Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #6,901 of 6,930
I had the upgraded Bifrost and moved on the the Yggy. The Bifrost was great...but to my ears it doesn't compare to the Yggy.
I personally haven't heard the Gumby but I've read many reviews that compare it favorably to the Yggy.
You do the math.
Have you tried pairing all that with the Lokius? You’d be surprised how the Lokius can make your amp sound. The sound difference between software EQ and manual from the Lokius is literally night and day. And since I like to preserve my hearing, I don’t see any reason to upgrade to tube amps or any more costly solid state amps.

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #6,902 of 6,930
The gumby is an exact match size wise and disappears right underneath the MJ2. It's a little awkward with the Bf2 and the MJ2 trying to put the bf2 on top. Good luck on your search. Give ebay a look. There's 2 on there now lol.
:beerchug:

I had the upgraded Bifrost and moved on the the Yggy. The Bifrost was great...but to my ears it doesn't compare to the Yggy.
I personally haven't heard the Gumby but I've read many reviews that compare it favorably to the Yggy.
You do the math.

You two are some of the reasons I had to stop coming here...I always ended up broke every time I spoke to you both :darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile:

Good to see you gents, hope you're well.

FWIW, I moved from a Yggi to a Holo Audio May DAC (KTE), and from the MJ2 to a Holo Bliss amp (KTE). Missed my MJ2 so much, I'm now running the Bliss as a preamp into the MJ2. It's like icing on the cake.

@cpu235 get some 6922 to 12a*7 adapters, and try some of the 12AT7 variants, they're incredible in the MJ2.

Dec 30, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #6,903 of 6,930
You two are some of the reasons I had to stop coming here...I always ended up broke every time I spoke to you both :darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile:

Good to see you gents, hope you're well.

FWIW, I moved from a Yggi to a Holo Audio May DAC (KTE), and from the MJ2 to a Holo Bliss amp (KTE). Missed my MJ2 so much, I'm now running the Bliss as a preamp into the MJ2. It's like icing on the cake.

@cpu235 get some 6922 to 12a*7 adapters, and try some of the 12AT7 variants, they're incredible in the MJ2.
You see my signature still proclaims my life-long indebtedness to you and Sammy. Hope all is well my brother. Retirement and a pair of Telefunken G73R's are treating me royally.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #6,904 of 6,930
Not sure if anyone here could answer this question. I'm interested in trying the MJ2, but I realize Schiit does not make Noval LISST anymore (something I wanted to try). They do make the Octal versions for Freya/Saga/Lyr3 and say they made these tubes with these amps in mind. Do you think it is safe to run in an MJ2 with an adapter?

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #6,905 of 6,930
Not sure if anyone here could answer this question. I'm interested in trying the MJ2, but I realize Schiit does not make Noval LISST anymore (something I wanted to try). They do make the Octal versions for Freya/Saga/Lyr3 and say they made these tubes with these amps in mind. Do you think it is safe to run in an MJ2 with an adapter?
If the octal LISST really conforms to a 6SN7, then no. Filament current for 6SN7 is 600 mA; that for 6922 (stock tube for MJ2) is 365 mA.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #6,906 of 6,930
If the octal LISST really conforms to a 6SN7, then no. Filament current for 6SN7 is 600 mA; that for 6922 (stock tube for MJ2) is 365 mA.

That is a bummer, but thank you for your wisdom. I wasn't sure how LISST tubes works and if they followed the same parameters as regular tubes or not. It's all wizardry to me. Really appreciate it as always!

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #6,907 of 6,930
That is a bummer, but thank you for your wisdom. I wasn't sure how LISST tubes works and if they followed the same parameters as regular tubes or not. It's all wizardry to me. Really appreciate it as always!
Note the "If". The Schiit website says of LISST "dual gain stage conforming to 6SN7 pinout." There is no mention of voltage (6.3?) or of filament current (600 mA?) ...

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #6,908 of 6,930
Note the "If". The Schiit website says of LISST "dual gain stage conforming to 6SN7 pinout." There is no mention of voltage (6.3?) or of filament current (600 mA?) ...
I know, but it's not worth the risk really. It's the perks of discontinued gear I suppose.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #6,909 of 6,930
Have you tried creating a "Want to buy" listing in the classifieds?
I found a pair this way about 6 months ago when looking for a couple to use in my Freya N

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #6,910 of 6,930
Have you tried creating a "Want to buy" listing in the classifieds?
I found a pair this way about 6 months ago when looking for a couple to use in my Freya N
I may still do that. Or probably have to ask Schiit directly to see their take on using the latest LISST tubes with an adapter, and see if any of the tube constraints apply or not.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #6,911 of 6,930
Or probably have to ask Schiit directly to see their take on using the latest LISST tubes with an adapter, and see if any of the tube constraints apply or not.
So I did send a message out to Schiit helpdesk and their response to me on using Octal LISST with an adapter is: "I would not recommend that. Most likely it will damage the Mjolnir 2. We are working on getting LISST for Mjolnir 2, however we have been having a difficult time getting parts.".

Which is an interesting response because why try to focus on parts intended for an out of production amp? Or crazy if they got something in the works for the future that would use Noval LISST tubes.

Anyways, always a long shot at best. Dem's the breaks.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #6,912 of 6,930
Hey Slade01! 9 pin LISST do occasionally come up for sale, took me about 6 months to finally get a pair in the classifieds here. I've mainly been using them for burn in after mods.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #6,915 of 6,930
I already did, thanks. I'm just a bit on guard now with WTB ads. I just recently put in a WTB ad for an MJ1 actually and almost got scammed.
Here on Head-Fi? That's very disappointing to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back