Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 2, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #17,266 of 23,494
Was going to pull the trigger from Impact audio and would you know it...he's taking a break to catch up on orders. I'll wait as I've heard nothing but good stuff about their work and quality, plus price.

I ordered a fantastic cable from him last year when I had the Hifiman HEX V2. Nothing but quality from IA. Never tangled and they felt/looked wonderful.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #17,268 of 23,494
Some hints would be nice

I think @rnros could possibly be referring to the Ken Rad 6CF8s? But if you’re purchasing the new Lyr 3; I have a feeling he has other 6NS7 tubes in mind.

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #17,270 of 23,494
I see there are 6SN7 to 6922 adapters but I don't know whether they can be used in a Lyr 2.

EDIT: mmm no looks like the heater values are too high. So that's not an option.

The 2 isn't two months old so I'm not going to the 3, at least not for a good while.

I do have the 6C8G but haven't gotten around to rolling them yet. Long list of burn in to go. It is fun though experimenting with different combos of headphones and tubes to massage the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #17,271 of 23,494
I see there are 6SN7 to 6922 adapters but I don't know whether they can be used in a Lyr 2.

EDIT: mmm no looks like the heater values are too high. So that's not an option.

The 2 isn't two months old so I'm not going to the 3, at least not for a good while.

I do have the 6C8G but haven't gotten around to rolling them yet. Long list of burn in to go. It is fun though experimenting with different combos of headphones and tubes to massage the sound.

As seen in the Lyr 3 FAQ here:

http://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-3

But…but…but…I have about $4,537 in tubes for my Lyr 2, but now you changed the tube type!
Well, leaving aside the sanity of spending 10x the amount in tubes as on the amp, yes, life is unfair; change is the only constant; you have to break eggs to make omelets, and all those platitudes that you probably don’t want to hear. So, here’s the deal: we changed tube type (from noval, 6DJ8-family tubes, to octal, 6SN7-family tubes) because they sound better and perform better. In fact, the 6SN7 tube family is one of the most linear tubes ever made—as evidenced by the amazing performance of Lyr 3 in high gain mode.

But…I’m just not happy with better performance!
We also changed because the tube world is changing. Rolling two tubes is becoming more problematic, as tube prices increase. With Lyr 3, you don’t have to worry about matching two tubes, or the need for two tubes inherently doubling the price of your rolling adventures. Plus, there are some quite decent new production 6SN7s out there, which makes them viable well into the future.

But…I still have all these tubes for the old Lyr!
Yes, and if you want to use them, you can still use them in Lyr 3, with an adapter. Lyr 3’s plate voltage isn’t very different than Lyr or Lyr 2.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #17,274 of 23,494
Bob, and those would be (drum roll please...) ????

Where is it? The drum roll... LOL
Just making the point that tubes are really good with orchestral! Guess I should have finished the thought.
But, you know, we have had this discussion already. We had very different experience with the same tube.
Really does depend on the DAC/Amp and headphones.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-930#post-13726712

Some hints would be nice

OK, reading down I see you have the Lyr2. So that and the MJ2 are both limited to 300mA heaters.
So for MJ2/Lyr2 I do like the Ken Rad 6C8G, early '40s, the JAN issue in the original box.
Ridiculous price, if you don't have this one, try it. Seem to be very few left. Need at least 60hrs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ken-Ra...tes-Dual-Triode-VT-163-Tube-NIB/152968081711?

On the 9 pin options, I like the RFL 6N3P-E, '70s or '80s are fine. The 'I' version is also fine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N3P-E-6CC42-6385-ECC42-tubes-Lot-of-2-pcs-NOS/272861535849?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Tri...2-2C51-6385-ECC42-China-6N3-1pc/382177894391?

The TS 2C51 was the last 9 pin I tried, big thanks to Bill for that. I think it's an excellent tube. Really fine, in fact.
But for orchestral I do prefer the RFL 6N3P-E, some other genres, the TS 2C51. And the WE 396A.
Others have continued to explore other Russians and Americans, so there may be many more.
You just have to try them with your gear and headphones.
Beyond the 300mA limitation, there are many other options.
I have and use a lot of different tubes, LOL, they seem to get more and more strange. But they sound good!

