Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #571 of 23,494
Tubes for dt990? Or dt880

Aren't the Beyers known for being a bit "bright" in the high end? If you're looking to soften the treble then some Mullard ECC88 (British made) should do the trick.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #574 of 23,494
I got a question or two for the experts among us:

I have bought a mixture of tubes of a certain brand which are not necessarily matched - Will unmatched tubes just sound e.g. unbalanced, or will it cause some damage to the Lyr and/or my ears? Is it imperative that tubes are matched? They are, apparently, tested. 

Secondly, are all genuine NOS tubes from same brand and same batch / year going to have similar enough measurements without specifically matching them? 

(Please excuse the fact that I have no electronics knowledge (was always a mental block for me at school). I have also spent many hours reading the old thread, and have not come across an answer, but that does not mean to say it ain't there... )

Thanks in advance :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #575 of 23,494

I have bought a mixture of tubes of a certain brand which are not necessarily matched - Will unmatched tubes just sound e.g. unbalanced, or will it cause some damage to the Lyr and/or my ears? Is it imperative that tubes are matched? They are, apparently, tested.

The question is physically matched or electrically matched? If they are all the same brand-type and different years, say a one - four year spread, and are close electrically, you probably won't notice a difference. If two tubes are far apart electrically, you may notice channel imbalance, different noise levels, or different tonality, among other things. You are not likely to break anything unless a tube is a dead short. It's not uncommon to find OEM tubes marked with company names, like HP, etc. One can buy tubes with different labels (but same manufacturer) and end up with an electrically matched pair.

Secondly, are all genuine NOS tubes from same brand and same batch / year going to have similar enough measurements without specifically matching them?

You are most likely good to go. Rotate them in and listen for channel imbalance. If you can't hear any, don't worry about it an enjoy the tubes. If you do, swap one out for another until it's gone. Then repeat; this is 'ear matching.'
I buy tubes from Russia that aren't specified as matched, and they are perfect. It also depends on the tube you purchase. For example, a 6N1P-EV is specd' and tested for consistency, tube per tube, by the manufacturer (in my case the USSR of 1978), and they are ALL of the same output and triode balance if new. Same goes for tubes like 7308s (tight-spec 6DJ8).

(Please excuse the fact that I have no electronics knowledge (was always a mental block for me at school). I have also spent many hours reading the old thread, and have not come across an answer, but that does not mean to say it ain't there... )

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #576 of 23,494

That pretty much answers all my questions - thanks very much :)

I have also been buying tubes from Russia cos they are just so cheap and to my ears, they sound great. 

I have been studying photos (construction, etc.) and reading small print in the ebay ads, but a lot of the time, they are sold in mixed bunches vs. matched pairs of say the various Philips tubes.

So I figure I can buy a few bunches of tubes made within a few years of each other and with matching constructions, then try to just match by ear and who knows, maybe I strike gold. 

Anyway, I now feel happy to just roll away without worry. 

Thanks once again for your help :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #577 of 23,494
I've spent a good, long while reading this thread and it's treasure-trove of information...

It made me realize that getting a set of socket-savers would be a really good idea, but when it comes to info on pairing tubes to headphones, I feel like the odd man out, having only the K701s to work with.

I had my Lyr shipped with the JJs, which wasn't much of a step up from the 2008-vintage Creative X-fi card the amp replaced.  Since then, I've received a set of Tesla gold pins and a set of OTK-marked Russian 6N23n.  Either set by itself is an excellent upgrade.
If I had to characterize all 3, I would call the JJs dry, analytic and constrained.  The Teslas present a much-wider soundstage, but are much like stuffing a full-range speaker in a corner--they offer a somewhat-considerable bass-boost, sometimes to the detriment of the high frequencies.  The OTKs have the same wide-open soundstage, but the low-end boost seems to push back the 701's natural roll-off into more of a cliff for free...

I've put 40-50 hours into all three sets; I didn't mention the "tape hiss" noise the Teslas make after a while in operation--the pins are rather scruffy-looking at the moment.

I'm curious to hear impressions of how some of the other well-regarded tubes sound with the 701s...

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #579 of 23,494
  so are these the famous orange globes people keep talking about? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1964-O-GETTER-MATCH-PAIR-SWEET-TONE-4F1-/221289744658

No, those are Bugle Boys.

Here are the Orange Globes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1968-MATCHED-PAIR-SWEET-SMOOTH-TONE-/321223988866?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aca711682

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1967-MATCHED-PAIR-/321222319557?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aca579dc5

That seller is trusted, BTW.

Cheers, JC

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #580 of 23,494

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1968-MATCHED-PAIR-SWEET-SMOOTH-TONE-/321223988866?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aca711682

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1967-MATCHED-PAIR-/321222319557?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aca579dc5

Cheers, JC

i have a pair of these orange globes they are great,
highly recommend this seller as well

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #581 of 23,494

Cheers, JC

Thank you good sir! I went ahead and picked up a pair, can't wait :)

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #582 of 23,494

Short Answer: u need a tube tester!

Long answer: even NOS tubes from the same production batch and factory can vary by over 20%. In the golden age of audio, such a variance was still acceptable.

Unless u test the tubes using a tube tester, statistically speaking, the odds are against you when u try to get matched tubes based on similar date / production codes.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #583 of 23,494
Short Answer: u need a tube tester!

Long answer: even NOS tubes from the same production batch and factory can vary by over 20%. In the golden age of audio, such a variance was still acceptable.

Unless u test the tubes using a tube tester, statistically speaking, the odds are against you when u try to get matched tubes based on similar date / production codes.

Hi there, 

And how might this mis-match manifest itself vis-à-vis what one can audibly perceive? Is it just as PassiveO said, i.e. channel imbalance, different noise levels, or different tonality, or is this purely subjective, or what is your opinion? Or should I just suck it and see, so to speak?

(Not sure there is space in my life, or office, or relationship for that matter, for a tube tester)

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #584 of 23,494
Different tonality applies when you mix tubes in the l/r channel of different brands or of the same brand but made in different factories or production years.

Channel imbalance applies when your left or right tube have different tube gain because they are not matched.
Instrument separation is a function of channel balance so this audio property will be adversely affected too.

Whether you can hear any channel imbalance or not is dependent on the sensitivity of
(A) your equipment
(B) your hearing

BTW, There are some tube sellers on Ebay who offer Amplitrex tube tester services for a few $$$ per tube.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #585 of 23,494
Different tonality applies when you mix tubes in the l/r channel of different brands or of the same brand but made in different factories or production years.

Channel imbalance applies when your left or right tube have different tube gain because they are not matched.
Instrument separation is a function of channel balance so this audio property will be adversely affected too.

Whether you can hear any channel imbalance or not is dependent on the sensitivity of
(A) your equipment
(B) your hearing

BTW, There are some tube sellers on Ebay who offer Amplitrex tube tester services for a few $$$ per tube.

That sounds like something which might suit - I'll look into that. 

Thanks for the information :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back