Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 7, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #393 of 6,930
Anyone compared Mjolnir 2 and Lyr 2? Considering getting one of them for my TH900's, as I feel my current amp is a bit of an overkill for my needs.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #394 of 6,930
Anyone compared Mjolnir 2 and Lyr 2? Considering getting one of them for my TH900's, as I feel my current amp is a bit of an overkill for my needs.

since the th900 is single-ended with non-replaceable cable, i wld say go lyr 2 for it. u will never b able to fullu take advantage of the mjolnir2 w the th900 so kinda a waste of money ithink. if u plan on havin balanced headphones in the future, maybe worthwhile. maybe.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #395 of 6,930

since the th900 is single-ended with non-replaceable cable, i wld say go lyr 2 for it. u will never b able to fullu take advantage of the mjolnir2 w the th900 so kinda a waste of money ithink. if u plan on havin balanced headphones in the future, maybe worthwhile. maybe.

Kind of disagree.   With the mj 2 you can also go balanced in with a balanced out dac.  You have the gain switch on the front and of course both balanced and se hp outs.
The ability to run headphones balanced in the future should you want to is huge.  The mj 2 is a heck of a amp for the price .  Great synergy with HD 800's .   You definetley need to upgrade the tubes though.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #396 of 6,930
I've been planning on buying a M2 since it was released. I also have an electrostatic amp with balanced inputs. The builder of the ES amp tells me that it's volume control is completely passive. So my thought was to max the volume on the ES amp and run the bal out from the M2 and use it as a preamp when I want to listen to my electrostatics.

I had also planned on buying a Gumby to use with this system but am in the process of getting the multibit upgrade for my current Bifrost. So the Gumby will have to wait for a while. So I would be running single ended inputs from the Bifrost into the M2, and then the balanced outputs to my ES amp. Has anyone else tried anything like this? I'm more or less wondering about any gain or noise issues using the M2 part time as a preamp. With the ES amp havu=ing a passive volume control I think I should be ok, but looking for feed back that has done something similar to this.

Thanks,

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #397 of 6,930

I'm definitely considering getting LCD-2 or 3, or maybe HE-1000 in the future, but not soon. Also I've noticed that while TH900 doesn't require gobbles of power to be driven properly, it does scale up nicely.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #398 of 6,930

Kind of disagree.   With the mj 2 you can also go balanced in with a balanced out dac.  You have the gain switch on the front and of course both balanced and se hp outs.
The ability to run headphones balanced in the future should you want to is huge.  The mj 2 is a heck of a amp for the price .  Great synergy with HD 800's .   You definetley need to upgrade the tubes though.

Can you tell me what you think works well about the HD800's and Mj2? What other amps have you tried them with? Thanks :)

Mjo2 for me possibly today. If I don't miss the fedex guy...

I'd love to hear your impressions about the HD800's and Mj2 from you as well, Matt
beyersmile.png

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #399 of 6,930

Can you tell me what you think works well about the HD800's and Mj2? What other amps have you tried them with? Thanks :)

I'd love to hear your impressions about the HD800's and Mj2 from you as well, Matt
beyersmile.png

I'm also interested in the pairing between the two. I didn't plan on it working out tbh. I bought the mjo 2 for other headphones but would be pleasantly surprised if it worked with the hd800. The original mjo was not good with the hd800 IMO but hey...this is a new mjo. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #400 of 6,930

beyersmile.png

I have had other high end amps (vio 281,  Woo wa6 se , woo wa7) but not with the hd800.   What I love about the HD800/ mj2 pairing is the tubes take some of the edge off the 800's but you lose none of the detail.  It also has lots of power to spare.  When describing the combo....  detail, depth, incredible sound stage, and dead silent noise wise.  Tube pairing is important however.    Upgrading the stock mj2 tubes is a must. The stock tubes to me sounded pretty bad.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #401 of 6,930
Any list of desirable tubes at good price points? I have already grabbed a pair of phillips SQ gold pin. But I'll need a backup set.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #402 of 6,930
  Any list of desirable tubes at good price points? I have already grabbed a pair of phillips SQ gold pin. But I'll need a backup set.

I got a matched pair of Bel Phillips 6922 from upscale audio     http://www.upscaleaudio.com/bel-e88cc-6922-philips-sq-design/   .  After some run in I am very happy with them .    I may eventually want to try a pair of Telefunkin E88cc or something  similar.  However for now I feel no need to try different tubes.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #404 of 6,930
  Kind of disagree. With the mj 2 you can also go balanced in with a balanced out dac.  You have the gain switch on the front and of course both balanced and se hp outs.

sure, it's a plus if your collection consists of balanced headphones & unbalanced headphones. for someone who owns only one pair of single-ended pair of headphones that requires warranty-breaking mods to make balanced... don't see the point of getting a balanced amplifier if you aren't taking advantage of its balanced design. he also only has a single-ended dacs, so the balanced input of the mjolnir will not be used either.

the price difference between the MJ2 vs Lyr 2 is mostly just having balanced or not. for people with only single-ended gear... you basically buy new cables & new dac to take advantage of the features that warrant the price premium of the MJ2. 

contrary to the usual spend-happy mentality here, I think it's best just to get what you need. You can always trade/sell in the future if you change your mind, but why spend the money now on a feature you will likely not use. the man is looking to sell gear to save money. I had the Lyr 2. An amazing piece of gear that is already crazy overkill for the TH900.

Can not wait for your impressions!!!! My finger is already on the trigger hahah

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #405 of 6,930

I'm also interested in the pairing between the two. I didn't plan on it working out tbh. I bought the mjo 2 for other headphones but would be pleasantly surprised if it worked with the hd800. The original mjo was not good with the hd800 IMO but hey...this is a new mjo. 
biggrin.gif

Agree with the original Mojo - HD800 not working.  Will be interested to hear if the Mojo 2 is better.
You heard the HD800 with the HDVA600 - at the meet - interested in a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back