Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #406 of 6,930
Agree with the original Mojo - HD800 not working.  Will be interested to hear if the Mojo 2 is better.
You heard the HD800 with the HDVA600 - at the meet - interested in a comparison.

Agree as well having owned both. IMO M2/GMB is still a tad bright with the HD 800s. YMMV

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #407 of 6,930
Agree as well having owned both. IMO M2/GMB is still a tad bright with the HD 800s. YMMV

What tubes are in your MJ2?

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #409 of 6,930
I've tried the LISST, Russian 6N23P, JAN Philips 6922, Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8, and RFT ECC88. All have different sound signatures, but the smoothest in the top end are the RFT ECC88's made in East Germany.

I haven't tried the stock tubes for comparison, but I'm sure there is something out there that will tame the HD800's down a notch or two. That's most of the fun with tubes, each brand/type has their own flavor they add...

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #410 of 6,930
To my ear, the HD800 is absolutely wonderful with the Gungnir MB/Mjolnir 2 pair. I'm using rather aggressive tubes right now ('74 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields), which are maybe very slightly aggressive with the HD800 (though they're perfect for other cans). HD800/GMB/MJ2 has become one of my very favorite combinations. It is indeed slightly bright with a stock HD800, but I personally don't find it to be "too bright".

I found that the stock tubes (with a very balanced sound signature) are absolutely wonderful with the HD800, though. I've heard opinions both ways on the stock tubes, though, so best try with your own ears. :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #411 of 6,930
I dont feel the mj 2 adds any brightness to the hd 800.
The hd 800 inherently has the spike in the treble region that everyone knows about. If anything the mj 2 tames that to my ears. Personally the stock tubes sounded pretty bad. I guess we all hear things in a different way. I want all the detail the hd 800's have to offer without any uncomfortable sound in the treble region. To me , the mj2 with good tubes delivers that extremely well.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #414 of 6,930
Hi!
Congrats on your aquisition, I would be very interested in your opinions on how the MJ2 pairs with the Ethers (closed version would be even better...!) and what tubes you find fitting for this headphone (hope not only the expensive tubes are a match!). I'm interested in MJ2, and while I have an Uber Biffrost I'm still decinding to either upgrade or going for a GMB in the end I'll have a multibit DAC, looking forward to your opinions, enjoy the new toy!
best regards,

Antonio Rivas

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #415 of 6,930
Well, yesterday I missed the fedex guy...my fault because I couldn't be home in time. So I had the package redirected to the local fedex store for delivery today. Waited ALL day for it to show up there for pickup. The fedex guy usually delivers to the fedex store first thing in the morning. After an hour on the phone I finally got someone who confirmed that the driver missed the package when he was at the fedex store...no schiit. 

Now it will go back to the hub and an attempt to deliver to my house will be made tomorrow. Of course I won't be home. I curse my fate...
mad.gif
##@!!! 

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #416 of 6,930
  Well, yesterday I missed the fedex guy...my fault because I couldn't be home in time. So I had the package redirected to the local fedex store for delivery today. Waited ALL day for it to show up there for pickup. The fedex guy usually delivers to the fedex store first thing in the morning. After an hour on the phone I finally got someone who confirmed that the driver missed the package when he was at the fedex store...no schiit. 

Now it will go back to the hub and an attempt to deliver to my house will be made tomorrow. Of course I won't be home. I curse my fate...
mad.gif
##@!!! 

Ugh, Go back online and redirect to fed ex store..  You've got to get that puppy. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #419 of 6,930
I thought I'd share some thoughts along the way as I go through the evaluation process of this amp. First for starters, I set the mjo2 up like this: GMB>schiit pyst RCA cables>mjo2>Ether Open on a single ended cable. For direct comparison I have the Questyle cma800r receiving a single ended set of Kimber IC cables. (mjo with stock tubes and low gain) I let the amp warm for an hour before doing any listening. 

Compared to the Questyle setup as described above, the Questyle is the better amp. Vocals are more fleshed out and mids in general have a more natural tonality. The mjo2 is punchy and dynamic but a little sloppy. What I mean is that localization of instruments is somewhat blurry and unfocused. The soundstage is decent on the mjo2 but more expansive width and depth on the Questyle. Percussion is decent on mjo2. Kick drums hit pretty hard and lifelike, but brush work with a snare drum lacks finesse. On the Questyle the brush work is easily picked out even with complicated pieces. The Que amp has a smooth and extended treble. Violins have an intoxicating timbre that draws me into the music. Comparatively with the mjo 2, the instruments hits the same notes but the refinement just isn't there in the same way as with the Que amp. The bass on the mjo2 is bold and dynamic. Very good extension but a little loose and bloomy tbh. The bass on the Que is tighter and has equal extension on those low notes. 

The Questyle is better by a comfortable margin under these conditions. Please understand that the Questyle is an exceptional solid state amp and runs about $1500. At this juncture and setup in this way, the mjo2 is most reminiscent of the lyr2 (owned it for a year but don't have it anymore). Maybe slightly ahead of the lyr2 but they are very close. 

Next up...50 hours of burn in, switch stock tubes to a nice NOS pair of miniwatts SQ's and going fully balanced. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #420 of 6,930
To my ear, the HD800 is absolutely wonderful with the Gungnir MB/Mjolnir 2 pair. I'm using rather aggressive tubes right now ('74 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields), which are maybe very slightly aggressive with the HD800 (though they're perfect for other cans). HD800/GMB/MJ2 has become one of my very favorite combinations. It is indeed slightly bright with a stock HD800, but I personally don't find it to be "too bright".

I found that the stock tubes (with a very balanced sound signature) are absolutely wonderful with the HD800, though. I've heard opinions both ways on the stock tubes, though, so best try with your own ears. :)

I thought I'd share some thoughts along the way as I go through the evaluation process of this amp. First for starters, I set the mjo2 up like this: GMB>schiit pyst RCA cables>mjo2>Ether Open on a single ended cable. For direct comparison I have the Questyle cma800r receiving a single ended set of Kimber IC cables. (mjo with stock tubes and low gain) I let the amp warm for an hour before doing any listening. 

Compared to the Questyle setup as described above, the Questyle is the better amp. Vocals are more fleshed out and mids in general have a more natural tonality. The mjo2 is punchy and dynamic but a little sloppy. What I mean is that localization of instruments is somewhat blurry and unfocused. The soundstage is decent on the mjo2 but more expansive width and depth on the Questyle. Percussion is decent on mjo2. Kick drums hit pretty hard and lifelike, but brush work with a snare drum lacks finesse. On the Questyle the brush work is easily picked out even with complicated pieces. The Que amp has a smooth and extended treble. Violins have an intoxicating timbre that draws me into the music. Comparatively with the mjo 2, the instruments hits the same notes but the refinement just isn't there in the same way as with the Que amp. The bass on the mjo2 is bold and dynamic. Very good extension but a little loose and bloomy tbh. The bass on the Que is tighter and has equal extension on those low notes. 

The Questyle is better by a comfortable margin under these conditions. Please understand that the Questyle is an exceptional solid state amp and runs about $1500. At this juncture and setup in this way, the mjo2 is most reminiscent of the lyr2 (owned it for a year but don't have it anymore). Maybe slightly ahead of the lyr2 but they are very close. 

Next up...50 hours of burn in, switch stock tubes to a nice NOS pair of miniwatts SQ's and going fully balanced. :veryevil:  

You are going to see quite a difference after running the mj 2 for awhile with better tubes.
My initial impression was not unlike yours. I got quite a bit of distortion on lower frequncies with the brand new stock tubes. Also with run in on better tubes the soundstage gained depth quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back