Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #17,343 of 23,494
Dude, you'll sell them all if you split them up. I understand you don't want to do that and I get it. Shipping, PP, time/energy......
GLWYS man! Hope you sell the entire lot.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #17,345 of 23,494
Those 1958 pinched waists went for $306. It was fun watching the meter climb in the last minute.

At 55 hours on the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs, the sound is just luscious. I'm not sure I ever want to take them out of the Lyr. Strings, brass, wood winds, piano, all sound right and rich. I thought maybe I should get a backup pair but the Canadian seller just has one tube, not a pair, listed on eBay. I wonder if we wiped out his stash.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #17,346 of 23,494
Those 1958 pinched waists went for $306. It was fun watching the meter climb in the last minute.

At 55 hours on the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs, the sound is just luscious. I'm not sure I ever want to take them out of the Lyr. Strings, brass, wood winds, all sound right and rich. I thought maybe I should get a backup pair but the Canadian seller just has one tube, not a pair, listed on eBay. I wonder if we wiped out his stash.

I was watching those bad boys shoot up like a rocket.

Those Ken-Rads are real nice. Glad you're also enjoying them.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #17,347 of 23,494

At 55 hours on the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs, the sound is just luscious. I'm not sure I ever want to take them out of the Lyr. Strings, brass, wood winds, piano, all sound right and rich. I thought maybe I should get a backup pair but the Canadian seller just has one tube, not a pair, listed on eBay. I wonder if we wiped out his stash.
I was listening to a pair of 1952 Ken-Rads re branded for Zenith. Switched to my first pair of 6N3Ps which seem to be opening up more just in the first 15 minutes. I just don't know if anything comes close to the tube awesomeness of those 6C8G Ken-Rads...

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #17,348 of 23,494
Alright so I haven't had a whole lot of time to experience my Lyr 3, but I do have some small impressions to share for those who may be interested in getting one down the road.

Listening was down using Tidal -> Gumby -> Lyr 3 -> LCD2c

I purchased the version that was straight amp, no additional card added. However I'm beginning to wonder if I should have went with the multibit version. I swore I would never sell my Gumby after getting it, but I don't really need the balanced outputs or dual rca outputs. It seems crazy that a full multibit card can fit in the alloted space in the Lyr 3 chassis. It would make a great little combo that would free up some much needed space on my shelf.

Speaking of the chassis, I have to say the new design is pretty great. I was afraid coming from the old "U" style chassis it wouldn't look nearly as nice sitting atop my Gumby, but it looks fantastic. Schiit really knows how to make a striking product that looks sexy, but still remains understated and not overly gaudy.

Getting to the sound portion, I can't say I'm hugely impressed with the 6sn7 tube style. Schiit is right they are a very linear tube, almost to the point where I feel like some of the tubey goodness is missing from what I found when I first discovered the original Lyr. I'm not saying that they sound bad, but of all the 6SN7s I've tried so far I haven't found one that gives the same extension, body and impact of a good 6922 or 2c51. I got a Tung-sol 6sn7gtb for a reasonable price and it was by far the best sounding I've found so far. However after switching over to a 6DJ8 Bugle Boy it sounded a little flat, almost anemic. Kick drums and bass lines had their punch back! Also the sound stage seems a little more compressed on the top and bottom. It does extend fursther out to the sides, but doesn't reach as high or low. Also it's not quite as 3D sounding, but that could be because I'm used to a more intimate sound stage with the LCD2c. I have a few other 6SN7s coming in later that I will try, I hope they give some more excitement than the ones I've already tried.

I don't want people to think that the 6SN7 is a bad sounding tube, I just don't think I've found one yet that gives me the same tube "feels" that I get from some of the 6922/2c51 variants. I think folks will be happy with what they hear on first listen and if they decide to chase some of the other tubes out there they are going to be thoroughly impressed!

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #17,349 of 23,494
Alright so I haven't had a whole lot of time to experience my Lyr 3, but I do have some small impressions to share for those who may be interested in getting one down the road.

Listening was down using Tidal -> Gumby -> Lyr 3 -> LCD2c

I purchased the version that was straight amp, no additional card added. However I'm beginning to wonder if I should have went with the multibit version. I swore I would never sell my Gumby after getting it, but I don't really need the balanced outputs or dual rca outputs. It seems crazy that a full multibit card can fit in the alloted space in the Lyr 3 chassis. It would make a great little combo that would free up some much needed space on my shelf.

Speaking of the chassis, I have to say the new design is pretty great. I was afraid coming from the old "U" style chassis it wouldn't look nearly as nice sitting atop my Gumby, but it looks fantastic. Schiit really knows how to make a striking product that looks sexy, but still remains understated and not overly gaudy.

Getting to the sound portion, I can't say I'm hugely impressed with the 6sn7 tube style. Schiit is right they are a very linear tube, almost to the point where I feel like some of the tubey goodness is missing from what I found when I first discovered the original Lyr. I'm not saying that they sound bad, but of all the 6SN7s I've tried so far I haven't found one that gives the same extension, body and impact of a good 6922 or 2c51. I got a Tung-sol 6sn7gtb for a reasonable price and it was by far the best sounding I've found so far. However after switching over to a 6DJ8 Bugle Boy it sounded a little flat, almost anemic. Kick drums and bass lines had their punch back! Also the sound stage seems a little more compressed on the top and bottom. It does extend fursther out to the sides, but doesn't reach as high or low. Also it's not quite as 3D sounding, but that could be because I'm used to a more intimate sound stage with the LCD2c. I have a few other 6SN7s coming in later that I will try, I hope they give some more excitement than the ones I've already tried.

I don't want people to think that the 6SN7 is a bad sounding tube, I just don't think I've found one yet that gives me the same tube "feels" that I get from some of the 6922/2c51 variants. I think folks will be happy with what they hear on first listen and if they decide to chase some of the other tubes out there they are going to be thoroughly impressed!

It comes with a new stock tube doesn't it? I think your impressions of the 6sn7 will change when you try some good NOS ones.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #17,350 of 23,494

For those whose budget could stretch to $306, and if the tubes are as spruiked that is a great price on that pair

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #17,351 of 23,494
It comes with a new stock tube doesn't it? I think your impressions of the 6sn7 will change when you try some good NOS ones.

Yeah I had it shipped with the list and new stock electro harmonix. However most of my listening has been done with either a vintage Tung-sol 6sn7gtb, Sylvania 6sn7gta and kenrad vt231. Maybe they all need a little more burn in, but I didn’t think any of the tested as NOS when I bought them a few years ago. I have a GE vt231 and an great glass RCA coming so maybe they will be better.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #17,352 of 23,494
Yeah I had it shipped with the list and new stock electro harmonix. However most of my listening has been done with either a vintage Tung-sol 6sn7gtb, Sylvania 6sn7gta and kenrad vt231. Maybe they all need a little more burn in, but I didn’t think any of the tested as NOS when I bought them a few years ago. I have a GE vt231 and an great glass RCA coming so maybe they will be better.

oh wow, ok. Yeah, maybe try more burn in. Or maybe you do just prefer the other variants.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #17,353 of 23,494
Hey guys,
After closer inspection I'm not sure the 6C8G I bought are actually Ken-Rad. Please have a look and tell me what you think. Thanks! 20180409_223402.jpg 20180409_223308.jpg 20180409_223445.jpg

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #17,354 of 23,494
oh wow, ok. Yeah, maybe try more burn in. Or maybe you do just prefer the other variants.

I’m going to give the ken-rads some more burn in and also the Tung sol and see if that helps out. I have plenty of tubes at the moment (thanks mostly to you and TK) so I think I’m set with plenty of options!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back