Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #17,252 of 23,494
Fortunately for me the deal expired on the first and nobody took me seriously!

Aw, man. Guess that's what I get for not reading the fine print. :frowning2:

Just as well...I have a Lyr 3 on the way, so maybe I should give away all my 9-pinners. And adapters. But wait...if I turn the adapter upside down, can I use it the other way? :grinning:

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #17,253 of 23,494
Yes, I am thinking about replacing my Vali 2 with a Lyr 3. If I do that, I won't have any device that uses 6922/5670 tubes.......

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #17,255 of 23,494
Yes, I am thinking about replacing my Vali 2 with a Lyr 3. If I do that, I won't have any device that uses 6922/5670 tubes.......

You can purchase an adapter and still use your current tubes with the Lyr 3.

Per Schiit:

949A8620-B62B-4CD7-90DB-55618E8F9182.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #17,257 of 23,494
Quite the different look. The Mimby looks like a little toy sitting on top.
The WE JW’s are sounding really good right now. Listening to some vintage Holy Wars by Megadeath and it’s making me sweat bullets and I want to run full out sprint by the end of that track.
Still waiting on this guy to get back to me on the Gumby. These sure don’t go up very often.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #17,258 of 23,494
Philipstube1.jpg Philipstube2.jpg Philipstube3.jpg

If anyone is interested in a few single 6922's please PM me. I have one too many tubes I'm looking to get rid of.
I also have this rare Philips Miniwatt PCC88 (7DJ8) D-getter pinched waist Holland early 50s
Code on tube: DJ2 delta 7G
Number on top of tube: 173

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #17,259 of 23,494

If anyone is interested in a few single 6922's please PM me. I have one too many tubes I'm looking to get rid of.
I also have this rare Philips Miniwatt PCC88 (7DJ8) D-getter pinched waist Holland early 50s
Code on tube: DJ2 delta 7G
Number on top of tube: 173
Wholly crap bro. I REALLY like that Miniwatt. Wish is was a set.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #17,260 of 23,494
Quite the different look. The Mimby looks like a little toy sitting on top.
The WE JW’s are sounding really good right now. Listening to some vintage Holy Wars by Megadeath and it’s making me sweat bullets and I want to run full out sprint by the end of that track.
Still waiting on this guy to get back to me on the Gumby. These sure don’t go up very often.
Hell yea for rocking some Megadeth! \m/

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #17,261 of 23,494
I'm finding smaller ensembles generally benefit most from tube sound. Full orchestras not so much other than with the Tung Sol 2C51 so far. We will see how the 396A burn in. Looking forward to them and the 5670 triple micas.

Orchestral music with tubes? Oh yeah. You just have to find the right tubes. TS 2C51 is a good start, but there are better for orchestral. That is if the recordings are good. : )
And those same tubes will also do wonders for small ensemble recordings. In fact, with great tubes, the challenge becomes finding great recordings.
With reference to what you have listed, want you want for orchestra is a tube that can also do the sub bass with accuracy while maintaining an extended, but sweet/airy top end.
And please, no bloom, boom, sheen, shimmer, lifts or dips, at any of the frequencies. Should be able to handle the full dynamic range w/o losing detail/texture/timbre or spacial cues.
Not easy, I know. But there are a few that are better than most. And... Depends on the amp/DAC of course.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #17,262 of 23,494
Hell yea for rocking some Megadeth! \m/

I know Dan’s cables can be expensive but plan on grabbing a balanced cable for the AFOs. Makes them quite punchy. The PW Amperex and some of the Russians paired damn well with it. Hell, the GE 5* Triple Mica had me smiling for being such a cheap tube and still kicking other tubes butts.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #17,263 of 23,494
You can purchase an adapter and still use your current tubes with the Lyr 3.

Sure. But I have a bunch of really nice 6SN7 tubes in drawer that sound better than the 5670 family of tubes.

I ordered a Lyr 3 a couple of hours ago.....

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #17,264 of 23,494
I know Dan’s cables can be expensive but plan on grabbing a balanced cable for the AFOs. Makes them quite punchy. The PW Amperex and some of the Russians paired damn well with it. Hell, the GE 5* Triple Mica had me smiling for being such a cheap tube and still kicking other tubes butts.
Was going to pull the trigger from Impact audio and would you know it...he's taking a break to catch up on orders. I'll wait as I've heard nothing but good stuff about their work and quality, plus price.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #17,265 of 23,494
Orchestral music with tubes? Oh yeah. You just have to find the right tubes. TS 2C51 is a good start, but there are better for orchestral. That is if the recordings are good. : )
And those same tubes will also do wonders for small ensemble recordings. In fact, with great tubes, the challenge becomes finding great recordings.
With reference to what you have listed, want you want for orchestra is a tube that can also do the sub bass with accuracy while maintaining an extended, but sweet/airy top end.
And please, no bloom, boom, sheen, shimmer, lifts or dips, at any of the frequencies. Should be able to handle the full dynamic range w/o losing detail/texture/timbre or spacial cues.
Not easy, I know. But there are a few that are better than most. And... Depends on the amp/DAC of course.

Bob, and those would be (drum roll please...) ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back