1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by barry s, Dec 12, 2012.
Tags:
First

Back
114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123
125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134
Next

Last
  1. senseabove
    So I'm just getting into vinyl, and a friend's helped me select some decent very entry-level equipment. I've got a nice speaker set up going, but I need a headphone setup now.

Most of the Magni discussion I've seen has revolved around using it with a DAC. I'm looking for one good to use with a turntable, though.

Would the Magni be a good choice if I'm looking for something to fill the volume-control blank in a chain of turntable:V-LPS phono stage:source selector: ??? :headphones (Senn HD 555s)?

2. nehcrow
    How can you get this combo to work in Australia?
    Soz, I'm not 100% sure how to make the Magni/Modi compatible in Australia

3. renji1337
    Schiit offers 115v USA plug, 230 UK and 230 European, but i think you can buy adapters online? email Schiit.

4. Alamei
    I just purchased a Magni, and I've run into several issues with it, which I think are related to grounding. I've been in touch with the Schiit techs, and they think the issue may be DC power on my AC line, but I figured I would run my situation by you all to see if you had any suggestions before I started trying to buy voltmeters and power conditioners and the like. The following is the original email I sent to the techs:

Since then, I've also tested sourcing the Magni from a phone and a Nintendo DS, and experienced the same issues with both (ruling out the computer/soundcard output as the issue).

Any ideas on other potential solutions, or should I be ordering a voltmeter from Amazon as the next step?

Alternately, are there other cheap amplifiers (< $100) available that are less susceptible to old/poor wiring? Should I be looking at a USB DAC/Amp combo like a FiiO E10?

5. gelocks
    Hello Alamei and welcome to head-fi!

Just go a few pages back...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/1815#post_9851119

I was experiencing similar "scratchy" noise at about 9 to 11 o'clock. Keep reading below my post for users inputs and even Jason's explanation on this. In my case it turned out to be the headphone cable I was using with my AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru headphones!

Good luck!

6. Alamei

I saw that exchange, but it sounded like your issue was resolved by switching cables, whereas my issue remains when swapping cables/headphones/everything I can except the wall wart (which I don't have an extra of to test). I originally thought that the scratchy noises were a problem with the pot, since they only showed up in certain ranges, but since many of the issues seemed to be tied to (or amplified by) conductive contact, I figured I would try to sort that problem out before determining whether there was a separate issue with the pot.

7. Traum
    Alamei,

This might sound like a really simple suggestion -- have you tried taking your Magni to other places that have better grounded outlets?

8. Alamei

I'm currently in the process trying to find some place with good wiring and grounding to test it (my whole neighborhood is old, poorly wired houses).

9. gelocks

That kind of sucks.
    If it turns out NOT to be the amp, then you will probably face the same issues with other amps...

10. Alamei
    I remembered that our kitchen was remodeled somewhat recently and tested the outlets. It turns out our kitchen actually has real grounds, unlike the rest of the house. Testing the Magni in the kitchen gets rid of the hum, but leaves the volume pot scratching noises. So perhaps the hum is related to lack of grounding/bad wiring and the scratchy sound is just a bad volume pot?

11. MattyB37
    I just placed an order for a Magni about 5 minutes ago (yay!) I already have (and love) a Modi that I use with my Audioengine A2s and I just got my first pair of decent headphones  Beyer DT990/250s) in the mail this earlier week. Needless to say I'm pretty excited.

12. RJ58

I'm in a similar boat myself, just ordered some DT880 600ohms and a magni/modi combo...cannot wait to try them out when they arrive.

13. metaldood
    Heh me too. I ordered Modi couple of weeks back. Now I ordered Magni to drive DT990 250ohms. :)

14. metaldood
    Can anyone suggest a case for M/M combo and which will fit the power adapter and cables.

15. ChainRazer
    I've been thinking of buying an amp, and I would like to know if it is possible to run this amp through RCA -> USB?
    and also how does the modi/magni compared to the leckerton UHA-6S.MKII and JDS's C5?
    I know I'm making a comparison of an portable amp to a desktop amp, but I would like to know how this 2 products compare.

First

Back
114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123
125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134
Next

Last