Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #17,282 of 23,494
Same here. I keep checking in to see how the cooking is going. And folks like rnros tell me great tubes and AuditoryCanvas sends me goodies and then I keep reshuffling the burn-in order. I'll get to them all eventually...I think.
I switched the Gumby to my tube dac so I can burn in 2 sets of tubes at the same time.

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #17,283 of 23,494
And since my amp has 6 tubes, I'm using up all that life on the 4 good ones that don't need the burn in. Too lazy to switch them out when the amp's on just to burn. Life ain't fair.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #17,284 of 23,494
“It’s damn hard listening to music, you know that.”

Gotta find time brother as it’s food for the soul.

Tube capabilities aside, don't take the ability to simply listen for granted. I just listened to music on my rig for the first time in a week, after getting wiped out with the worst flu I've had in years, and it all still sounds like schitt...high end is painful, and the bass and low mids are virtually missing....probably still need another week for my head to clear and my hearing to get back to normal. Feel like I just rose from the dead...No easter pun intended.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #17,285 of 23,494
Tube capabilities aside, don't take the ability to simply listen for granted. I just listened to music on my rig for the first time in a week, after getting wiped out with the worst flu I've had in years, and it all still sounds like schitt...high end is painful, and the bass and low mids are virtually missing....probably still need another week for my head to clear and my hearing to get back to normal. Feel like I just rose from the dead...No easter pun intended.

I like puns. I hate burn-in.
Get better bro.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #17,286 of 23,494
I like puns. I hate burn-in.
Get better bro.

Get yourself one of these.

burner1.jpg

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #17,288 of 23,494
Does anyone know which tube position is the left/right channel on the Lyr 2?

ie: What stereo channel (left or right) is the front tube located closest to the front-panel (where volume knob is located)?
Quickest way to tell is to lightly tap one of the tubes, you should hear more of a 'ting' in one ear. Alternatively, pull one tube, then turn it on and play some music. You won't do any damage, just make sure the amp is off when you pull the tube and plug it back in after.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #17,289 of 23,494
Glad your feeling better bro, been a rough winter health wise for me, nothing major nasal infections and sore throats.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #17,290 of 23,494
Glad your feeling better bro, been a rough winter health wise for me, nothing major nasal infections and sore throats.
Glad you and AC are felling better.
AC, you musta been really down for the count.
As many health issue I have and there’s many and serious, I never get sick though. It’s really weird but I always count my blessings.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #17,291 of 23,494
Quickest way to tell is to lightly tap one of the tubes, you should hear more of a 'ting' in one ear. Alternatively, pull one tube, then turn it on and play some music. You won't do any damage, just make sure the amp is off when you pull the tube and plug it back in after.

I thought tapping was not recommended on tubes and I was afraid to run it without one of the tubes installed... I guess no one else has tried to figure out which tube goes to which channel?

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #17,293 of 23,494
I thought tapping was not recommended on tubes and I was afraid to run it without one of the tubes installed... I guess no one else has tried to figure out which tube goes to which channel?

A gentle tap is fine. I don't recommend continually tapping them. It's fine to run without a tube installed. On the MJ2, as you're looking at the front of the amp, the left tube is the right channel, but I don't know with the Lyr, as they're rotated front to back rather than side by side. I'm also not sure if every amp is wired the same. A tap or one tube out will tell you for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back