Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 9, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #421 of 6,930
Hi - first post and new mjolnir 2 owner here. I am running with Gumby->Mjolnir 2->HD800. 

I will echo that the mj2 definitely needs a while to burn in. I listened to mine after 30 minutes and it sounded worse than my asgard2 (flatter and brighter). After 4-6 hours it sounded about the same as the a2 and I was starting to get a little worried. I'm new to tubes and not used to burn-in actually making a big difference. But around 10-12 hours it came into its own and I was happy. Now I'm at around 50 hours, have switched to balanced, and am in audio heaven. 
smily_headphones1.gif

MattTCG - definitely interested to hear what you think with the miniwatts - I'm already eyeing those.

shultzee - glad to hear the soundstage can gain depth with better tubes. I gained height after switching to balanced but still don't have much depth. It's the only thing I feel a little missing at this point.

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #424 of 6,930
  @MattTCG @shultzee @kevnin When you guys say miniwatts are you referring to these:
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/philips-miniwatt-sq-e88cc-6922-gold-pin-holland

Excuse me I am n00b when it comes to tubes.

Take a look at this option.   These branded Bel are the same internal parts but are priced more reasonable.   http://www.upscaleaudio.com/bel-e88cc-6922-philips-sq-design/    
I am running them now and they sound very good. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #427 of 6,930

Take a look at this option.   These branded Bel are the same internal parts but are priced more reasonable.   http://www.upscaleaudio.com/bel-e88cc-6922-philips-sq-design/    
I am running them now and they sound very good. 

Cool Thanks
What grade ?

Since the mj2 uses tubes on the input side I would only use the premiums IMHO.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #428 of 6,930
  Ether, hd650 and hd800...all very good on the mjo2. I was surprised at just how good the hd800 pairing was, impressive. 

You doubted me.   It is a sleeper amp for the HD800's .  Incredible  with good tubes and some burn in.  And it gets better.   
I had vilolectrics top amp (v281) , and the Icon HP 8 MK11, which was reported to be a great pairing with the hd 800's  .   I wouldn't trade the mj2 to get either one back.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #429 of 6,930

You doubted me.   It is a sleeper amp for the HD800's .  Incredible  with good tubes and some burn in.  And it gets better.   
I had vilolectrics top amp (v281) , and the Icon HP 8 MK11, which was reported to be a great pairing with the hd 800's  .   I wouldn't trade the mj2 to get either one back.

Nope never doubted you. 
biggrin.gif
 What surprises me is how the mjo2 is able to beat the Questyle cma800r so easily with the hd800. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #430 of 6,930
I have encountered a few times where I could hear some static with my Mjolnir 2 + LCD-X combo using Orange Globes tubes. Is this normal since the X is so sensitive? I honestly do enjoy the X with tubes though, surprisingly.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #432 of 6,930
  Interesting there's a Questyle CMA800r listed in the FS section if anyone else is considering a comparison! 
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif
...I predict that once the mjo is fully unleashed and people have time to evaluate it, this amp is going to make some serious waves. The performance at the price point is stellar. The Schiit dacs may be getting much of the press these days, but the time is coming for the mjo2. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #433 of 6,930
  I have encountered a few times where I could hear some static with my Mjolnir 2 + LCD-X combo using Orange Globes tubes. Is this normal since the X is so sensitive? I honestly do enjoy the X with tubes though, surprisingly.

Static isn't normal.   Doubt if it would be the amp.  Try a few different outlets to see if you are picking up noise through your power source.  2 nd , switch back to your stock tubes to see if it is coming from your orange glow tubes (not likely),
3rd make sure it isn't coming from your source dac/server/laptop, and lastly swap some of your cables if possible.   Personally I find the mj 2 to be dead silent.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #434 of 6,930

Interesting there's a Questyle CMA800r listed in the FS section if anyone else is considering a comparison! 
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif
...I predict that once the mjo is fully unleashed and people have time to evaluate it, this amp is going to make some serious waves. The performance at the price point is stellar. The Schiit dacs may be getting much of the press these days, but the time is coming for the mjo2. 

Totally agree.   However when you first fire it up with those stock tubes (4.00 ea.) you think I am not so sure.  Then after some burn in time with good tubes you can't get the smile off your face.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #435 of 6,930

Static isn't normal.   Doubt if it would be the amp.  Try a few different outlets to see if you are picking up noise through your power source.  2 nd , switch back to your stock tubes to see if it is coming from your orange glow tubes (not likely),
3rd make sure it isn't coming from your source dac/server/laptop, and lastly swap some of your cables if possible.   Personally I find the mj 2 to be dead silent.

Hm my setup is like this:

Tripp Lite LC1200 > PC > Gustard U12 > ADCOM GDA700 > Mjolnir 2....

I do think it might be the cable I'm using because it does run a bit long at 6 ft and it's just a stock one from my printer because I had lost my other cable. Should I get a somewhat decent Amazon or Monoprice one and see if that helps my case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back