Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,916 of 13,350
  I'm some problems with static.  If the source is silent and I touch the chassis of the Bifrost or the chasis of the Valhalla - I get static through the headphones.  I noticed this first when my headphone cables were draped over my computer monitor.  I thought the monitor was the source of the interference.  I moved the head phone cables out of the way and touched the amp - static.

So do I have a ground problem?

My first Lyr had some static but the this one that I have now is dead quiet.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,917 of 13,350
Let us know what you think!

Got the modi and magni for new he500s. But my old main can was the 940s. It's wonderful with the magni. But gets really bright when you want to listen loud. I love my 940s. But it's not a good pairing with the modi and magni if you like to listen loud since it just can't get loud enough without being too bright with some songs.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,918 of 13,350
That is my experience with magni with some of my cans, also.  The Vali and the Asgard 2 are not so bright, might be worth looking into.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #3,919 of 13,350
I'm some problems with static.  If the source is silent and I touch the chassis of the Bifrost or the chasis of the Valhalla - I get static through the headphones.  I noticed this first when my headphone cables were draped over my computer monitor.  I thought the monitor was the source of the interference.  I moved the head phone cables out of the way and touched the amp - static.

Depends on the nature of the noise.

HUM through the headphones could be a ground loop problem; in some cases it comes on when you touch things, in others it goes away when you touch. There are lots of articles online that can help you work through it.

External HUM from a component (not through the headphones) could be a bad or poorly isolated transformer, or DC voltage on the AC line (can be fixed with a "Humbuster").

STATIC is a different sound. Here's a recent example of mine. Thought my Valhalla volume control was static-y when I touched it, but found lots more static (through the headphones) when I rubbed my hand on the headphone cable. Shut the system down and used my Zerostat on all the cables. Powered up and static completely gone-everything dead silent. Static electricity is everywhere, carpets, clothing, etc. and it can affect our systems. This was way easy compared to the ground loop I once fought for months in my main system.

This is all anecdotal from my experiences, not scientific.

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,920 of 13,350
Depends on the nature of the noise.

HUM through the headphones could be a ground loop problem; in some cases it comes on when you touch things, in others it goes away when you touch. There are lots of articles online that can help you work through it.

External HUM from a component (not through the headphones) could be a bad or poorly isolated transformer, or DC voltage on the AC line (can be fixed with a "Humbuster").

STATIC is a different sound. Here's a recent example of mine. Thought my Valhalla volume control was static-y when I touched it, but found lots more static (through the headphones) when I rubbed my hand on the headphone cable. Shut the system down and used my Zerostat on all the cables. Powered up and static completely gone-everything dead silent. Static electricity is everywhere, carpets, clothing, etc. and it can affect our systems. This was way easy compared to the ground loop I once fought for months in my main system.

This is all anecdotal from my experiences, not scientific.

My experience as well with the Valhalla, static while touching the volume knob, silence when not touching it. Interesting. I assume you have the V1 of the Valhalla?

cheers,
K

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #3,921 of 13,350
Got the modi and magni for new he500s. But my old main can was the 940s. It's wonderful with the magni. But gets really bright when you want to listen loud. I love my 940s. But it's not a good pairing with the modi and magni if you like to listen loud since it just can't get loud enough without being too bright with some songs.

It's true that some pairings with certain music gets too bright or harsh. This is why tube amps or hybrids sound so good with that kind of music (and why tube rolling is so useful). Personally, I really love my Magni, but only with certain types of music. I will swap out my Magni for a hybrid amp sometimes, which can absolutely tone down and warm up music that would otherwise sound too bright or harsh.

If you want to experiment with an amazing (and inexpensive) hybrid, I would highly recommend the Schiit Vali.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #3,922 of 13,350

Well, static and ground loop noise are two different things. If you're getting some odd hums or other noise when you touch a component, then that's most likely some sort of grounding issue. Static (or RFI) would be something caused by an external source of noise, like a fan, a hair dryer, a TV, etc, that comes and goes when the external device is either turned on/off, or moved far away. The reason I point out the difference is, it helps to determine the source of the noise, and a possible solution to the issue.

The things to do to fix a grounding issue would be to start out by making sure the AC outlet you use is properly grounded. Use one of these little AC outlet checkers from a hardware store to do that. If there's a problem with the outlet, have it fixed by a competent electrician.

As for static, If you have a lot of electrical components placed together, try moving them apart one at a time, to see which of them might be causing the noise. Try to isolate whatever is causing the noise, and route the wires away from your audio gear.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3,923 of 13,350
I had a problem with my Lyr where I would have the odd crackling noise in my HPs. While chasing it down, I accidentally touched one of the tubes (in the front socket) and sure enough, every time I touched it the noise would appear. I pulled out both tubes and put fresh Amperex tubes. Touch wood, no noise until now (its been about 2 weeks).

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #3,924 of 13,350
My 3 year old son also likes this Schiit

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3,925 of 13,350
  My 3 year old son also likes this Schiit

He even doesn't like to look at them.  
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3,927 of 13,350

Can you comment on which of the two generally output the least brightness to your ears?

i've had the A2 and i have the vali, i'd say the vali, though i didn't find the A2 bright especially

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #3,928 of 13,350

Can you comment on which of the two generally output the least brightness to your ears?

I found the AS2 to be too way harsh for my DT990s so much that I'm sending it back. I really did not enjoy listening with the AS2 at all, very fatiguing and boring. Although I don't have a lot of experience with amps and have never heard a Vali, so keep that in mind.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #3,929 of 13,350

They are pretty close to my ear as far as brightness goes, But the being said they are different, I am favoring the vali sound right now over the Asgard 2.  But the taboo mkII still gets most of my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back