Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3,887 of 13,350
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,888 of 13,350
  I just got my Modi to complement my Vali that I bought a few weeks ago. This Schiit is absolutely fantastic~

Yes. Absolutely.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the Modi does not get nearly the attention it deserves. My god, it's a $99 dollar masterpiece. Yeah, you can get better DAC's, but you'll spend a whole lot more than $99 clams. Yeah, I want a Bifrost Uber someday. But that's $520 bucks, which is a whole lot harder to justify, especially when you're an Old Guy (tm) like me (with old, degraded hearing too). I honestly hope my hearing isn't bad enough so I can't hear the difference, but I'm waiting until I get to a meet someday to be sure (the 2014 SoCal HeadFi meet in particular).

Yes, I know all the arguments about upgrading source components. But for $99 bucks, if the Modi will get you 90% of the way to audio nirvana, then there just isn't any excuse not to have one. Or two.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #3,889 of 13,350

Yes. Absolutely.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the Modi does not get nearly the attention it deserves. My god, it's a $99 dollar masterpiece. Yeah, you can get better DAC's, but you'll spend a whole lot more than $99 clams. Yeah, I want a Bifrost Uber someday. But that's $520 bucks, which is a whole lot harder to justify, especially when you're an Old Guy (tm) like me (with old, degraded hearing too). I honestly hope my hearing isn't bad enough so I can't hear the difference, but I'm waiting until I get to a meet someday to be sure (the 2014 SoCal HeadFi meet in particular).

Yes, I know all the arguments about upgrading source components. But for $99 bucks, if the Modi will get you 90% of the way to audio nirvana, then there just isn't any excuse not to have one. Or two.

i'm and old guy myself, not sure how good/bad my hearing is, but the difference in the modi and the uberfrost is pretty dramatic to me, more dramatic than the difference between the uberfrost and the wadia 121 i have now

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #3,890 of 13,350

i'm and old guy myself, not sure how good/bad my hearing is, but the difference in the modi and the uberfrost is pretty dramatic to me, more dramatic than the difference between the uberfrost and the wadia 121 i have now

Yes. I have heard the same from multiple sources, so I tend to believe that to be the case. But even if it is dramatic to you, I have different ears
wink.gif
And mine have been through some rough times.

I spent many years working in a noisy test lab with many fans in it, some as close as a foot away from my ears. For 8+ hours a day. When I questioned the noise level of the fans, the company brought in a sound pressure level meter to measure the sound level. They found that it was several dB below the legal limit. So they did nothing.

All they offered me were those annoying little foam ear plugs. Those little things did nothing but irritate my ears. Because I was young I suppose, I foolishly decided that because the noise level was below the legal limit, that it would not damage my hearing. I was wrong.

After I left the company, I had occasion to measure my hearing by an audiologist. They found that I had a distinct hearing loss in the upper midrange region of something like 8 dB. I can only conclude that 14+ years of exposure to this noise, damaged my hearing permanently.

I work for a different company now. Sometimes I have to spend long hours in a noisy test lab with equally loud cooling fans. But now, I bring in some very nice Husqvarna protective headphones (they don't permit me to have an ipod with music). They are dead quiet and go a long way to protect the hearing I have left. I have measured my hearing response and I can only hear up to 14 kHz (using my best gear). So I tend to be skeptical when opting to drop large dollars on gear that might only offer marginal improvements.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3,891 of 13,350
I thought I had upgraded my Magni to a better headphone amplifier (Cary Nighthawk), but for $99, the Magni destroys the Nighthawk (retail $1200) when paired with the Mad Dogs (this is the only pairing I've tried with the Nighthawk, so maybe it just isn't good with orthos). More power, more open sound. The highs are a little bright, but it really does tame the bass and keeps it out of the midrange and I can basically listen all day (I did a full 8 hour session the other day). On the Nighthawk, the mids were swallowed up by the bass and the sound wasn't nearly as open.

Good Schiit! Magni might be dirt cheap and looks like a Schiit amp given the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" treatment (it sits on top of my Dac-It for a nice office stack), but that thing is serious.

Any opinions on the Asgard 2 with either Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs? Mad Dogs are really lousy if not properly amped. After hearing the Mad Dogs on the Magni, I'm much less inclined to upgrade them to Alpha Dogs because the bass is so fun and unobtrusive.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,892 of 13,350

Yes. I have heard the same from multiple sources, so I tend to believe that to be the case. But even if it is dramatic to you, I have different ears
wink.gif

I spent many years working in a noisy test lab with many fans in it, some as close as a foot away from my ears. For 8+ hours a day. When I questioned the noise level of the fans, the company brought in a sound pressure level meter to measure the sound level. They found that it was several dB below the legal limit. So they did nothing.

All they offered me were those annoying little foam ear plugs. Those little things did nothing but irritate my ears. Because I was young I suppose, I foolishly decided that because the noise level was below the legal limit, that it would not damage my hearing. I was wrong.