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #17,275 of 23,494
The adapters for the Ken-Rad just showed up at last today so that's a timely reminder that they've been sitting in my tube drawer for weeks. I'll try those next after I finish burning in the 396As. I also have a set of 1961 6N-3P-E Reflektors and a set of 1985s as well so I'll need to move them up as well. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #17,276 of 23,494
The adapters for the Ken-Rad just showed up at last today so that's a timely reminder that they've been sitting in my tube drawer for weeks. I'll try those next after I finish burning in the 396As. I also have a set of 1961 6N-3P-E Reflektors and a set of 1985s as well so I'll need to move them up as well. Thanks for the tips!

You are SET! Some fun times ahead. Look forward to your impressions.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #17,277 of 23,494
Where is it? The drum roll... LOL
Just making the point that tubes are really good with orchestral! Guess I should have finished the thought.
But, you know, we have had this discussion already. We had very different experience with the same tube.
Really does depend on the DAC/Amp and headphones.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-930#post-13726712

OK, reading down I see you have the Lyr2. So that and the MJ2 are both limited to 300mA heaters.
So for MJ2/Lyr2 I do like the Ken Rad 6C8G, early '40s, the JAN issue in the original box.
Ridiculous price, if you don't have this one, try it. Seem to be very few left. Need at least 60hrs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ken-Ra...tes-Dual-Triode-VT-163-Tube-NIB/152968081711?

On the 9 pin options, I like the RFL 6N3P-E, '70s or '80s are fine. The 'I' version is also fine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N3P-E-6CC42-6385-ECC42-tubes-Lot-of-2-pcs-NOS/272861535849?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Tri...2-2C51-6385-ECC42-China-6N3-1pc/382177894391?

The TS 2C51 was the last 9 pin I tried, big thanks to Bill for that. I think it's an excellent tube. Really fine, in fact.
But for orchestral I do prefer the RFL 6N3P-E, some other genres, the TS 2C51. And the WE 396A.
Others have continued to explore other Russians and Americans, so there may be many more.
You just have to try them with your gear and headphones.
Beyond the 300mA limitation, there are many other options.
I have and use a lot of different tubes, LOL, they seem to get more and more strange. But they sound good!

You ask rnros a question, you get a complete answer. Funny thing is with my first pair of the RFL 6N3P-E, one immediately fried. I ordered 2 pair for like 5 bucks to replace it and they are still sitting on my desk unopened. When Bob turned me on to them and many others it was just when the 2C51 wave hit this thread. I got so burned out burning in, many haven't been given a fair listen. So many tubes, so little time. It's damn hard listening to music, you know that.

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #17,278 of 23,494
You ask rnros a question, you get a complete answer. Funny thing is with my first pair of the RFL 6N3P-E, one immediately fried. I ordered 2 pair for like 5 bucks to replace it and they are still sitting on my desk unopened. When Bob turned me on to them and many others it was just when the 2C51 wave hit this thread. I got so burned out burning in, many haven't been given a fair listen. So many tubes, so little time. It's damn hard listening to music, you know that.

“It’s damn hard listening to music, you know that.”

Gotta find time brother as it’s food for the soul.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #17,279 of 23,494
“It’s damn hard listening to music, you know that.”

Gotta find time brother as it’s food for the soul.

Lol, I hear you. It’s not the listening part. It’s listening with raw tubes that aren’t delivering what you know your system can. I’m just impatient !!!

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #17,280 of 23,494
Lol, I hear you. It’s not the listening part. It’s listening with raw tubes that aren’t delivering what you know your system can. I’m just impatient !!!
Same here. I keep checking in to see how the cooking is going. And folks like rnros tell me great tubes and AuditoryCanvas sends me goodies and then I keep reshuffling the burn-in order. I'll get to them all eventually...I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back