Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 28, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #6,916 of 6,930
Here on Head-Fi? That's very disappointing to hear.

Yeah. The whole ordeal, red flags were just lighting up on my radar. The kicker though, is that he appropriated images of an Mjolnir 1 here from two years ago. The ballzy part is that not only did the scammer use old photos...they were MY photos from MY Mjolnir 1 that I sold here from MY listing. There was no bigger what the F moment when he started sending them, but with a different background, and even managed to insert a fake (maybe AI generated) timestamp into one of the photos. That is what kind of sealed the deal. Got mods involved and got their account removed I think, but yeah, can never be to careful these days.

So instead, I got an Mjolnir 2 and will be staying on this island for a while. I guess I'll be stoking the fires in this thread for a bit while everyone else jet sets to the MJ3 promise land and greener pastures. Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #6,917 of 6,930
Yeah. The whole ordeal, red flags were just lighting up on my radar. The kicker though, is that he appropriated images of an Mjolnir 1 here from two years ago. The ballzy part is that not only did the scammer use old photos...they were MY photos from MY Mjolnir 1 that I sold here from MY listing. There was no bigger what the F moment when he started sending them, but with a different background, and even managed to insert a fake (maybe AI generated) timestamp into one of the photos. That is what kind of sealed the deal. Got mods involved and got their account removed I think, but yeah, can never be to careful these days.

So instead, I got an Mjolnir 2 and will be staying on this island for a while. I guess I'll be stoking the fires in this thread for a bit while everyone else jet sets to the MJ3 promise land and greener pastures. Lol.
I'm very glad you saw the red flags and your logic ruled over emotion. Can be difficult at times in this hobby!

And I wouldn't worry too much about how green the grass is in the other pasture. The MJ2 is a fantastic amp. I haven't heard MJ3 (so this FWIW), but a couple whose ears I trust say that while MJ3 is a fantastic solid-state amp, it's still a solid-state amp. There's still magic in these here tube thingies they haven't been able to squeeze into a transistor just yet. :smile:

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #6,918 of 6,930
Not sure if anyone here could answer this question. I'm interested in trying the MJ2, but I realize Schiit does not make Noval LISST anymore (something I wanted to try). They do make the Octal versions for Freya/Saga/Lyr3 and say they made these tubes with these amps in mind. Do you think it is safe to run in an MJ2 with an adapter?
I was wondering the same thing.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #6,919 of 6,930
I'm very glad you saw the red flags and your logic ruled over emotion. Can be difficult at times in this hobby!

And I wouldn't worry too much about how green the grass is in the other pasture. The MJ2 is a fantastic amp. I haven't heard MJ3 (so this FWIW), but a couple whose ears I trust say that while MJ3 is a fantastic solid-state amp, it's still a solid-state amp. There's still magic in these here tube thingies they haven't been able to squeeze into a transistor just yet. :smile:

No doubt. I'm running the classic Gumby A1/MJ2 combo now and its pretty fantastic - this was the sound I've been looking for. I can honestly call it a day. Yeah, tubes still have that magic. Though, Jason and company can come pretty close to SS being tube like with the Piety and Pietus Max though. It really is incredible what they continue to achieve. CeeTee has been making me spend money since his Drop days and still now into Nitsch.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #6,920 of 6,930
I'm finally getting around to tube rolling somewhat. @bcowen This one's in your honor - a pair of GE 5-Star White Label 5670, Bent (Angled?) Square Getter. Not going to lie. These ain't bad at all. Brings out a bit more fullness in the lower ends, without sacrificing top end. Sounds more bloomy in low gain on the MJ2, and tighter (better) on high gain and pushing the mids slightly more forward. Overall pretty solid - clarity and layering pretty maintained and bass not crapping and bleeding all over the mids like some GE tubes I've heard in the past. Not sure if the results get different with Dynamics or a slower headphone, but very good match with Planars. This may be the first (and only) genuine GE tube I can like!

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #6,921 of 6,930
I happen to be a fan of most of the GE tubes I've run in the Mjolnir, mostly 6201 5 Star's, 5670's, and a few 12AT7's (believe it was appended WA but this long after I'm not sure). Good solid tubes that are on the low end of the pricing scale for NOS.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #6,922 of 6,930
I'm finally getting around to tube rolling somewhat. @bcowen This one's in your honor - a pair of GE 5-Star White Label 5670, Bent (Angled?) Square Getter. Not going to lie. These ain't bad at all. Brings out a bit more fullness in the lower ends, without sacrificing top end. Sounds more bloomy in low gain on the MJ2, and tighter (better) on high gain and pushing the mids slightly more forward. Overall pretty solid - clarity and layering pretty maintained and bass not crapping and bleeding all over the mids like some GE tubes I've heard in the past. Not sure if the results get different with Dynamics or a slower headphone, but very good match with Planars. This may be the first (and only) genuine GE tube I can like!
LOL! I *do* feel honored. :smile:

There are quite a number of people that have good things to say about the GE 5670's. I suppose I should try one at some point, but I'd have to keep it secret. 🤣

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #6,923 of 6,930
I happen to be a fan of most of the GE tubes I've run in the Mjolnir, mostly 6201 5 Star's, 5670's, and a few 12AT7's (believe it was appended WA but this long after I'm not sure). Good solid tubes that are on the low end of the pricing scale for NOS.

