Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #558 of 23,494
Same here... I even took pains to rip the kids' music to .m4g they would 'get' it. No dice.

People laugh when hearing I have 30K invested in audio. Of course, new your NWO was about 1/3 of my total investment, but I'm not laughing.

It's a hobby that has paid off with hours of enjoyment each day. Some guys like boats, which aren't cheap (kinda same $30k investment), but realistically how often can you use a boat if you work? I got hooked in college in the '70s, working in a Stereo shop in Gainesville, FL. Damn that '70 Japanese audio stuff was so damn sexy! But then again so were those UofF co-eds!!!:)

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #559 of 23,494
It's a hobby that has paid off with hours of enjoyment each day. Some guys like boats, which aren't cheap (kinda same $30k investment), but realistically how often can you use a boat if you work? I got hooked in college in the '70s, working in a Stereo shop in Gainesville, FL. Damn that '70 Japanese audio stuff was so damn sexy! But then again so were those UofF co-eds!!!:)

Bob...are you saying that you remember the 70's? That whole decade is a bit foggy to me.
wink.gif

Yes, quality audio is expensive...and so are Harleys. The best things in life aren't cheap, are they?
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #560 of 23,494
After following this thread for sometime I upgraded my tubes from stock to AMPEREX ORANGE LABEL PQ 6DJ8 / ECC88 a few months back. A veil has been lifted off the music.  I used to find the Lyr too warm but now the sound is perfectly balanced. Mids are clear ,detailed, musical,  Bass is  tight, strong, punchy & highs sound a little better.  Thank you Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Can anyone recommend Tubes which are even more detailed & have better Sound stage (but not warm, I prefer detailed sound with crisp airy highs)

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #563 of 23,494
Just bought a pair of amperex orangle globe 6dj8 ecc88 1970 matched pair from mercedesman from ebay. Did I get the wrong year? Got them to be used with the he500.

i got a pair of those too, they are very nice, i've only listened briefly though, only about 10 or so hours on them

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #567 of 23,494
How do I get the tubes already in the lyr out? Any trick of the trade?

i use one of those rubberized jar opener things, just pull , occasional gentle wiggle

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #569 of 23,494
These work great! The smaller end is perfectly sized to fit the 6DJ8 tubes.

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-EH-Tube-Glove/dp/B000UMCLIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380940879&sr=8-1&keywords=tube+glove

Users who are viewing this thread

Back