be a bit overkill for your headphone collection of mid-fi $300 headphones especially since you already have a nice sound card. I always like to allocate most of my budget into headphones as they make the largest impact on sound quality.

Regardless, people here have a variety of different opinions & feelings on these subjects. Trust your own ears & let us know what you think! :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #8,177 of 13,350
  Any updates on this yet? Biting my nails here 
ph34r.gif

Give me a few more days. I've been burning everything in and have been trying to listen to them about 10 hours a day. Been wearing the 650s on in my sleep as well lol. Trying to get as familiar as I can with the sound of this setup before I compare it back to the xonar and to the desktop.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that there is no difference for the hd650s. The Sennheiser hd600/hd650 are supposed to scale up very well with nicer components. Though my HE-400 is supposed to be comparable sound quality-wise to the HD650, and I do personally feel like the sonic improvements with any dac in general is not really worth the cost for my HE-400.

From my personal experience, sonic improvements of extra components are quite subtle regardless (compared to upgrading headphones). Often times, more expensive does not always equate to something that you prefer more. More along the lines of different flavors/subtle tuning of the sound signature, though sometimes you can tell that one is more technically capable from micro-detail or imaging.

@scizzro, for you specifically, I personally feel like that $500ish dac may be a bit overkill for your headphone collection of mid-fi $300 headphones especially since you already have a nice sound card. I always like to allocate most of my budget into headphones as they make the largest impact on sound quality.

Regardless, people here have a variety of different opinions & feelings on these subjects. Trust your own ears & let us know what you think! :)

Honestly I was thinking, if I just returned the schiit stack and the hd 650s I could afford a used hd 800 with some money left over. My xonar sound card would be able to drive them somewhat alright.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #8,178 of 13,350
  Give me a few more days. I've been burning everything in and have been trying to listen to them about 10 hours a day. Been wearing the 650s on in my sleep as well lol. Trying to get as familiar as I can with the sound of this setup before I compare it back to the xonar and to the desktop.

Honestly I was thinking, if I just returned the schiit stack and the hd 650s I could afford a used hd 800 with some money left over. My xonar sound card would be able to drive them somewhat alright.

I always think that kinda option is always the best. I feel like you want to start with a TOTL pair of headphones before you start investing in higher end amplifiers & dacs, but that's just a personal opinion.

will enjoy hearing your final thoughts on this matter after some time.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #8,179 of 13,350
  Picked amplifier for my Beyerdynamic DT880PRO 250ohm. Enough Vali , or buy Asgard 2, and close the topic?
P/S/ Began a correspondence with the SCHIIT. They ship for free, or extra charge?

I have both amps and highly recommend the Asgard 2.
Free? Nothing is for free.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #8,180 of 13,350
  Picked amplifier for my Beyerdynamic DT880PRO 250ohm. Enough Vali , or buy Asgard 2, and close the topic?
P/S/ Began a correspondence with the SCHIIT. They ship for free, or extra charge?

Shipping is extra. However, some of their offerings are available on Amazon with free prime shipping. Some Amazon listing have extra shipping costs as well though.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #8,181 of 13,350
  Shipping is extra. However, some of their offerings are available on Amazon with free prime shipping. Some Amazon listing have extra shipping costs as well though.

If you compare prices, even though Amazon Prime has free shipping, the unit price on Amazon is higher, plus if you are not a Prime memer, you would have to pay for that as well. Nothing is really free,

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #8,182 of 13,350
The only advantage of ordering Schiit from Amazon is for prime members on prime eligible Schiit. You pay about $10 more on average but with prime you get guaranteed 2 day shipping free. Other than prime eligible stuff you are better off ordering from Schiit.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #8,183 of 13,350
  If you compare prices, even though Amazon Prime has free shipping, the unit price on Amazon is higher, plus if you are not a Prime memer, you would have to pay for that as well. Nothing is really free,

Yes, I guess you are right that the Prime eligible items are $10 more, but from my experience shipping from Schiit is usually pricier than that. $16.47 shipping for the Bifrost & $15.96 shipping for the Lyr 2. Took about a week for them to be delivery. Prime has like 2 day shipping and a 30 refund policy without a restocking fee (vs the 15 day return policy at Schiit with a restocking fee).