That's pretty good. I definitely like the cost of the tubes for sure for the 5670s! Otherwise, I've had major bad luck with GE tubes in pretty much all the other types and amps I have tried them on. I do like some of the 12AT7s branded GEs but only because they were originally Ken-Rad, but rebranded when GE took over the plant. Those are phenomenal tubes and a hidden gem if you can find those. On the MJ2 and with my Planars, these GE 5-Star 5670 sound really good.

LOL! I *do* feel honored. :smile:

There are quite a number of people that have good things to say about the GE 5670's. I suppose I should try one at some point, but I'd have to keep it secret. 🤣

If you try them, help it out with copious amounts of alcohol to make the sound more lush and liquid. :smile:

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #6,924 of 6,930
If you try them, help it out with copious amounts of alcohol to make the listener more lush and liquid. :smile:
FTFY...[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 🤪

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #6,925 of 6,930
Not that I'm planning to do much tube rolling but decided to try the Reflektor 6N3P-E tubes. Much to my surprise, these guys lean warm, give fuller (but tighter/controlled) bass, more heft to the low end, still maintaining clarity. Usually, I'm expecting most Russian tubes to max out the upper mids, treble into the sparkle stratosphere etch territory - tubes to get to Grado-esque realms, but the 6N3P-E is not at all like that. Staging is probably slightly smaller sounding than the GE 5670. The GE5670 has a more bloomy bass, but also sounds a bit wider as well.

Very nice tubes, and still to be had at great and reasonable prices. On a budget, these are good to have in your arsenal.

IMG_1259.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #6,926 of 6,930
hi everyone, I picked up a mj2 to match my gumby on the fs forum and I'm having a few problems. If I use my 12Xxx>ECC88 adapter from pulse audio with ECC83, ECC82 or ECC186, I am getting crackling audio/low volumes on one channel with the adapter but sounding good with oem tubes. These were all working fine on a liquid platinum amp. Update... it looks like one of the two adapters is causing the problem - which is really strange.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #6,927 of 6,930
Not that I'm planning to do much tube rolling but decided to try the Reflektor 6N3P-E tubes. Much to my surprise, these guys lean warm, give fuller (but tighter/controlled) bass, more heft to the low end, still maintaining clarity. Usually, I'm expecting most Russian tubes to max out the upper mids, treble into the sparkle stratosphere etch territory - tubes to get to Grado-esque realms, but the 6N3P-E is not at all like that. Staging is probably slightly smaller sounding than the GE 5670. The GE5670 has a more bloomy bass, but also sounds a bit wider as well.

Very nice tubes, and still to be had at great and reasonable prices. On a budget, these are good to have in your arsenal.

IMG_1259.jpg
6n3p and variants were made for decades from 1960s to 1990s, so people production and standards must have changed tremendously

Whatever the cause, there's a huge variation in how they sound in a MJ2.

My absolute favourite MJ2 tubes, above pricey Telefunken, Phillips etc are a pair of very old Reflektor 6n3p-e's. But most of the others in my collection are unremarkable.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #6,928 of 6,930
6n3p and variants were made for decades from 1960s to 1990s, so people production and standards must have changed tremendously

Whatever the cause, there's a huge variation in how they sound in a MJ2.

My absolute favourite MJ2 tubes, above pricey Telefunken, Phillips etc are a pair of very old Reflektor 6n3p-e's. But most of the others in my collection are unremarkable.

Yup. I believe it for sure. Mine happen to be 1970s. But definitely love how they sound. Really knocked me for a loop though.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #6,929 of 6,930
hi everyone, I picked up a mj2 to match my gumby on the fs forum and I'm having a few problems. If I use my 12Xxx>ECC88 adapter from pulse audio with ECC83, ECC82 or ECC186, I am getting crackling audio/low volumes on one channel with the adapter but sounding good with oem tubes. These were all working fine on a liquid platinum amp. Update... it looks like one of the two adapters is causing the problem - which is really strange.

I was about to say that it sounds like the issue could be your adapters since using the native tubes sound fine. I agree its probably strange if your adapters still work fine with the LP.

Also be careful when using ECC83. It's got a very high gain comparably versus the other 12Xxx variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back