Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,296 of 13,350
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.

So just out of curiosity, what would be the major downside to using a cheaply built switch, the kind you might pick up in a Radioshack or similar?

Just how badly could a cheaper switch affect things? As I look at some of my set up, I see some of my RCA connects are fairly bog standard as it is and I wonder whether they would already limiting things in the same way the cheaper switch would.

Would I'm struggling to say here is, would there be much point in buying a decent switch, if my RCAs are fairly generic?

Cheers

I think it boils down to the way the connections are made and the actual switching mechanism, basically the construction of the switch, you might be able to find a cheap switch that functions just fine.  If its cheap it wouldn't hurt to try it.  I would be cautious with any switch when 'switching' i.e. turn the volume of all components down before turning the selector.  I bought this one out of curiosity and because I live in the sticks and cant get to somewhere I can look at a bunch of options. I also own a Decware amp and really like it so I figured I give them some more business.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,298 of 13,350
Quote:
It will all come down to budget and future proofing. Most of the guys here in your situation would end up buying the bifrost eventually. Curiosity for something better will usually get the best of us. 

If you are trying to stick to a lower budget, you could consider the odac by jds labs with rca outs. It's a pretty darn good dac. I had it...really liked it, but then curiosity got the best of me. So I bought a used bifrost here (non usb) and then later added the uber board...yeah, I know. But now I finally feel like I'm settled. 

gL!!

But Matt... have you tried the HD 650s balanced on mojo/gun yet? or have you already satisfied that curiosity?

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,299 of 13,350
No, I haven't tried anything balanced. My wallet basically cures me of that curiosity. I'm just too frugal. I'm more of a mid tier guy...bang for the buck. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,300 of 13,350
Yea, I thought that way before, thinking "I'll never go balanced"...  then I heard the HD 600 balanced @ a meet... and THEN found a solid deal for a used mojo/gun stack
tongue.gif
... did the math and realized I'd be already paying 75% of that price for of a new A2 BF stack... so I figured to myself "why not just cry once and go endgame?
blink.gif
". Wallet did indeed cry... but no regrets tho.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,301 of 13,350
Quote:
Yea, I thought that way before, thinking "I'll never go balanced"...  then I heard the HD 600 balanced @ a meet... and THEN found a solid deal for a used mojo/gun stack
tongue.gif
... did the math and realized I'd be already paying 75% of that price for of a new A2 BF stack... so I figured to myself "why not just cry once and go endgame?
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

It's reading comments like this that are keeping me poor at the moment 
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,302 of 13,350
If you're up for some fairly simple DIY, you can build a nice switch yourself and save some money.

Glass Ware sells a switch already mounted to a PCB, nice quality, makes it super simple.  They've got one that allows selection of 3 stereo inputs and one that allows 6.

This is the one I ended up building - apologies for the crappy photos:

It does not pick up any interference or noise, and has absolutely no effect on sound to my ears.

-Mike

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.

So just out of curiosity, what would be the major downside to using a cheaply built switch, the kind you might pick up in a Radioshack or similar?

Just how badly could a cheaper switch affect things? As I look at some of my set up, I see some of my RCA connects are fairly bog standard as it is and I wonder whether they would already be limiting things in the same way the cheaper switch would.

What I'm struggling to say here is, would there be much point in buying a decent switch, if my RCAs are fairly generic?

Cheers

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #2,303 of 13,350
Quote:
tongue.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

HAHAHAHA. you keep telling yourself that... "cry once". We've (wallets) have been crying a lot lately... it'll never EVER be just ONCE. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2,304 of 13,350
Okay guys I am trying to figure this out, which schiit amp would be most usable universally? Because what it is starting to seem like is they all have a specific purpose. I bought a Valhala but I "need" something somewhere near endgame that can work with multiple types of cans (like 600 ohm Beyers and HE-500's)

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,305 of 13,350
Any of the Schiit amps, except the Valhalla, can drive a wide range of headphones.  "Near end game" in single-ended would be the Lyr.  In balanced, it's the Mjolnir.

Quote:
Okay guys I am trying to figure this out, which schiit amp would be most usable universally? Because what it is starting to seem like is they all have a specific purpose. I bought a Valhala but I "need" something somewhere near endgame that can work with multiple types of cans (like 600 ohm Beyers and HE-500's)

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,306 of 13,350
figured as much....

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,307 of 13,350
Quote:
Any of the Schiit amps, except the Valhalla, can drive a wide range of headphones.  "Near end game" in single-ended would be the Lyr.  In balanced, it's the Mjolnir.

Remember, Mjolnir is quiet enough for IEMs
biggrin.gif
and enough muscle to handle the most power hungry phones... so I'd consider that "endgame" (sorry bout your wallet)

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2,309 of 13,350
^^ This. The A2 is really impressive. It's very good at driving iem's with no hiss, I have the gr07, and power even on high gain to drive orthos. Put the A2 with the uber bifrost and that's end game for a lot of people. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back