After I left the company, I had occasion to measure my hearing by an audiologist. They found that I had a distinct hearing loss in the upper midrange region of something like 8 dB. I can only conclude that 14+ years of exposure to this noise, damaged my hearing permanently.

I work for a different company now. Sometimes I have to spend long hours in a noisy test lab with equally loud cooling fans. But now, I bring in some very nice Husqvarna protective headphones (they don't permit me to have an ipod with music). They are dead quiet and go a long way to protect the hearing I have left. I have measured my hearing response and I can only hear up to 14 kHz (using my best gear). So I tend to be skeptical when opting to drop large dollars on gear that might only offer marginal improvements.

That's good to know. I work in a noisy datacenter and I picked up a set of Bose QC20i out of convenience since it cuts out 90% of background noise and I hate having IEM's inside my ear canals. Now to see if I can justify expensing these at work. :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #3,893 of 13,350

wink.gif

yeah, our ears are all different for sure
i guess i've been pretty fortunate, i did work in a bar with live music for a a while while in my early 20's
many mornings after the night before, still couldn't hear too good ! lol, but, it wasn't over many years,
less than two years, and at one point, especially with the louder bands, ear plugs were used
i haven't been tested in a while to any special degree, but i seem to hear ok, though i wouldn't say great

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,896 of 13,350
Hey guys so I just received my Asgard 2 tonight.  WOW all I can say is how underwhelming
confused.gif
I'm actually beginning to wonder if my unit is damaged.

My setup: Sounder blaster Z/Asgard 2/DT990 Pro 250ohm. Running a 3.5mm Y adapter off my Z(just like I did with my V-Can)

After much anticipation I plugged in my new Schiit and began cooking dinner to let it warm up. Turned on my favorite high res Zeds Dead album (off the wall house/dubstep/hip-hop) I was severely disappointed with the sound. The power is there but its just lacking the exciting highs and crunchy punchy lows I witnessed with my Musical Fidelity V-Can II.
I gave this amp to my dad and really have missed it everyday that its been gone.

With my V-Can I felt as if I can crank that thing as loud as my ears can take. As an aircraft mechanic my hearing isn't that great these days, so it was LOUD and the bass never began to distort. With my AS2 I cannot reach an exciting listening level before the sound seems to clash together into a muddy mess.

Did I strike gold with my V-Can/Beyer combo? Is my Asgard 2 severely outperforming my Sound blaster Z? User error, cannot find the proper volume levels for my Z/Media player/AMP Gain?
Anything above 65% volume and I hear a VERY noticeable buzzing/other odd interference noise. I'd still consider myself a newbie and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,897 of 13,350
  Hey guys so I just received my Asgard 2 tonight.  WOW all I can say is how underwhelming
confused.gif

My setup: Sounder blaster Z/Asgard 2/DT990 Pro 250ohm. Running a 3.5mm Y adapter off my Z(just like I did with my V-Can)

After much anticipation I plugged in my new Schiit and began cooking dinner to let it warm up. Turned on my favorite high res Zeds Dead album (off the wall house/dubstep/hip-hop) I was severely disappointed with the sound. The power is there but its just lacking the exciting highs and crunchy punchy lows I witnessed with my Musical Fidelity V-Can II.
I gave this amp to my dad and really have missed it everyday that its been gone.

With my V-Can I felt as if I can crank that thing as loud as my ears can take. As an aircraft mechanic my hearing isn't that great these days, so it was LOUD and the bass never began to distort. With my AS2 I cannot reach an exciting listening level before the sound seems to clash together into a muddy mess.

Did I strike gold with my V-Can/Beyer combo? Is my Asgard 2 severely outperforming my Sound blaster Z? User error, cannot find the proper volume levels for my Z/Media player/AMP Gain?
Anything above 65% volume and I hear a VERY noticeable buzzing/other odd interference noise. I'd still consider myself a newbie and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A few basic questions:
What gain setting are you using with Asgard 2? Switch on the back I would try both hi and low once the other questions have been sorted. 
Are you using the line level out of the SB card or the HO out?  Should be using "line out 1 jack" from the card.  (next to the HO out, but not the mic which is the first one.)
What volume level is the computer software set at?  Should be max on the PC/media player and control the volume with the Asgard 2.
What software are you using?
What playback setting are you using? WASAPI (event), Direct Sound, etc??

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #3,899 of 13,350
confused.gif

My guess is you need to put a DAC in there, between the Sound Blaster and the Asgard. Should make a world of difference.

I went through the same thing, trying to go computer/cd player to amp and the sound was awful. Flat, 2D, boring. Adding the Dac-It to my chain is when I started getting that amazing, big 3D soundstage.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #3,900 of 13,350

My guess is you need to put a DAC in there, between the Sound Blaster and the Asgard. Should make a world of difference.

I went through the same thing, trying to go computer/cd player to amp and the sound was awful. Flat, 2D, boring. Adding the Dac-It to my chain is when I started getting that amazing, big 3D soundstage.

I thought the same thing but did not want to go there until we knew more about the setup...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back