Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #17,329 of 23,494
So I bought a RCA 6sn7gt vt231 that finally arrived yesterday. After opening it to inspect it I could hear a little tinkling sound coming from inside the tube. After trying to inspect it through the mica coating with a bright light, I believe I saw that it is a small piece of glass. They seller did not disclose this in the auction, but he did say it was fully tested for leaks and shorts so he would have had to know it was loose in there.

My question is should I get in contact so I can return it for a refund or do you think it's safe to keep and use?

A loose piece of glass is not necessarily a show-stopper. It could be a spurious fragment that was left during manufacture, and then busted loose during subsequent handling. I've run across several tubes over the years with a tinkling piece of glass, and the tube(s) worked fine and sounded fine. As long as the getter flash is still bright silver, then it's not something that has broken internally and resulted in a leak. All that said, I agree with TK that if you can return for a refund (or replacement), that would be the best way to go. If not, I'd try it and see what it sounds like without worrying about it causing a problem with the amp. As glass is an insulator, there's no risk of it causing a short if it gets lodged between leads internally.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #17,331 of 23,494
A loose piece of glass is not necessarily a show-stopper. It could be a spurious fragment that was left during manufacture, and then busted loose during subsequent handling. I've run across several tubes over the years with a tinkling piece of glass, and the tube(s) worked fine and sounded fine. As long as the getter flash is still bright silver, then it's not something that has broken internally and resulted in a leak. All that said, I agree with TK that if you can return for a refund (or replacement), that would be the best way to go. If not, I'd try it and see what it sounds like without worrying about it causing a problem with the amp. As glass is an insulator, there's no risk of it causing a short if it gets lodged between leads internally.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

If he won’t return it at least I know it’s useable. I’m more irritated that it wasn’t disclosed in the first place. If I would have know then I probably would have bought or bid on a different tune. If it was only a $15 tube then I would just keep it and not worry, but since that isn’t the case I opened up a return.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #17,332 of 23,494
Checked in on the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs with about 24 hours burning. The iPod I'm using for the burn-in spins up Beethoven's first symphony, Osaka Philharmonic conducted by Takashi Asahina.

Holy moley, @rnros was right. These are incredible with orchestral music. Lush, liquid, and huge sounding. These are amazing tubes. And the burn-in has barely begun....can't wait to get back to these bad boys.

Oh, and this is with the HD600s still, a decidedly un-fun headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #17,335 of 23,494
Now that I have the MJ2. I may be interested in some of those 5670’s. Let me know if you decide to sell

Sure. if they go up for sale I will post here to give you guys a heads up.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #17,336 of 23,494
I totally agree. I've had tubes with a glass fragment loose inside that tested and worked totally fine.

It could have also come dislodged in the mail.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

If he won’t return it at least I know it’s useable. I’m more irritated that it wasn’t disclosed in the first place. If I would have know then I probably would have bought or bid on a different tune. If it was only a $15 tube then I would just keep it and not worry, but since that isn’t the case I opened up a return.

Did you message him before opening a return? Buyers are usually more helpful when you message them before taking action via ebay/PayPal.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #17,338 of 23,494
Hey tube people, check my sig, no longer own a 6922 amp.

And I would be interested in the Seven Western Electric JW 2C51's

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #17,339 of 23,494
I appreciate you're not looking to sell it all separately, but if you do decide to break the pack up, I'd be interested in the Teslas.

And I would be interested in the Seven Western Electric JW 2C51's

Duly noted, gentlemen. If I decide to part out the set, I will let you know.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #17,340 of 23,494
Did you message him before opening a return? Buyers are usually more helpful when you message them before taking action via ebay/PayPal.

I actually just initiated the return and explained in the description portion of it why I would like the return. I’m not necessarily mad or anything because of it, I just don’t feel like shelling over the cash for something that had a fault, even if it’s small and doesn’t affect the performance.

It’s all good though, they accepted the return and I will leave positive feedback on how they easily resolved the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back