Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,831 of 2,252
Wow, thank you! It makes me want to spend more time writing...but there's a lot of schiit to do before the end of the year!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,832 of 2,252
  BTW,

Using the Momentum On-ears now... NO STATIC nor noises from the amp!!!
It seems the AIAIAIs are definitely the problem (the cable).
I'll try the other cable that came with the AIAIAIs to make sure...

At least I don't have to change the amp! :wink:

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Jason, bought 3 of your books on Amazon yesterday (Mecha's and Mars...)! LOL. Will get the Panverse Three later on. Thanks.

I had this issue too with my TBSE (DJ100 with removable cable) and Magni. My stock cable was dead so I used a cheap cable with poor shielding. Got weird noises as well, but very rarely was it audible. I tested about 6 different cables I had around and some gave me zero noise at all. Strangely the worst one was the Cardas HP1 (cost me $35) and Monoprice Car Audio (thinner) cables. The super thick ones from Monoprice were perfect but nobody is dumb enough to use those as a headphone cable.

My favorite store bought cable is the $9 Ge Ultra Pro (Target). It's the kind that has metal shielding and a clear plastic cover. Looks cool too. I only bought it for the shielding!

One reason I love cheap Mogami is that it has really good shielding.

Could always try some Ferrite Beads on the Magni wall wart too. $3 or so at Radio Shack.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,834 of 2,252
  Anyone know why I'm getting no sound with the magni?  I'm using a 2 RCA to 3.5mm cable to my motherboard's onboard audio, and I have no sound.

Hey lolwatpear,

Just checking the obvious first - is your 3.5 connected to the 'sound out' port on your mobo? Also, do you have your sound prefs directing audio output to a specific device or port other than the mobo sound out?

Is the Magni switched on?

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,835 of 2,252
  BTW,

Using the Momentum On-ears now... NO STATIC nor noises from the amp!!!
It seems the AIAIAIs are definitely the problem (the cable).
I'll try the other cable that came with the AIAIAIs to make sure...

At least I don't have to change the amp! :wink:

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Jason, bought 3 of your books on Amazon yesterday (Mecha's and Mars...)! LOL. Will get the Panverse Three later on. Thanks.

wink_face.gif
Glad you got that sorted!

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,836 of 2,252

Hey lolwatpear,

Just checking the obvious first - is your 3.5 connected to the 'sound out' port on your mobo? Also, do you have your sound prefs directing audio output to a specific device or port other than the mobo sound out?

Is the Magni switched on?

Hey, yes I had my hd600 plugged into the green port (which worked fine) and plugged the 3.5m of the cable into that and then the rca cables to the magni.  I flipped the switch so the magni lit up, and plugged the 1/4' adapter of hd600 into magni.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,837 of 2,252
  Hey, yes I had my hd600 plugged into the green port (which worked fine) and plugged the 3.5m of the cable into that and then the rca cables to the magni.  I flipped the switch so the modi lit up, and plugged the 1/4' adapter of hd600 into modi.

hmm...sounds like your chain is intact. Perhaps the Y-cable has a failure point? Or the 1/4 adapter may be loose?

Your mention of 'Modi' may have been a typo, but just in case - do you have a usbDAC connected and configured? If so that would need to run to the Magni directly.

Other than that, not quite sure...

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,838 of 2,252

hmm...sounds like your chain is intact. Perhaps the Y-cable has a failure point? Or the 1/4 adapter may be loose?

Your mention of 'Modi' may have been a typo, but just in case - do you have a usbDAC connected and configured? If so that would need to run to the Magni directly.

Other than that, not quite sure...

yeah I only have a magni, which is why I'm using the rca to 3.5mm.  I'm guessing it can only be the cable.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,839 of 2,252
  yeah I only have a magni, which is why I'm using the rca to 3.5mm.  I'm guessing it can only be the cable.

Have you tried any other source (i.e. your Phone's headphone out, or any MP3 player's headphone out) with the same RCA cables?

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,841 of 2,252
I don't know if it's the Modi or Magni but during bassy song, there's crackling and static noise. Also, I can hear some noise when I turn the knob all the way up. I don't know if it's just me, but when I turn the knob all the way down, I can hear some static "scratching" noise and when I turn it all the way up, right before I hit the end I hear the same static "scratching" noise. Is anyone else having these issues?

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,842 of 2,252

Hey gelocks,

I encountered a similar scratchiness in the pot 'round that area of the dial and it turned out to be the extension cable from my phones was acting like an RF antenna ( here's the post in case you wanted to check it ). Just wanted to put that out there in case your setup might have this going on.

tongue_smile.gif

When you say extension cable do you mean the cable that connects  your headphones with the amp? Is it possible that my Q701s are doing the same?

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,843 of 2,252

When you say extension cable do you mean the cable that connects  your headphones with the amp? Is it possible that my Q701s are doing the same?

Hey Autra,

Yeah - I was using an extension cable at first and realized after going through all kinds of setup permutations to isolate the issue that it was grabbing RF and inserting it into my signal. It is possible that the line coming out from your Qs may be the culprit, but I'm not quite sure.

Does the 'scratching' noise increase/decrease in volume depending on the rotation of the dial?

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,845 of 2,252
How is the Magni / modi combo with denon ah-d5000?

The M/M stack pairs well with the D5ks
wink_face.gif

Like the Momentums in this setup before, the stack provides more than enough power to drive 'em. The soundstage opened up quite a bit with the Denon's and though they swim on the dark side, the experience is quite live. I have found some limits in the range of these phones (anything with plentiful, washy mids seems a bit bogged down - kind of chronicling my M/M+D5k journey here ) but the Magni/Modi is a delightful first amp+DAC experience; very revealing. I am duly impressed with Schiit and pending what new surprises they have in store for CanJam/RMAF2013, I'mma build my main home listening rig with some of their more advanced Fu ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back