Usually, the total price would be cheaper from Amazon Prime & you can feel safer if you are unhappy with the product. Amazon provides free return shipping if your unit has issues. If you are unsure whether you will want to keep the item, it seems like Amazon is the better bet. If you are not a Prime member, there is no reason to purchase from Amazon besides their customer service and 30 return window.

I did personally purchased all my items from Schiit directly just to show my support for them as they have lower margins from Amazon.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #8,184 of 13,350
I have a problem. In the winter I live in Thailand :))  Here no one wants to send. Amazon does not want. And very high customs duties: ((
Enjoy Thailand. Get out to the beach while we are indoors getting pale and fussing with headphone amps. When you get back to your summer home, order some Schiit, they'll still be there.
Problem solved.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #8,186 of 13,350
Could anyone with experience with all the Schiits (Asgard 2, Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2), or at least two on them, paired with Beyerdynamic T1, describe their findings about the sound? I have Asgard 2 now, and while I find it sounds great with T1, I'd like to try a Lyr or Valhalla, however, I can't hear them before buying, also there's no return policy in Europe where I will buy them.  Which one would give the most holographic and 3D soundstage, and which would give the best bass response (most importantly sub bass, which I find a bit lacking on Asgard 2)?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #8,187 of 13,350
  Could anyone with experience with all the Schiits (Asgard 2, Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2), or at least two on them, paired with Beyerdynamic T1, describe their findings about the sound? I have Asgard 2 now, and while I find it sounds great with T1, I'd like to try a Lyr or Valhalla, however, I can't hear them before buying, also there's no return policy in Europe where I will buy them.  Which one would give the most holographic and 3D soundstage, and which would give the best bass response (most importantly sub bass, which I find a bit lacking on Asgard 2)?

Thanks!

I've compared the Lyr 2 with the Asgard 2 in the past and there is a substantial difference in the soundstage, depth and detail. I auditioned it with the Hifiman HE560 and the Sennheiser HD700 and 800. Because the Lyr 2 is a hybrid amp, the sound signature will be slightly warmer than your solid state Asgard. I do not have experience with the T1 so I guess someone else can share that finding for you.

To conclude, I would say the most substantial difference is the soundstage. To me, it was a night-and-day difference and I noticed it within the first 10 seconds of the song.

dL

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #8,188 of 13,350

Yes, I guess you are right that the Prime eligible items are $10 more, but from my experience shipping from Schiit is usually pricier than that. $16.47 shipping for the Bifrost & $15.96 shipping for the Lyr 2. Took about a week for them to be delivery. Prime has like 2 day shipping and a 30 refund policy without a restocking fee (vs the 15 day return policy at Schiit with a restocking fee).

Usually, the total price would be cheaper from Amazon Prime & you can feel safer if you are unhappy with the product. Amazon provides free return shipping if your unit has issues. If you are unsure whether you will want to keep the item, it seems like Amazon is the better bet. If you are not a Prime member, there is no reason to purchase from Amazon besides their customer service and 30 return window.

I did personally purchased all my items from Schiit directly just to show my support for them as they have lower margins from Amazon.

I happen to be a Prime member, but I buy all sorts of merchandise from Amazon, so it makes sense for  me. Recently I bought a 3D Blue Ray player from Amazon. Weeks later it went up in a puff of smoke. They didn't have a replacement in stock, so I opted for a return, The process was simple and the refund was given very quickly.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #8,189 of 13,350
  You pay about $10 more on average but with prime you get guaranteed 2 day shipping free. 

Not $10 anymore. Too much abuse killed that.

A rational breakdown of the pros and cons of ordering via Amazon:

Pros: 

Easier/simpler return policy (now fully baked into the price)
Great if you have points or gift cards
Could be overall a plus if you're a Prime member, based on cost-inclusive (there is no such thing as "free") 2-day shipping

Cons:

More expensive than buying direct
May end up getting an Amazon repack, not new (they refuse to return everything to us--at our cost--despite us asking/demanding this several times)
Not in our system (keep your receipt for warranty service)

In some cases, ordering via Amazon may work out well. But if you're looking for the lowest price, it'll be on the site.

All B-stock and closeout will be on the site too, starting next week.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back