Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #17,311 of 23,494
With about 100 hours on the 396A they're starting to sound pretty good. They were pretty underwhelming until 60-70 hours in. I still have some more headphones to try with them, but decent definition and bass so far. Nowhere near as magical as the Tung Sol 2C51s, though, I have to say. Those have been the best things I've found so far. I should probably get a spare set of those while they're still cheap. I should probably also get some more adapters, before the trade war with China gets going in earnest.

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #17,312 of 23,494
I sold my MJ2, that was on the rack with my 2 channel gear, because I just wasn't using it. I found that I don't listen to headphones in the 2 channel room very often if at all. I only occasionally use headphones with my Vali 2 when I am at my desk where my nearfield setup is. You see, I much prefer speakers to headphones. I only use them when the wife is asleep or is on a call.

My current thinking has me comparing the Lyr 3 to the Vali 2. If the Ly3 is noticeably better as both a headphone amp and preamp, I will probably sell the Vali 2. This is likely. Then, I will have to decide what to do about a headphone amp in the 2 channel room. I may get a second Lyr 3 or I may go much higher end with something like an Eddie CurrentZANA DEUX Super or DNA Stratus. Or, I could end up with nothing at all......

Bottomline? I could have some nice 5670 tubes for sale before too long.

I'd be listening mostly to the speakers too if I had the Double Impacts. Us plebeians gotta settle for Lore's. :tired_face:

I've been running the Vali2, and just received the Lyr3. The Lyr is still breaking in, but I'll post some impressions once it gets all settled down.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #17,314 of 23,494
I liked the 396As best with the HD600 of the headphones I tried with them. I will need to come back to them with the ones I didn't try (including my three heavy hitters) for a fair evaluation.

Switched to the 6C8Gs this morning. Wow, these are impressive monsters. Took a quick listen to the Moonlight Sonata with the HD600 and was instantly impressed. Wonderful piano tone. These are going to be nice, and they're not burned in at all yet.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #17,316 of 23,494
I liked the 396As best with the HD600 of the headphones I tried with them. I will need to come back to them with the ones I didn't try (including my three heavy hitters) for a fair evaluation.

Switched to the 6C8Gs this morning. Wow, these are impressive monsters. Took a quick listen to the Moonlight Sonata with the HD600 and was instantly impressed. Wonderful piano tone. These are going to be nice, and they're not burned in at all yet.

@rnros wasn’t lying about how wide the 6C8Gs sound. The Ken-Rads have a nice linear sound from top to bottom. Not sure about the Tung-Sol 6C8Gs.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #17,318 of 23,494

I remember reading about these on Brent Jesse’s site:

“Here above is an example of fake Amperex Bugleboy 6922 tubes. There are several clues to the trickery being done here: The tube is an A-frame top getter. The A-frame getter support was used after the Bugle Boy logo was discontinued and the Amperex orange globe logo was being produced, for the type 6DJ8 tube. The 6DJ8 is electrically the same as a 6922 but the quality is inferior. The A-Frame getter was also NEVER used on a 6922 tube! The type font is thin and wrong for Amperex tubes. The Bugle Boy cartoon character is what is known as "the thin man" which was a thinner and more detailed picture, used only from about 1962-1964, but never on A-Frame getter tubes (which are 6DJ8 types, 1972-1976 vintage) and never on 6922 tubes. None of the tubes have the factory date codes near the bottom. This indicates a tube made after 1975. So what we probably have here is an Amperex made 6DJ8 A-Frame getter tube, likely made after 1975. These would have come with the orange or green globe logo on the glass, and standard pins. Someone has carefully removed the labels, put on the fake 6922 Bugle Boy labels, and then electroplated the pins with gold. This attempts to deceive the unwitting buyer, who thinks they are buying a real 6922, into spending 4-times the amount that the 6DJ8 tube is really worth!”

Looks like it’s exactly what we’re seeing here.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #17,319 of 23,494
The last photo in the auction is not even an A-frame tube........

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #17,322 of 23,494
Lmao, going to pull the tubes from eBay, you guys are too smart:)

What, are you attempting to be the new Old Guy Radiola? :laughing:

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #17,325 of 23,494
So I bought a RCA 6sn7gt vt231 that finally arrived yesterday. After opening it to inspect it I could hear a little tinkling sound coming from inside the tube. After trying to inspect it through the mica coating with a bright light, I believe I saw that it is a small piece of glass. They seller did not disclose this in the auction, but he did say it was fully tested for leaks and shorts so he would have had to know it was loose in there.

My question is should I get in contact so I can return it for a refund or do you think it's safe to keep and use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back